Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Which gun for a red dot?

Stafford

I’m a Glock fan and want my CO gun to be similar to my carry guns so I use a 34.

That said, the Sig Legion is the place to start if you are starting out and not tied to a platform.

Of course, there’s nothing wrong with the metal guns. It all boils down to the gun that you’ll practice with. Practice and it’ll serve you well regardless of the brand.

I’m running a G17 MOS. Figured didn’t need the longer sight radius. Sigs are popular here for CO as the optics are made locally. Local GM who is often the match winner shoots a 320 so metal guns don’t seem necessary.

Was only half joking,,, CZ P09 I believe now has a factory optic cut, and good magazines. And the Walther match steel stryker gun Q5 looks pretty sweet. Super nice trigger out of the box. Probably route I would go if I was serious about getting into CO as USPSA. 

My choices are a CZ Shadow 2 or a Glock 17 Gen 5 (non MOS). I kind of feel like I should get a dovetail mounting plate and try a dot on the G17. Then practice, try it out in competition and then decide what to do. If it''s a great improvement to my accuracy and enjoyment, then I might consider having a slide milled. And if I want to have the Shadow 2 or Glock cut on, then I could at that point. 

My choices are a CZ Shadow 2 or a Glock 17 Gen 5 (non MOS). I kind of feel like I should get a dovetail mounting plate and try a dot on the G17. Then practice, try it out in competition and then decide what to do. If it''s a great improvement to my accuracy and enjoyment, then I might consider having a slide milled. And if I want to have the Shadow 2 or Glock cut on, then I could at that point. 

If I was considering Glock for CO, I would strongly suggest the MOS rather than a dovetail mount. They are not significantly more expensive.

All of the dovetail mounts put the dot significantly higher above the slide, and are significantly less rigid.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, Stafford said:

If you already have the G17, a dovetail mount is relatively inexpensive if you wanted to try out CO before cutting your slide. Easier and cheaper way may be to find someone with a setup that you can try out so you don't have to buy the dot and mount.

As has been discussed in some of your other threads, pick one and go.  Analysis paralysis is not helping you decide, or get better, and neither is a random sampling of an internet forum.  Everyone will have an opinion, but it doesn't matter because they are not you.

While this forum is often a great resource to virtually "try before you buy" and get honest feedback on gear, no one here can shoot the equipment for you on the clock at your match.  It's not an inexpensive hobby and we've all probably spent money we regret, but for the $35-50 for a dovetail mount just go buy one and strap it on.  Shoot it a bunch and then make an honest assessment.  If it doesn't work, sell it and move on to the next experiment.

Are you not enjoying the S2 in Production or G22 in Limited?

I assume you're shooting factory ammo, so there might be someone at your local matches who'd let you run their backup gun for a match or two to try it out. We had a B-class Production Glock shooter who pondered buying a CZ.  I let him borrow a S2 and 75 for a few weeks to see if it'd be worth it to him. He's stuck with Glock and now shoots CO.  Your local network might be a more valuable resource than internet opinion if you're shooting matches regularly.

I have definitely enjoyed shooting the S2 in Production. I've only spent a little time shooting the G22 but I like it as well. I am shooting factory ammo so I will be slowing down on competing for a while as I don't want to deplete what I have left. So, it gives me time to try something different. Right now, I can purchase a dot cheaper than a case of ammo. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/13/2020 at 7:06 AM, zombywoof said:

Dovetail plate on the S2, no brainer.

This is what I went with. Holosun 407CO V2 with an EGW mounting plate on my Shadow 2. Had it installed by a gunsmith this morning. If I like it, and decide to stick with a dot, I’ll have the S2 milled.

I went with the shadow. Main reason is that is what gun I shot in production and enjoyed it. I bought a new one and had Cajun mill the slide and put a DPP on it. Fun gun to shoot for sure. I am now shooting PCC and haven't picked up the pistol for a match in a while.. Best of luck in your ventures! Enjoy

1 hour ago, Stafford said:

Why do you prefer the higher dot. Everything I’ve read says get it as low as possible.

The higher dot has always been just fine for me. I can switch between open and CO and they index the same. I just don't see the need for it. I made master with a dovetail plate if that means anything.

Plus once you mill, you're stuck with that platform. If you go to sell it, it can always be put back to stock.

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/4/2020 at 8:20 AM, zombywoof said:

The higher dot has always been just fine for me. I can switch between open and CO and they index the same. I just don't see the need for it. I made master with a dovetail plate if that means anything.

Plus once you mill, you're stuck with that platform. If you go to sell it, it can always be put back to stock.

Makes since I'm trying out co from limited major switched jobs have weekends off to shoot matches now probably sell my limited rig to help fund an open gun, if I stay with it.