Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

The progression of CO

rowdyb

On 8/28/2020 at 12:32 PM, Overscore said:

If you shoot major in USPSA and carry minor in your EDC gun, you subconsciously agree that major/minor power factor is irrelevant.

that's a nice false equivalence you got there. It would be a shame if someone spoiled it with information.

Hardly anyone shoots with the same gun they carry concealed. all the officers at my agency carry full-sized metal 40's on their belt, yet their backups are plastic 9mm.

• Replies 209
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 8/28/2020 at 12:53 PM, Overscore said:

If people drove cars as a means of protecting their lives, and it was deemed that the minimum requirement for effective protection was a top fuel dragster, you would.  My point is that we all know through the endless, ridiculous caliber debates out there, that 9mm is just as effective at .40 or .45.  So, shooting major is done only for scoring, which is absurd.

you may be aware that motorcycle racing has different displacement classes. little girls and timid or inexperiernced people can ride smaller weaker bikes, and grown-azz men can ride bigger ones. None of them have much relation to the bikes we use for our everyday commute. It's simply a sport.. shooting is the same. There are plenty of divisions for weaklings to shoot, and there are also divisions for fit and healthy people to shoot.  😈

1 hour ago, motosapiens said:

you may be aware that motorcycle racing has different displacement classes. little girls and timid or inexperiernced people can ride smaller weaker bikes, and grown-azz men can ride bigger ones. None of them have much relation to the bikes we use for our everyday commute. It's simply a sport.. shooting is the same. There are plenty of divisions for weaklings to shoot, and there are also divisions for fit and healthy people to shoot.  😈

The continued theme that somehow shooting major makes you a tough guy is really quite amusing, like y'all are shooting 50BMG pistols, and minor guys are shooting Airsoft.  I sometimes shoot limited major (.45), and I dress in a muscle shirt those days to show off how incredibly powerful I am.

The fact remains, major/minor is an arbitrary relic from the past, and it will go away

38 minutes ago, Overscore said:

The continued theme that somehow shooting major makes you a tough guy is really quite amusing

It's not about being tough, it's about having more recoil that changes how fast you can fire follow up shots. It also changes the capacity (in all but Open) because of the minimum caliber requirement. 

Nobody shooting minor will load to 165 PF (or even 140) because it's a disadvantage in shooting, not because of any machoism. Major is just another threshold where people load to the required PF and compete on the level ground. 

Actually, more people than you may think load to 140 PF.  I have for years as my Glock's seem to run much better with that hotter load, and I don't feel any difference.  YMMV.  After all, as I believe Flexmoney said many years ago, 140 is still minor...

2 hours ago, vluc said:

Actually, more people than you may think load to 140 PF.  I have for years as my Glock's seem to run much better with that hotter load, and I don't feel any difference.  YMMV.  After all, as I believe Flexmoney said many years ago, 140 is still minor...

I just checked the last major I shot, out of 126 CO shooters and 77 Prod shooters, 10 loaded to 140+ with 146 being the highest. And I wonder what the odds are any of those 10 were shooting 40 minor.

Edit to add.

Looks like 20 out of 92 limited shooters shot minor. One of those minor shooters had 165 pf. lol. The highest was 217. 

8 out of 110 open shooters shot minor. Clearly major is dead. 

Edited by Racinready300ex

• 3 weeks later...
On 9/1/2020 at 2:28 PM, Racinready300ex said:

I just checked the last major I shot, out of 126 CO shooters and 77 Prod shooters, 10 loaded to 140+ with 146 being the highest. And I wonder what the odds are any of those 10 were shooting 40 minor.

Edit to add.

Looks like 20 out of 92 limited shooters shot minor. One of those minor shooters had 165 pf. lol. The highest was 217. 

8 out of 110 open shooters shot minor. Clearly major is dead. 

I shoot 9mm minor in my open gun.  I purchase the cheapest 9mm ammo I can find and run it.  I enjoy shooting open minor, Frame mounted optic, Magwell, High Capacity Mags, a gun that has little to no recoil.  It is just a fun gun to shoot.

Waiting for carry optics to change to "Open Minor"

2 minutes ago, Nic_USPSA_C said:

I shoot 9mm minor in my open gun.  I purchase the cheapest 9mm ammo I can find and run it.  I enjoy shooting open minor, Frame mounted optic, Magwell, High Capacity Mags, a gun that has little to no recoil.  It is just a fun gun to shoot.

Waiting for carry optics to change to "Open Minor"

I think it's great you enjoy open minor. Using you as a example you just want to have fun and can under a current division. So there is no good reason to make changes to a division.

8 minutes ago, Racinready300ex said:

I think it's great you enjoy open minor. Using you as a example you just want to have fun and can under a current division. So there is no good reason to make changes to a division.

I enjoy shooting matches and getting more people involved in the sport.  The divisions that I shoot are simply because of the gun I enjoy the most.

When I was shooting carry optics I had a CZ Shadow, bought a shadow 2 but would have had to lighten the slide to make the weight requirement so I decided not to mill the Shadow 2.  A year later they changed the rules to accommodate the new weight.  Seems like they change the division yearly so I am just going to wait and see.