Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Using safety as thumb rest

Stdz

I was wondering how many people use the safety as a thumb rest on their shadow 2? 

I have the extended safety on and using it to clamp down on my grip is nice. I just hope I don't brake it. 

Yea that's what I was thinking. I've been shooting Limited minor as I start out and it just feels comfortable and always gets my safety off. I plan on moving to CO so no safety but I think I am going to still use it. 

Yea that's what I was thinking. I've been shooting Limited minor as I start out and it just feels comfortable and always gets my safety off. I plan on moving to CO so no safety but I think I am going to still use it. 
It's at the point that I want one for my double stack 1911 but cant find one that feels as good.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

I use mine as a thumbrest, too. I’ve seen people accidentally flip up the safety during a course of fire and wonder why their gun wasn’t working for a few seconds. I shoot my 1911 the same way. I also find it leaves a little more room for my support hand to get good contact on the grip.

Yep, and it messed me up when I had to shoot a club Glock competition (so Glocks only). On multiple instances ran the gun dry without realising because the slide didn't lock back (thumb was riding the slide release).

Edited by Blackstone45

I find a MUCH better grip and control of the trigger finger WITHOUT the extended safety on S2.....with a Standard or Open div gun I can see the use for it, but Production and Carry Optics (or Prod Optics) it is not necessary and actually inhibits the best grip on the gun with full freeness of the trigger finger  (I tried both thinking after many years of Open div shooting  and then shooting Carry Optics/Prod Optics  I would really like the extended safety....NO, MUCH BETTER WITH SLIM SAFETIES)

Edited by race1911

• 1 month later...

Pretty much any pistol I have that has a mechanical thumb safety, I have become accustom to riding the safety. For me it's a natural spot to place the thumb once I draw the pistol. But I will say that the stock safety on the Shadow 2 is the perfect size.

On 9/22/2020 at 12:49 AM, DFIVE3 said:

Pretty much any pistol I have that has a mechanical thumb safety, I have become accustom to riding the safety. For me it's a natural spot to place the thumb once I draw the pistol. But I will say that the stock safety on the Shadow 2 is the perfect size.

I'm the opposite.  I don't have any pistol with a manual safety.  Never had one and never will.  The few times I've picked up someone else's 1911 I'd had to put it down because that flap of a safety feels completely wrong in my hands.