Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Romeo3 Max Reliability?

Flea

We tested out a bunch of Slide mounted optics Including the Romeo 3 at work we ran them through a one day “torture” test. Couple thousand rounds through each weapon system (Glock 17 MOS).  We hit them against 4x4 posts while holstered to simulate running into things. Dropped them in the dirt and the Romeo 3 held zero and never skipped a beat. But to be honest everything else we tested did also... I liked the FOV much more on the trijicon SRO and I’m assuming the 3max is the same internals as the standard Romeo 3 with the bigger lens so it should be GTG.

But to answer your question we couldn’t get it to break under slightly abusive conditions. granted that was just one day though. 

This may help you out.

Edited by razerok1

Results may very. Mine did not hold up well. I’m not here to bash or say any optic is better than the next optic. Just sharing my personal experience with both optics mounted on the same platforms.  My Max has about 500 rounds where it would not hold zero and then could not be adjusted to set zero to where POA matched POI.  I sent it in for warranty and got a replacement (new optic) within 2 weeks. No correspondence of what happened they just sent a new optic. I have a buddy that has probably a couple of thousand rounds on two Romeo 3 Max optics with no issue. I have read where others have not had issues either. In contrast, my SROs have not failed. Probably about 10k on my first SRO and 2k on my new one.  Like just about every optic seems to be a mixed bag in regards to durability.  I will be running my new Romeo 3 Max over the next year to see how durable it is. I would prefer this optic works out in the Romeo 3 Max seems to be the best optic in regards to sun glare. Especially pointing the optic in the direction of the sun when the sun is low on the horizon.

All optics have been run on my X5 Legions mounted directly to the slide on a Springer Precision adapter plate. 

Edited by Boomstick303

14 minutes ago, Boomstick303 said:

Results may very. Mine did not hold up well. I’m not here to bash or say any optic is better than the next optic. Just sharing my personal experience with both optics mounted on the same platforms.  My Max has about 500 rounds where it would not hold zero and then could not be adjusted to set zero to where POA matched POI.  I sent it in for warranty and got a replacement (new optic) within 2 weeks. No correspondence of what happened they just sent a new optic. I have a buddy that has probably a couple of thousand rounds on two Romeo 3 Max optics with no issue. I have read where others have not had issues either. In contrast, my SROs have not failed. Probably about 10k on my first SRO and 2k on my new one.  Like just about every optic seems to be a mixed bag in regards to durability.  I will be running my new Romeo 3 Max over the next year to see how durable it is. I would prefer this optic works out in the Romeo 3 Max seems to be the best optic in regards to sun glare. Especially pointing the optic in the direction of the sun when the sun is low on the horizon.

All optics have been run on my X5 Legions mounted directly to the slide on a Springer Precision adapter plate. 

Thanks. Does that plate move the SRO optic far enough back to keep brass from getting stuck under the hood?

8 minutes ago, Flea said:

Thanks. Does that plate move the SRO optic far enough back to keep brass from getting stuck under the hood?

Springer actually has two plates in regards to the SRO.  The first release of the adapter plate the front of the SRO did hang over the ejection port ever so slightly.  Their most current release places the SRO all the way back, to where it does not hang over the port at all.  I believe this is the same position for the Romeo 3 max, but I would have to verity that.  

On a side note, I would have to see video of this claim that the optic was causing jams in regards to the Springer mount and the SRO.  Even when the SRO was hanging over the ejection port I never had a jam due to the optic.  I am curious if people were just having issues with the 14# stock spring in the Legions and some manufactured ammo.  I had these issues as well.  As soon as I went to a 12# spring or lower (currently running an 11# Wolff 1911 spring) I have next to zero jam issues. I have not witnessed the optic mounting position jamming any other shooters gun.  Again this is my personal experience.  Maybe it is recoil spring, power factor dependent, and/or casing dependent on if casings get jammed due to the optic.  Others may have had their optic mounting position jam their gun, but I have never personally experienced or seen it.   

I bought the updated adapter plate  to see if there was a difference in the amount of powder residue on the optic after firing rounds through it.  I am on the fence on which adapter plate works better.  I do not think they sell the first adaptation of that adapter plate.  

From the Springer website the Romeo 3 Max adapter plate places the optic back and does not sit over the ejection port.  The Romeo 3 Max has never jammed my X5 Legion.  Small sample size though, in that I only had about 500 rounds through the gun before it had issues.

8 minutes ago, Boomstick303 said:

Springer actually has two plates in regards to the SRO.  The first release of the adapter plate the front of the SRO did hang over the ejection port ever so slightly.  Their most current release places the SRO all the way back, to where it does not hang over the port at all.  I believe this is the same position for the Romeo 3 max, but I would have to verity that.  

On a side note, I would have to see video of this claim that the optic was causing jams in regards to the Springer mount and the SRO.  Even when the SRO was hanging over the ejection port I never had a jam due to the optic.  I am curious if people were just having issues with the 14# stock spring in the Legions and some manufactured ammo.  I had these issues as well.  As soon as I went to a 12# spring or lower (currently running an 11# Wolff 1911 spring) I have next to zero jam issues. I have not witnessed the optic mounting position jamming any other shooters gun.  Again this is my personal experience.  Maybe it is recoil spring, power factor dependent, and/or casing dependent on if casings get jammed due to the optic.  Others may have had their optic mounting position jam their gun, but I have never personally experienced or seen it.   

I bought the updated adapter plate  to see if there was a difference in the amount of powder residue on the optic after firing rounds through it.  I am on the fence on which adapter plate works better.  I do not think they sell the first adaptation of that adapter plate.  

From the Springer website the Romeo 3 Max adapter plate places the optic back and does not sit over the ejection port.  The Romeo 3 Max has never jammed my X5 Legion.  Small sample size though, in that I only had about 500 rounds through the gun before it had issues.

Thanks again for the data.