Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

DIY a Dillon 1050/RL1100 Cam Guide Bolt

Visited my local Home Depot and picked up 2 pre hardened bolts 1/4-20, did a lil magic and this is what I came up with~  I have yet to fully test it out but so far so good, basically my own Cam Guide Bolt DIY~  Now the question is if the metal of the bolt will be too hard for the primer assembly mechanism, not sure if Dillon has a safety feature for their Cam Guide bolt, causing it to break/snap off when things go wrong.  I'll report back the results soon!  Photos below..

Cam 1.jpeg

Cam2.jpeg

Dillon cam .jpeg

3 hours ago, chgofirefighter said:

Visited my local Home Depot and picked up 2 pre hardened bolts 1/4-20, did a lil magic and this is what I came up with~  I have yet to fully test it out but so far so good, basically my own Cam Guide Bolt DIY~  Now the question is if the metal of the bolt will be too hard for the primer assembly mechanism, not sure if Dillon has a safety feature for their Cam Guide bolt, causing it to break/snap off when things go wrong.  I'll report back the results soon!  Photos below..

Rob:

That sure looks trick!  I've got 3 extra Dillon Cam Guide Bolts, but IMO, after talking to other users of RL1050/S1050 machines, it appears the older Guide Bolts were of superior quality compared to the current offerings!  Heard that a couple users had the same bolt in machines 20+ years old and older!

I even saw where the "hump" on the rear cam plate had been worn almost completely away on a high volume machine; and it was still using the original Guide Bolt!  So, I'm also not sure if there's a safety factor built in to the current bolts.

After talking with Rick about an aftermarket Guide Bolt, I'm just not sure if there's enough interest in covering the expense of creating a billet replacement.................

Anyway, your mod sure looks great!  Did you use an SS bolt?

👍👍

5 hours ago, chgofirefighter said:

Rob:

I remembered that I had put a piece of 1" aluminum behind my Guide Bolt with the intentions of helping to stabilize..............so far, so good.............

https://forums.brianenos.com/topic/285434-issues-with-rl1100/?do=findComment&comment=3181751

💡

14 hours ago, HOGRIDER said:

Rob:

I remembered that I had put a piece of 1" aluminum behind my Guide Bolt with the intentions of helping to stabilize..............so far, so good.............

https://forums.brianenos.com/topic/285434-issues-with-rl1100/?do=findComment&comment=3181751

💡

I saw that but I decided to just go this route and try it out...  I'll report my findings and upload a video soon! 

21 hours ago, chgofirefighter said:

Now the question is if the metal of the bolt will be too hard for the primer assembly mechanism, not sure if Dillon has a safety feature for their Cam Guide bolt, causing it to break/snap off when things go wrong. 

Rob:

While thinking about this very important point you make about a built in safety feature, I remembered during a short loading session the Lever Arm Bracket worked loose from the primer magazine.  Basically fouled up the press as the primer Cam Plate assembly slid down an jammed against the Cam Guide Bolt and the Primer Slide Assembly!  The guide bolt held its own and never loosened or cracked.  But the press would lock up if trying to go down with the handle.

So, you may have a valid point here...........

🤔

On 8/9/2020 at 1:08 PM, HOGRIDER said:

Rob:

While thinking about this very important point you make about a built in safety feature, I remembered during a short loading session the Lever Arm Bracket worked loose from the primer magazine.  Basically fouled up the press as the primer Cam Plate assembly slid down an jammed against the Cam Guide Bolt and the Primer Slide Assembly!  The guide bolt held its own and never loosened or cracked.  But the press would lock up if trying to go down with the handle.

So, you may have a valid point here...........

🤔

Hmm, possibly~  Dillon has engineers for a reason :)