Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

40 cal major load

22h2

Used to use lubed lead and it worked fine, if sized correctly.  As soon as coated was available I went that direction.  Works great. 

Still needs to be sized correctly, but no rastaman haze on a humid, windless day or build up on dies.   Have old stock of lubed lead that I may only get into if  really desperate.  

8 hours ago, Yeti said:

Used to use lubed lead and it worked fine, if sized correctly.  As soon as coated was available I went that direction.  Works great. 

Still needs to be sized correctly, but no rastaman haze on a humid, windless day or build up on dies.   Have old stock of lubed lead that I may only get into if  really desperate.  

You can melt them down again, the lube makes a smoky flux 🙂

Short answer, yes lead and coated will work for major loads.  As with most things there's a cost for whatever projectile you use.  When I was starting out shooting, lead made a lot of sense.  When I could afford it jacketed became more attractive (less weapon maintenance and exposure).  Plated and coated added more options.  It depends of what your priorities are and how much money you can spend on this endeavor.  

thanks I believe I will try the hi tech bullets next,  I have shot a lot of the moly coated in 9mm they seem to work as well. i have shot a lot of 45acp in lead but the spead is slow around 900 ft or so . 

Thats about all you will be shooting 40 at most likely.. 900-1000 fps.
I used to use ALOT of plain hardcast lubed lead. But there was a local casting company.. My LGS would buy them buy the pallet and they were REALLY cheap, but accurate. I could buy them 500 at a time, and no shipping charges. IIRC cost was about half of anything I could order at the time.
. Bit of smoke, especially with tight group, much dirtier guns, but not so bad you couldnt get through a match.
But when they went under, I went to jacketed after a few plated fiascos. Hornady HAPS were extremely accurate. But then the metal prices went crazy, bullet prices went crazy, so went to Precision Moly coated,, They worked ok, but this newer Hitek type coating seems to be the best yet.

I still have some 40, .458, and .430  plain lead. I will get around to loading eventually. Will probably load all my componenets then do a pre estate sale on my  reloading presses and tools.

Yeh about every brand will be slightly different on max OAL for your chamber. Coated will be larger than jacketed as well.  Look up the "plunk" test if you havent heard of it already.
Seems most folks on here like Blue, Bayou, SNS, Precision, Missorri, bullets. Seem to be most popular.  I have shot all, and honestly unless its a unique profile like MO that offers a really flat nose I like for pins, I cant tell the difference without looking at the box label.

• 2 weeks later...

I shoot USPSA and shoot mostly coated bullets 180 gr Blue Bullets , Black Bullets or S&S casting , I load using Titegroup or Power Pistol powders at 168 to 171 power factor with no problems at all ,  6000 to 8000 rounds a year .  

thanks for the replies, what kind of accuracy do you get with the coated bullets?  

Thanks 

I use the same as workingmanjeff (180 gr PC Bullets) and can consistently shoot a 2” group supported and 4” unsupported at 25 yards out of a 2011.

Last week we ended our practice with 50 yard slow fire group shooting and my daughter put 8 in the A zone and the other 2 were Charlie’s! Only 3 Alphas for me but the bullets were not to blame

You’ll find coated bullets from any experienced manufacturer to be plenty accurate. They are also cheaper and more available than FMJ since manufacturing process is simpler. I think this is why they are also easier to get right now. The backlog at King Shooter Supply is not bad either! https://www.kingshooters.com/bulk-pc-bullets-not-ammunition/bulk-pc-bullets-3014/pc-4010mm-180gr-rnfp-size-401-2500cnt-bulk-box-30147292

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 1 month later...

I load either 180gr RN lead for major in my 1911 and 2011 or 155gr RN for minor in my son’s Glock for production. Both from Mastercast in Enon Valley PA and NEVER a feeding issue unless there is an issue with the brass like a bulge from not taking the press a full stroke (he is 14 and just learning so mistakes happen).