Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Readers, irons, and red dots?

Stafford

I currently use a 1.0 reader while shooting to prevent my front sights from being blurry. I’m sure some others out there do the same. When moving to a red dot, were you able to ditch the reading glasses? I’ve only shot a dot a handful of times and didn’t test with and without when I did.

I've gotten to where I have to wear readers over the last two years. All my comp guns wear a dot and I've never had any trouble picking up the dot. As they say though, focus is on the target. On the rare occasion I shoot irons, just playing around plinking, I can still get the front sight in focus but it takes a moment. I imagine glasses are definitely in my future. 

I also just use 1.0's and have no trouble with the dot. 

With just my contacts, I can see the target just fine, 3 yards or 25 yards and in between. But the front sight is blurry. I have to wear 2.0 readers on top of my contacts for reading and computer work. And while the 2.0’s would help me pick up the front sight perfectly, it blurs everything downrange and would distort my balance while running. The 1.0’s are a compromise which allow me to pick up the front sight clearly while also being able to see the targets. I can tell if I’ve made hits up to about 10 yards with my 1.0 readers on. Beyond that, I have no idea if I hit the target or where I hit.

I’m thinking that with a dot, I might be able to give up the readers, especially if the focus with a dot is the target rather than a front sight picture.

A while ago I had a pair of glasses made that are larger than my regular glasses and have a +1.0 (reader strength) lens for the dominant eye and "plano" lens (no power) for the nondominant eye.  I put them over my regular glasses and can see both the sights and the targets.

More recently, I asked my ophthalmologist to change my dominant-eye Rx by the +1.0, which has the same effect but on a single pair of glasses.

I shoot dots with my regular prescription.  No problems, and it's a lot easier to see everything ("older guy" solution). 

4 minutes ago, RangerTrace said:

I wear a multifocal contact in my left/dominant eye with 1.5 power reading in it.  It's the best thing I've ever done for my shooting vision.  It was Youngeyes idea.

Wish I could do that, but I can't wear contacts myself.  Sounds like a good idea.

I have severe astigmatism a have prisms in both lenses. Normally, I wear progressives to correct both near and far. Fortunately, the only distance I see 20-20 is the length of my arm. Therefore, with iron sights I find it advantageous to wear no correction. Saves a bunch of dough on shooting glasses. Recently, I’m trying CO. With a dot, I prefer my normal daily prescription. I had a set made at my optometrist with yellow tint and impact-resistant lenses.

When shooting with a reflex sight the focus is on the target.  So long as your corrective lenses correct your distant vision, you'll be fine.

You definitely do NOT need nor want special correction for close in vision in your main field of view.  The absolute worst mistake noobs to shooting with dots do is trying to focus on it as if it were the front sight.  Don't.  Just Don't.

I have myopia, astigmatism, and presbyopia and wear progressives to correct all three.  I have absolutely no trouble using those glasses to shoot rifles and pistols with both magnifying and non-magnifying optical sights.

People overthink this to an extreme degree.

Before I gave up and went to Open, I used stick on optics designed to turn regular glasses into bifocals.  I put them on upside down at the top of the shooting glass lenses.  I would tip my head down a tad to see the front sight while shooting, and everything else was clear.  Head held in normal position I could see everything clearly and run without worry.  Some time around 68-69 I gave up Limited and switched to Open.  Now every pistol, rifle and PCC I own (except one) wears a red dot.  It makes life so much easier.

I had a pair of glasses made that have progressive lenses.  Had the correction moved up more to center line so I can keep my head down.  Slight move of the head and you get the focus you want at will.  Now allows me to shoot open sights or a Dot with same glasses...