Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Springfield RO 9mm Champ mags FTLB

Jhp147

I let curiosity about 9mm get the best of me and purchased the Springfield Armory RO Elite Champion.  It came with 4 magazines, and I bought a Wilson ETM for comparison.  Final score is that two magazines work great, two feed great but either seldom or never lock back.  The Wilson works every time, too.  Looking at the mags, took them apart (what a pain compared to .45) and could find NO differences between the 2/2 though I didn't mic the parts or anything like that.  I shot the gun with an EGW slide stop to see if there was an issue that could be fixed that way.  It is a bit tight and didn't change things with the two FTLB mags.   

Next?  I hate to call SA and try to exchange two mags, but if that is it, that is it.  Worst they can say is no. 

Will they lock back with racking by hand? It could be the follower tab, tube/feed-lips, or spring tension. I’d try marking the tubes and components then try to swap good mag internals to bad mag (ignoring the Wilson) and see if it fixes it. You may try bending up the follower tab slightly afterwards if it’s the internals. I haven’t used standard 1911 mags much so maybe someone else can chime in. 

They will all lock back by hand.  Just on a quick look when I had them apart, I didn't see any difference in the followers at all.  Good idea on the comparison, I'll look at them again and number the followers to match the magazines and see if I can narrow it down to followers. Springs all seem to feel the same but will double check the length and will check back in after I get a chance to shoot this week.  Most appreciative.   

ETA-I remember adding bend to the upper leg of numerous .45 CMC mag followers years ago when they were tired and not locking back.  That or a new spring or both.  Never thought about a new one needing it.

Edited by sheepdog
add info

• 2 weeks later...