Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Lighter barrel for my Aero M5

Lars

I like the idea of the Faxon gunner. Currently I think the barrel is a Ballistic Advantage heavy taper 18”. What are the chances that I would have a headspace issue with the Aero bolt?  Rifle has 66 rounds through it. The other barrel that looks interesting is the Criterion chrome lined one.

55 minutes ago, Lars said:

What are the chances that I would have a headspace issue with the Aero bolt?

I think your chances are low of there being an issue, but a Go-gauge is only $25-30 and always important to have around if you're swapping barrels. A bit of thin paper on the base will turn it into a No-Go by adding about 0.003".  You could use a quality loaded round like FGMM with and without paper as a cheap temporary alternative too. Do this on a disassembled bolt by hand.

But I would buy a new bolt from Faxon (or JP) anyways and just keep the bolts and barrels together as a set. If I were buying a used barrel, having the original matched bolt would be a bonus.

I have a 20" stainless Criterion on mine (iron sight rifle), it is not super heavy and shoots well with 155 Amax. It shoots good with most everything I have ran through it, but really likes 155 Amax. 

I had problems with two Brownells bolts and headspace, Brownells took both of them back. Both of them were too tight, would not close on a "Go" gauge. They were dimensionally different in different places. I have one Brownells bolt that will headspace in that rifle and my Armalite, I keep it for a spare. The rifle has a JP LMOS carrier and JP bolt, no problems with headspace. The JP bolt is so much smoother locking and unlocking than any of the other bolts have been.

Hurley

• 4 months later...

Another option is to send the barrel to ADCO and have them turn the profile to a lighter one. I have used them for several projects and always pleased.

And much less expensive than buying a new barrel.

Edited by mpeltier

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/30/2020 at 8:53 AM, MNJoel said:

BSF carbon barrels are lighter.... not that expensive either compared to other carbon barrels. 

I've built two AR10s with BSF barrels, an 18" and a 20" they are very light.  In addition to being carbon wrapped, my barrels are also fluted. You can save some money by getting a "blem" which are their test fired barrels (this is what I did). Last I recall, you're gonna have to call and ask what they've got for blem barrels. In terms of performance, accuracy is superb.

• 8 months later...
On 12/30/2020 at 8:53 AM, MNJoel said:

BSF carbon barrels are lighter.... not that expensive either compared to other carbon barrels. 

I 2nd his statement.   Price isn't too bad and quality has been good also.   

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...