Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Good and bad 40 brass

Hello all, I’m just starting to load 40 for the first time and I was wondering if there was any brass I had to watch out for. For example, in 9mm the CBC headstand is trash, and you need to watch out for stepped cases. Anything similar to this with 40 brass? I had read a couple of old threads that the “FC” headstamped brass was from an old factory and had caused people problems. Is this still the case? I have some stamped “FC 12” through 14 or 15 I don’t remember exactly. Is this brass newer and ok to use?

I will be loading to major PF also.

Thanks for any advice guys.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I load 40 for for my limited TSO. SIG P226. And G20 (40 barreled).

I use a Lee undersized die. And have yet to run into a case that couldn’t be resized and primed.

Glock bulged 40 brass used to be an issue a longtime ago but I don’t think you see that much any more. And it’s pretty apparent when it’s there. The lee undersized die usually takes care of them. If not you might have to squeeze a couple through some type of push through die.

Use a case gauge and it will catch any of the bulged cases.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The big difference between 9mm and 40 is that with 40 you can use a push through die to resize the case and get rid of any glock bulge. Google with this and you'll find all the us sources carry them.  "Redding G-RX Carbide Base Sizing Die"

Otherwise I find the same brands you learn to lean away from in 9mm you still lean away from in 40. Although saying that, one of the most irritating brands for me in 9mm is S&B because of the primer pockets and as I think about it I don't know if I've ever run into S&B in 40 brass. Same with the AMERC that has a reputation for off center holes in the base of the brass. Probably just a lot more junk companies in the 9mm market than in 40.

I load 40 for for my limited TSO. SIG P226. And G20 (40 barreled).

I use a Lee undersized die. And have yet to run into a case that couldn’t be resized and primed.

Glock bulged 40 brass used to be an issue a longtime ago but I don’t think you see that much any more. And it’s pretty apparent when it’s there. The lee undersized die usually takes care of them. If not you might have to squeeze a couple through some type of push through die.

Use a case gauge and it will catch any of the bulged cases.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I had heard about this problem a little bit. Was debating getting a push through sizer like mentioned below for those that do not pass gauge. Might look into the lee die though. Will that cause me any problems with coated bullets? I have ~1500 bayou .401” then will be using Blues if they ever make it to my house.

You don’t discriminate head stamps when loading?

Nickel.  I make sure  loaded nickel rounds first aren’t cracked then shoot them at matches to get rid of them.  Nickel cracks way sooner than straight brass. sooner than later practicing with nickel brass will involve having to get out the bullet puller and start whacking.

AND WMA military crimped 40 is a royal pain in the ass.  I used a primer pocket reamer and swage and some still had high primers.

Recently, I’ve had issues with primer pockets on FC10 headstamp brass.  CBC and S&B also cause problems, but I see them a lot more when loading 9mm.  Every company in the Milky Way has made 9mm brass,  but not .40.  Loading .40 is a smoother process for me due to generally better brass and bigger bullets/brass (easier to pick up).  The EGW undersized die has also been helpful.  

Edited by deerslayer

I have the lee push through die, but since switching to the Lee undersize die I haven’t really had to use it.

I think the bugled brass for the most part has gone away since most manufacturers are using supported chambers. I’m sure it still happens and can be found but not like it was years ago.

The lee and the EGW are the same die. Lee is cheaper I believe? Lee makes them for EGW, again, I believe.

As far as the oversized bullets go, that’s a Pandora’s box. I say no, as I used it with lead bullets when I first started reloading and I didn’t have any issues. But that was also a long time ago. I think I may have pushed the cases through after resizing, but before loading? That may be an option but then you have to do them all, not just the ones that fail the gauge.

I have always used the Lee factory crimp die (which is needed with the Lee push through kit) no matter which bullets I used, and never experienced any issues. But you’ll get people who swear up and down it swages bullets down. Who knows.

I guess I’ve gotten lucky but I haven’t come across hardly any split cases beside a few nuclear 10MM here and there. Also never come across a swaged 40 case.

I don’t sort anything beside 308 precision rifle cases. I also sort Lake City 5.56, but all other .223/5.56 goes in the same bucket for bulk loading. I use LC 5.56 for an accuracy loads in AR’s and Rem 700 .223. But as far as pistol cases go..from the bucket to the tumbler to the case feeder. If you use a nice smooth stroke you can feel instantly when the sizing or priming operation doesn’t feel right. Almost before it happens.

For handgun self defense loads I use new brass but keep that segregated from everything else and only use it once.

The big difference between 9mm and 40 is that with 40 you can use a push through die to resize the case and get rid of any glock bulge. Google with this and you'll find all the us sources carry them.  "Redding G-RX Carbide Base Sizing Die"

Otherwise I find the same brands you learn to lean away from in 9mm you still lean away from in 40. Although saying that, one of the most irritating brands for me in 9mm is S&B because of the primer pockets and as I think about it I don't know if I've ever run into S&B in 40 brass. Same with the AMERC that has a reputation for off center holes in the base of the brass. Probably just a lot more junk companies in the 9mm market than in 40.

IV had that same problem with the S&B brass as well with 9mm, i have run into it with 40 and have separated it and may try to load it later.

But have you had any problems with the FC headstamp? Because IV never had a problem with it in 9, but heard it has a thin case web or something in 40?

I have used FC 12 40 brass quite a bit and have had zero issues with it.  I have a batch that I have loaded multiple times for practice  and it has been fine. 

Good to know, thanks. I didn’t have a ton of it in my brass so I just tossed it. Maybe 15 cases out of a 5 gallon bucket so nbd

Down here near the border there is lots of .40 brass around from the Border Patrol. While they use the purple Winchester stuff now you used to find lots of Both the regular Federal and the FC 12 headstamp so I have used both types with no problems. 

Don't buy LEO brass.  Most of it has crimped primer pockets.  I you reload mixed HS range brass, use a good sizing die and the Lee Factory Carbide Crimp die.  The FCD sizes the case on the way down and again on the way up.  One I started using that die I had zero problems with Glocked brass.

I’ve had issues with older Winchester brass but the new stuff is ok.  I prefer to load Federal/Speer for accuracy, but most times for practice ammo it’s whatever makes it past the split neck inspection.  I don’t mess with crimped pistol brass and trade it to a friend that likes it for some reason.  The only cases I’ve ever had fail were old Winchester and old FC nickel brass.