Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Super GP100/929 question

Makicjf

If a guy was going purchase an 8 shot 9mm for Steel Challenge and use Federal Syntech 150's( what he uses in his other toys) would a Ruger or a 929 be better?  I know most 929's do better with fat coated bullets.   Does anyone know if better accuracy would (should?) be expected with the Ruger and .356 rounds?  

Thanks!

Jason

Still trying to find something my SGP 100 likes, tough to do when you can not buy bullets, preliminary indication is that it wants something lighter than what I have (SNS coated, 160's .358 and 147's .356).

My 929 leaded terribly with 0.356 coated. Threw them nicely for 50-100 rounds and then they started going awry. 

I do not think you will have a safe bet with either choice, maybe, maybe not. Anxious to see what other folks tell you regarding what the SGP likes. 

Tagged for being "that guy." Thanks @Makicjf for starting this up. 

So the goal for this whole experience is to buy a wheel gun that can do both iron sights and optics well enough to dry fire and shoot SCSA with a goal of making a run in 2021 at classifying well. This isn't a primary goal, in fact I'm going to try this after PCC Nationals next year. Some people take breaks from shooting. I find taking a break from a primary focus is my best off season. 

I don't really do well tinkering with things so if there's a plug and play option that's reliable I will absolutely go that route vs. tinkering with things to get them to work.  I don't want to screw around with reloading anything and while I'm not set on the 150's, I will be using some type of factory ammo. I will likely treat this like my Tac Sport / Limited experience and sell the whole kit at the end and loose a couple hundo on the setup as a "rental fee." 

1 hour ago, Darqusoull13 said:

don't really do well tinkering with things so if there's a plug and play option that's reliable I will absolutely go that route vs. tinkering with things to get them to work.  I don't want to screw around with reloading anything and while I'm not set on the 150's, I will be using some type of factory ammo.

Might be better off looking at 38/357. If I were you I would start a plug and play thread. The 929's seem to be very hit and miss, the SGP100 in 9mm is brand new for practical purposes, finding 9mm ammo that is hot enough to make above 125 pf in a wheel gun may put you into self defense loads. 

When you add all costs (moon clips + belt/holster/clip holders/clip tools/tuning) and consider the limited market for resale, losing a "couple undo" might be very optimistic. 

My experience with the revolver world is that it’s more complicated than it looks. I went .38/.357 trying to avoid hand loads. Nope. Not only like stated above, factory .38 special ammo doesn’t even make ICORE’s 120 PF much less 125 for USPSA, but also, once you get a decent trigger job (and you will want one) only Fed primers will consistently light off. For me, this got me into hand loading which has been a life saver lately. It hasn’t gotten me gunsmith-ing yet but never say never. 

I will be that "other" guy.

I have tried several different guns and formats. I bought a TRR8 but found it too light! (Plus I like the longer 929 barrel)

Went 929 and never looked back!

Trigger job: A little polish and a $15 Michulek spring kit. (and some judicious bending of the main spring) Easy-Peasy! Wound up around 7 lbs.

1 calendar year and 25K later I sent it to a very good smith on this forum and he replaced some worn out trigger parts and it came back about 6 1/2 lbs.

2nd yr, 21K. Still going strong.

You may have one that likes larger or normal diameter bullets but that's kind of the chance you take. Some shoot fine with heavier 9mm bullets.

Or buy the Ruger and share in all of the new problems.

When I got my 929 and got serious about SC I made M in 6 matches. And placed pretty well in the SC Nationals.

2 minutes ago, Dr. Phil said:

Or buy the Ruger and share in all of the new problems.

One thing I forgot.

My 929 needed a new crane - 4 month repair time from S&W, impossible to find out what was going on, one day it just showed up.

My SGP100 needed a new pawl - 8 days and done, email notifications "received" - "in process" - "ship notification". 

No matter what you buy be prepared to send it back before you can rely on it, if you have modified it in the meantime be prepared to make it like oem or there may be issues. I pray that I never need to deal with S&W again. 

Appreciate the feedback y'all. The 9mm is definitely the way I'm going. I theoretically can reload 38 whatever but I really just don't want to. Even with access to dies and a 6/1050 it's too much headache for a thing I want to do for funsies. 

I've had experience with both companies on repairs and my experience does mirror your own @IHAVEGAS. I'll likely end up shooting both of them for the final choice but I have a bit of time to do research and a good friend enabler that set me down this road. 

Edited by Darqusoull13

• 6 months later...

Any updates on this? I've been starting to look at picking up a revolver and wondering if the 929 is still the way to go or if looking at a SGP100 is worth it. 

On 2/9/2021 at 2:42 PM, regor said:

Any updates on this? I've been starting to look at picking up a revolver and wondering if the 929 is still the way to go or if looking at a SGP100 is worth it. 

I really like my Super GP, but I also like being the guy who doesn't shoot what everyone else does enough to count it a positive. Here are my experiences so far:

1. Spring kit, polishing, and shimming everything got me down to about a 7.5lb trigger pull (in the .38/.357 version). I think I can probably still squeak another half-pound out of it.

2. There's effectively zero aftermarket for the Super GP at this time, and Ruger is miserly with spare parts. I had to make my own extended cylinder release, and scour eBay for a hammer to bob.

3. There are a lot more gunsmiths around who work on S&W guns.

I think the Super GP is plenty competitive, but it's also not the easiest road.

On 2/10/2021 at 6:58 PM, Fishbreath said:

I think the Super GP is plenty competitive, but it's also not the easiest road.

I normally think it is the Indian and not the arrow, but I can shoot with the smoother 5.5 pound trigger on my 929 faster than I can the notchy 7.5 pound trigger on my SGP. With the ruger and any challenging shot if I don't focus on the trigger and take my time I shoot poorly. Perhaps I will find a way to improve the ruger eventually. 

1 hour ago, IHAVEGAS said:

I normally think it is the Indian and not the arrow, but I can shoot with the smoother 5.5 pound trigger on my 929 faster than I can the notchy 7.5 pound trigger on my SGP. With the ruger and any challenging shot if I don't focus on the trigger and take my time I shoot poorly. Perhaps I will find a way to improve the ruger eventually. 

Smooth is best for sure!  I have a 6 shot GP100, thank you Ruger and ICORE!, the action is a pound heavier than any of my Smith's yet it feels just as good?  Did a little smoothing and changed the springs, then dry fired it for a while.

I've shot it in ICORE Classic, for classification, and it did well.  My concern about Rugers is the lack of after market parts and options.

2 hours ago, IHAVEGAS said:

I normally think it is the Indian and not the arrow, but I can shoot with the smoother 5.5 pound trigger on my 929 faster than I can the notchy 7.5 pound trigger on my SGP. With the ruger and any challenging shot if I don't focus on the trigger and take my time I shoot poorly.

Could well be—although I'm the only Ruger shooter near me, I'm also one of two regular revolver shooters near me, and haven't had a chance to talk to the other guy (who runs a 929) yet and see if I can get a bit of dry-fire in with his gun for comparison purposes.

I don't find my SGP's trigger to be especially notchy, although it's also not perfectly smooth. A project I've had in mind for a while is a trigger profiler: a force gauge inline between a stepper motor and a bar across the trigger, so you can plot force vs. trigger displacement to get a sense of how smooth/long/etc. a trigger is.

Im in the 929 camp, I ran a Ruger GP100 MC for a few years, and while it was good its not better then a 929. (I know its a 6 vs 8 ). As for accuracy I would say they are on par with one another, however the 929 does prefer at least in my case a .357/.358 bullet. It will shoot .356 okay just not tack driving.  I have good results with my 929 running some 160/  170g bullets in them.