Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

G35 or G22 for competition newbie

Ollies930

Curious what people think would be a better gun for starting in competition, USPSA and Steel. The two I am leaning toward are the G22 or G35. I already have a G17, so I am leaning towards the G35 so that I have a long slide as well as a standard length slide. Not interested in red dot sights, just steel sights for now, if that should factor into this. Would love to hear what peoples opinions are on this. 

11 hours ago, stick said:

The 35 would be a logical choice.  It will allow you to shoot major with the stock barrel and you can get a conversion barrel to shoot 9mm minor.

Yup. A longslide striker fire or da/sa in 40 is about the most versatile gun there is for USPSA

Best starting gun would be the 17 you already own. Shoot it until you at least get a classification and then consider if you want to try something different.

If you reload, I'd say the 35 is the most versatile gun in the game. If you don't, then stick with the 17 a bit longer until you get to B class.

A G17 is great for competition. I’d recommend shooting Limited minor with it. As you progress, try production adding more reloading per stage. If you stick with limited, you’ll want to try major so the .40 long slide will be great for that.

Thank you all for the responses. I guess part of the reason I asked this, is that I am looking for an excuse to buy another gun. And I did not realize that the 35 can easily be converted into a 9mm. That kind of sells it, a two fer. I can justify that to my better half pretty easily and I basically end up with a 9mm long slide as well. Perfect! 

sure you can convert between 9 & 40 but there is some risk of bringing the wrong components to a match and/or the wrong ammo.  for $5-600 or so just get a 2nd (or 3rd) glock (mitigated by not spending $$ on a conversion barrel plus you'll get 3 more mags for your collection, not to mention possible poa/poi issues).  it's more the indian than the arrow, but the 35 really isn't the cat's meow if you want to shoot in limited division, you're competing against some super sweet triggers and actions in 2011 guns.

i'd say stick with the g17 and put your money towards an ar15 if you don't already have one so you can shoot 2 Gun!

On 8/10/2020 at 1:57 AM, Ollies930 said:

And I did not realize that the 35 can easily be converted into a 9mm. 

It can be, but if it was so reliable and fool proof, why would Glock inc even make 9mm slides? Why not save the money, and cut only 40 cal slides for both 9mm/40 cal. Something to think about.

Probably because it’s more financially beneficial to cut slight dimensional variations in their slides than to produce something too easily interchangeable. Most ‘normal’ shooters aren’t aware of aftermarket conversion barrels (much like the OP). Glock is far better off selling another gun for $500 with a build cost of $30-$40 than allow everyday gun owners to swap barrels. 

On 8/20/2020 at 9:13 AM, Pfiddy said:

Probably because it’s more financially beneficial to cut slight dimensional variations in their slides than to produce something too easily interchangeable. Most ‘normal’ shooters aren’t aware of aftermarket conversion barrels (much like the OP). Glock is far better off selling another gun for $500 with a build cost of $30-$40 than allow everyday gun owners to swap barrels. 

Or engineering might have something to do with it?????

On 8/21/2020 at 10:28 AM, dirty whiteboy said:

Or engineering might have something to do with it?????

Are you suggesting that Glock with all their resources couldn’t pull off reliable factory interchangeable barrels for caliber conversions? Not exactly an impossible feat of engineering. Or they may be interested in the company’s bottom line. 

I’d definitely stay with 9mm and get the 34. I like having all of my competition guns the same caliber.  Makes reloading easier and also keeps costs down which is a big deal right now for sure.  

Hello: The first question should be do you reload? If not 40 S&W will cost you more than 9mm. As for factory ammo, Winchester White Box will be close to 150PF in a Glock 34. Minor 40 depending on the bullet weight can be only 130PF. Now with that out of the way what is your plan for competition shooting. Steel matches use a 9mm, no question there. USPSA matches depending on what division you want to shoot it will depend. 9mm shooting Limited minor will give you 4 more rounds to play with but scores minor. 40 will score major but will be more recoil and depending on you, harder on the body. Light pistol and major loads is not the best combo when shooting 40. For me I like the longer sight radius of the 35 over the 22 when using iron sights. If you ever plan on doing Carry Optics I like the 17/22 length of pistols more than the 34/35 length. Lastly I would suggest you shoot a Glock 22 and a Glock 35 to see what you like best. Thanks, Eric