Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Shadow 2 blue vs 2 SAO

Daedalus47

I have an SP-01 that I had planned on using for competition but recently found out the threaded barrel and raised sights put it over the length/height requirements so I’ve taken this as an excuse to buy a shadow. 

I’m looking at a Shadow 2 blue DA/SA vs the Shadow 2 SA (also blue). 

I know that the SA is illegal for production, I’m not sure that bothers me if I can run it in other classes. I enjoy SA shooting with my 1911s and P210. I guess my question is how noticeable are the differences between a Shadow DA/SA and my SP-01? What classes could I run the SAO in? Is it more worth it to have a Shadow SA and later upgrade my SP-01 trigger? General opinions on the two?

thanks!

You can run your S2 SA in Limited   The minor power factor penalty will not matter in the beginning.  I started with a M&P9 which was my duty gun just to learn and figure out what I wanted.  Most clubs don’t care if your gun fits the box, for local matches, just go and have fun. Talk to others and find out what you really want/like before spending the money. 

Shoot a couple matches first unless you're just looking for an excuse to get a new gun. Nobody will care at a local match if you don't quite fit the box at first. Any mags and mag pouches you buy will work for any CZ.

If your SP-01 hasn't had any work done to it there will be a big difference in trigger smoothness and bit less of a difference in weight vs the Shadows.  But which gun you bring to your first match will have virtually no impact on your enjoyment or score.

There's not really a place in USPSA for a single action 9mm that's not a 1911 in Single Stack division. Those guns can find some success in Steel Challenge, but I wouldn't encourage anyone to get the heavy versions of a model for that sport.

Very good advice. Thank you!

I guess I was assuming that if my gun didn’t fit the box, that I couldn’t run it. 

If I can run my SP-01 in production, I may still get an SAO shadow for target shooting. 

It does seem like production is where it’s at for most shooters. I understand the differences in classes based on gear requirements, but I guess I don’t know why I would care if I can run in limited vs production. I’m just trying to get out there and get more practical experience. 

I wouldn’t recommend spending $1250 on a SA S2 that won’t be competitive in the divisions it’s legal in. Decide what division you want to shoot, then get the appropriate gear for it. If you want to shoot production, you could get a non-threaded barrel that will fit the box, and you’ll be set for as long as you want. If you want to shoot Limited, don’t get a 9. Too many points left on the table shooting minor. You can shoot Limited minor with what you have now.

The rationale for starting in limited is that you can load your magazines up to the max and then you will have less mag changes to worry about during a course of fire.

Less things to worry about is good for your first few matches.

4 hours ago, ddc said:

The rationale for starting in limited is that you can load your magazines up to the max and then you will have less mag changes to worry about during a course of fire.

Less things to worry about is good for your first few matches.

That sounds like a great idea. I originally had no reservations about several mag changes during a run but after reading a bit on the forums here about planning stages, limited might be a better place for me to start. 

I’ll also be taking the advice to run my SP-01 to start. Knowing that I can run a match or two without meeting the size requirements is a big plus for me. I can purchase more gear later once I get used to it and figure out what type of matches I’ll be running.

I’ll still probably end up with a Shadow at some point. Never thought I’d enjoy the SP-01 as much as I do. Haven’t fired my P320s in months. 

57 minutes ago, Daedalus47 said:

I’ll still probably end up with a Shadow at some point. Never thought I’d enjoy the SP-01 as much as I do.

Shadow 2 is different than a well tuned SP-01 but not everyone agrees which of the two they prefer. I do not know of any criteria beyond personal preference that would suggest one is better than the other. 

3 hours ago, Daedalus47 said:

That sounds like a great idea. I originally had no reservations about several mag changes during a run but after reading a bit on the forums here about planning stages, limited might be a better place for me to start. 

I’ll also be taking the advice to run my SP-01 to start. Knowing that I can run a match or two without meeting the size requirements is a big plus for me. I can purchase more gear later once I get used to it and figure out what type of matches I’ll be running.

I’ll still probably end up with a Shadow at some point. Never thought I’d enjoy the SP-01 as much as I do. Haven’t fired my P320s in months. 

Remember if you run in limited there is no size limit other than length of magazine. Stock magazines will be no problem; well inside the limit.

SAO shadows are dumb. I've been there and there were no gains apart from looking nice. 

Just put the safety on with your DA/SA shadow. 

Convert one to SAO if you wish but don't hobble yourself by buying something that is SAO. 

I disagree with the above statement that SAO shadows are dumb. 

I have a SAO shadow 2. I love it. But, I bought it specifically knowing that I’m limited to certain divisions. I’m using it to get back into competition in limited class. Once I improve my skills, I’ll probably move up to limited major with a TSO. 

The SAO trigger is awesome. From the factory it averages dead on 2lb pull. So, there advantages and disadvantages. I personally love mine. 

• 1 month later...

first, you can run your existing gun in limited anyways.... what you want the Shadow 2 SAO for.  

Secondly, you can run a regular SA/DA shadow 2 cocked and locked in limited. with some springs and tuning a SA/DA shadow 2 single action pull is probably as good as the SAO model stock, so it basically cancels out.  you can also run your existing CZ cocked and locked...basically making these DA guns SA on start.  if your gun has an external safety, limited division you can go cocked and locked no different than a 1911.  That is why a SAO shadow 2 is kinda silly.  shadow 2s aren't 40, so they won't be that competitive in Limited division as SAO.  a shadow 2 in DA/SA will give you the most flexibility.  if you really want a SAO CZ, shoot for a TSO.  you WONT be disappointed.  very much worth the money.  shadow 2 DA/SA also makes a fine carry optics gun when milled, giving you 3 divisions of flexibility (production, limited, CO).  To me for USPSA its really a question of if you want to shoot 40 or not.  9 mm = buy shadow 2.  limited major for 40 SW = get a TSO.  

Why not just shoot a couple matches with what you have now, cocked and locked limited division until you find out what you really want?  

Edited by IF788
providing more info