Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Bullet weight variance on PF and accuracy

Rvajma

I just received some 124gr JHP and was weighing some of the projectiles to help when go to chrono to figure out PF.  Of the 20 or so I measured, they ran from 123.2gr to 124.6 gr, with none of them actually measuring 124 on the nose.  Question is, would you batch them in weight ranges and load them batches, or just say the hell with it and mix them all together?  Loading match ammo with them, so want to make sure I am consistent as possible for both PF and accuracy.

Thanks

Usually just run them. If I was worried about it, I'd find a bullet that is made to tighter weight tolerances. Sometimes you have to push aside "but I really like company x". You can still like company x, it's just their product doesn't meet the needs you have.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

I was looking more for POI shifts in terms of accuracy.  I shoot some matches with 25-30 yard 6" steel, so 2-3 inch POI shifts would make an impact.  That is why I asked the question, not that I am trying to drive tacks at 7 yards on an A zone.  So was looking for info from more experienced shooters.  Thanks

6 minutes ago, Rvajma said:

So was looking for info from more experienced shooters.

I think you've already gotten that.

It's really not enough of a variance to worry about. If you were loading long-range ammo for say, Camp Perry, it would likely become an issue. But for what we're doing it won't matter.

1 hour ago, Rvajma said:

I was looking more for POI shifts in terms of accuracy.  I shoot some matches with 25-30 yard 6" steel, so 2-3 inch POI shifts would make an impact.  That is why I asked the question, not that I am trying to drive tacks at 7 yards on an A zone.  So was looking for info from more experienced shooters.  Thanks

my experience has been switching from 115 to 125 grain bullets at roughly the same PF I don't get enough POI shift to bother adjusting the optic

I would use the lightest bullet weight (123.2) and use that weight in calculating your desired power factor and then the heavier bullets will most surely make it.  I doubt that the weight difference you have will change your poi enough to be worried. 

If your POI shifts more than 1/4" between those bullets, there is something wrong with your load.  FWIW, my 115 major load and 124 minor load hit the same POI at 25 yards.

If your load has a reasonable PF margin and single digit SDs, don't worry about dropping to minor because they happened to pull the lightest bullet.