Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

First runs, always better

BoyGlock

For quite some time, I observe in practice both in live fire and dry fire, my first run of a cof and in drills are usually my best in terms of time and execution. My best guess is, in succeeding repetitions my conscious mind creeps into my efforts, slowing me down a bit and worse inducing errors. If it makes any difference, been in sustained frequent training for most of the last 15yrs or so though not as a pro. 
Thoughts?

It could be that you have low expectations for your first runs.  I am the opposite.  My first run (or cold runs) of the day is typically my worst.  My performance gets stronger throughout the day.  Most of the time anyway.  My biggest issue is consistency.  That is what i am working on now.  I need to learn how to relax before my first runs and lower expectations for those cold runs.  

As far as getting tired, nourishment and hydration are key for me.  If I make a concerted effort to mind my energy levels through diet and maintain my hydration my performance is solid.  I do find if I do not hydrate properly I do not fare as well later in the day.  I shot the 2020 PCC nationals in June in Central Florida.  Hot and Humid is an understatement.  Minding my food and hydration my performance was my best at the end of the days.  

I can only talk about practice runs. Match runs cannot be repeated unless in a reshoot w/c is not so common. In practice repetitive drills, my mind seemed to have less baggage in initial run/s so my executions are cleaner hence better par times. When trying something in succeeding runs I think its where the less efficient executions appear. We train w/ conscious efforts until it becomes subconscious. How one can shift from conscious to subconscious seamlessly is another skill to me w/c could merit another thread. 

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
On 8/15/2020 at 7:20 PM, limitedgun said:

I have been trying just one run per drill on several range trips and comparing to my journals. More Match Mode like training.

This is good mindset for training. I do this sometimes in dry and livefire. Feels pressure every time. Keeps my expectations realistic. And consequently less pressure in first stage runs in matches. 

Edited by BoyGlock

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 10 months later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...

My first run is almost always not the best, for drills or actual stages.  When doing training, I try to do the first run of a drill exactly like I would shoot it if it were in a stage in a match. This means I'm going about 85%; assigning a number means different things to different people but my 85% means I'm almost never going to have penalties and am targeting 3 or 4 to 1 A to non-Alpha ratio (shooting minor in CO/PCC).  In training, that helps establish a baseline off which I can push and explore limits.  

For example, can I begin movement a little earlier in a tough engagement, or can I shoot a tough engagement on the way in to a position.