Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Owners of the new American Pistol Competition: OAL information wanted

GunslingerDK

I am looking for owners of this pistol. My company is the Danish importer and distributor for Ruger firearms. We believe this pistol would be a huge competitor to Glock, M&P and the like. Danish gun laws dictate a minimum overall length on handguns to be 8,27". Ruger puts the overall length of the pistol to be 8,31". That is very close. Close enough that it could easily be measured wrong. The real problem here is that the gun comes with 3 different sized back straps, and if it needs the large one to be long enough, the end user can simply swap it for the short one making the gun illegal. IF I order a bunch of these pistols and they turn out to be too short, I am forced to install a shroud, which is ugly, stupid and expensive considering the MSRP on this pistol.
I am looking for a kind soul willing to help a fellow Ruger enthusiast out, by removing the backstrap and measuring the pistol as per the instructions I will provide 🙂
Thank you, and happy pew-pew'ing to you all.

6 minutes ago, SteelCityShooter said:

You would do better and get more accurate information by contacting Ruger directly.  They should be happy to give you the exact information you need.

I already did. They measured it alright, and it's right on the line. They could not tell me if it was measured without a backstrap, or with one. There is a specific way the government want it measured (it sounds stupid, I know) usually we don't follow this very accurate way of measuring, but since the gun is so close, we need to this time.

That is was I seek help to do :)

order the guns, pull the 2 small back straps out of the box... Sell it with large only.  Gun is perfectly legal when it leaves your shop.
What the owner does afterwards is on them.

2 hours ago, Joe4d said:

order the guns, pull the 2 small back straps out of the box... Sell it with large only.  Gun is perfectly legal when it leaves your shop.
What the owner does afterwards is on them.

But I don't know (and no one has been able to tell me) if the gun is long enough with the large back strap installed. 

• 2 weeks later...

You might not get any responses because Ruger seems to have shipped very few of the AP Competition pistols.  A few made it to market earlier this year but once gun demand spiked in the spring the supply vanished.