Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Production: Gen 3 vs 5

I'm thinking of picking up a 34 for production through the GSSF purchase program, and I really can't tell if what the Gen 5 brings to the table over the Gen 3 is that noticeable, or if people have strong feelings for one over the other.

Seems that Gen 3's have the parts selection and reputation, whereas Gen 5's have bigger mag opening, are all MOS, and different trigger.

My experience has only been with Gen 4 and Poly80's (Gen 3-esque). I don't intend to play in CO or limited with it, just production.

Are the trigger and mag opening that much better, or are they not worth the extra $100?
When I go to throw a new guide rod/RSA in there, are there any "gotchas" to be aware of? Will it require funky springs, or will my Wolff/ISMI gen 3 spares fit?(I see that GlockStore has one that requires their springs - no thanks on that)

I’d go Gen 5 but honestly you’re not missing anything with the Gen 3 unless the finger grooves don’t fit your hand.

The Gen 5 requires an adapter for the guild rod that isn’t needed on the Gen 3s.

According to people much smarter on the topic than myself say the Gen5 is a significant leap ahead for Glock and their internal geometry and bearing surfaces. Im sure like each of the previous generations, the aftermarket will respond so I wouldnt be afriad of starting there.  Turth in lending, I only run Gen 3 Glocks, but that is a product of years of tinkering & parts buildup.  Nothing wrong with a Gen 3, and a good launch platform if your interested in making your own changes (and cheap when your changes "dont work as you thought")

I prefer the Gen3 over the Gen4, but that was not the question. I haven’t played with a gen5 yet, but will own one eventually I’m sure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I was shocked when I first shot a Gen 5 34. It was noticeably better.  What you are going to get is a better trigger, more accuracy and ability to run a dot without milling.  I personally like the no finger grooves but that is not a game changer to me.  I have been into Glocks for about 20 years and the Gen 5's are the best yet IMO and its not even close.  Do I stake my life on the older Gen's, yes.  For competition is there is better trigger and accuracy in the Gen 5, yes.  The downside is that if your a Dawson adjustable sight guy, the sight dovetail is so far rearward for the MOS system you have to get a fixed rear sight, at least as far as I know.  Dawson does make a specific Gen 5 sight and it shoots POI for me on 2 different Gen 5 34's.

Being in California I have a lot of Gen 3s and a few Gen 5s.  I actually like the feel of the Gen 3s better with the finger grooves and blockier grips.  All other things are not as important to me because I modify all my Glocks anyways (trigger, Magwell, grips, slide, etc..).  If I were to compare them stock, the Gen 5s have a slightly better trigger.  If you're a lefty go with Gen 5s for the ambi slide release and ability to swap mag release.

I shot both the gen 3 and the gen 5 before buying the gen 5. Both guns shoot well and to some extent (as always lol!) it will be personal preference.  For me, the gen 5 shot flatter and just felt better balanced, which might be partly due to the grip. The gen 3 grip was ok, but the finger grooves just don’t align with my actual fingers, so it interfered with how I gripped the pistol.  The gen 5 thankfully doesn’t have the finger grooves. As others have said, the trigger starts better on the gen 5, and I didn’t plan to replace the trigger anytime soon.  Also, I figured I might throw a red dot on at some point so the MOS is a nice feature. I also used my Glock certificate and the cost to upgrade, for me, was worth it. Added Talon grips and swapped out for Dawson sights.  Good to go. 

Good luck with your decision. Really, you can’t go “wrong”, per se, with either one!

On 8/7/2020 at 11:29 PM, OdinIII said:

I’d go Gen 5 but honestly you’re not missing anything with the Gen 3 unless the finger grooves don’t fit your hand.

The Gen 5 requires an adapter for the guild rod that isn’t needed on the Gen 3s.

I bought a guide rod from Jager, no spacers needed.  I thought a spacer may induce failure, or at least, I was afraid of it.

http://www.jagerproducts.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=35&products_id=116&zenid=14mddul8vg8045kp9omf4ipn06

1 minute ago, 12glocks said:

I bought a guide rod from Jager, no spacers needed.  I thought a spacer may induce failure, or at least, I was afraid of it.

http://www.jagerproducts.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=35&products_id=116&zenid=14mddul8vg8045kp9omf4ipn06

That Jager rod has a spacer just the same as other gen4 or gen5 rods, it’s just captured by a screw.  Spacers work fine, don’t worry about it.

Be aware that gen 5 has a shorter chamber and may not feed ammo that a gen 3 or 4 eats all day.  Some opt to ream the chamber (like me) while others get an aftermarket barrel.  

6 hours ago, deerslayer said:

Be aware that gen 5 has a shorter chamber and may not feed ammo that a gen 3 or 4 eats all day.  Some opt to ream the chamber (like me) while others get an aftermarket barrel.  

But the small minus which is a shorter chamber (which I fixed for ya quite easily) does come with the small advantage of a flared magazine well.

Those two are pretty much a wash.

Edited by MemphisMechanic

I think the early Gen 5's had a short chamber.  I heard they changed that.  I have a new gen 5 19.  Maybe I will compare a couple of dummy rounds.

The only thing that makes any real difference between the two is the bigger magwell on the Gen 5. It's not a huge difference but my reloads are faster and I almost never stick a mag on the Gen 5. I guess you would also want the Gen 5 if you're a lefty. 

if there is one thing I can say the biggest difference between gen 3 & gen 5 is the flared magwell specially if your thinking of using it for production. 

On 8/9/2020 at 3:20 PM, MemphisMechanic said:

But the small minus which is a shorter chamber (which I fixed for ya quite easily) 

Yeah but not everybody has the insider access to Memphis Mechanic’s work bench that I have lol

17 hours ago, deerslayer said:

Yeah but not everybody has the insider access to Memphis Mechanic’s work bench that I have lol

Just keep loaning me trailers n’ junk. ;) 

And actually? I’ve cut half a dozen or so 5th gen barrels for guys on Instagram in the past few months. Glock barrels are hideously hard, but they do cut with carbide.

Edited by MemphisMechanic
  • 3 weeks later...