Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

36 yard zero - anyone have impact data at other distances?

minnesota1

I just picked up a Romeo5.  I heard the 36 yd zero works best for smaller spread out to 300 yards.   If you have a 36 yard zero does anyone know where the impact is at other ranges?   Using 55gr FMJ.  Standard 233 ammo   I realize barrel length, Ammo etc makes a difference.  I’m looking at what the general numbers people have come up with for the 36 yd zero.   Thanks!!

It's a good way to get close enough at longer distances... making it easier to get on target.

That whole "50/200" may be "close enough" for some shooters... but I find that it's still off by a few inches.

Spend the time dialing in your rifle and ammo for actual, known distances... it'll give you a lot more confidence when pressing the trigger!

On 8/6/2020 at 7:12 PM, minnesota1 said:

I just picked up a Romeo5.  I heard the 36 yd zero works best for smaller spread out to 300 yards.   If you have a 36 yard zero does anyone know where the impact is at other ranges?   Using 55gr FMJ.  Standard 233 ammo   I realize barrel length, Ammo etc makes a difference.  I’m looking at what the general numbers people have come up with for the 36 yd zero.   Thanks!!

Enter your data into JBM Calculator and it will give you a rough idea.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Found out by accident I've been using a 36yd zero and didn't realize it.  

I normally sight in at 50yds. Later I check my 100yd zero and adjust the bullet impact 2-3" high. 

Yesterday don't know why I wanted to see where I impacted at 36yds. i was blown away at the results.  I 've been using a 36yd zero and didn't realize it. Boy I wasted a lot of time in the past.

• 3 months later...

A little late to the party here, but for future reference... rather than pick a zero out of a hat, so to speak, you can use JBM or Strelok Pro to calculate your Max Point Blank Zero and Max Point Blank Range.

Basic idea is you put in your load data and the maximum acceptable radius (or diameter, I don’t remember for JBM) for your application. Like, if you’re shooting steel plates that are 8x8, Max radius is that of the inscribed circle... so 4 inches, maybe 3.5 to be safe, and the calculator will give you both the maximum range that you can get away without holding over/under shooting center of target, and the zero to set to get that range.

Example in the image.

ABBF0CBE-706C-48BA-A79E-BC8107FA033F.jpeg

• 1 year later...

When using a top mounted sight and holding in a canted position as they did in the article, the way i learned it was:

> if it’s a target that requires it (e.g. far away) hold in the direction of the magwell. In my experience, I have to start holding in the direction of the magwell at about 70 yards.

Note that for an offset sight mounted and zeroed at 45º you do not need to change your hold because that sight *should* be zeroed properly at its vertical position. 

• 4 months later...
  • 1 year later...

A chrono is one of your best friends.

Most ballistic calculators will tell you the barrel length for their data.

You lose fps for every inch your barrel is shorter than the test barrel.

Relying on factory fps may result in less than accurate data, especially the further out you go.

KM and SH are spot on.