Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

4 Aces

rowdyb

4 Aces. From hands at sides, draw and shoot two rounds. Reload and shoot two more. Thus the name because of the 4 A zone hits, 4 Aces. Typically shot from 7 yards.

Usually I do a 2.5- something run. 0.95 draw, 0.15 split, 1.25 reload and 0.15 split for a 2.50 second run. The final run in this video is my new personal best of 2.30 seconds! And yes, the super fast guys can do it in 2.0 flat, but for me this is a new best ever. Shot with my CZ Shadow 2 and Production gear.

Edited by rowdyb

Nice ! I sometimes try that in dryfire speedmode too (with coolfire). Even then it´s pretty hard to land at, or even beat 2.00. Even without going hard for 4 Alphas. :)   

Have to try it in live fire someday, but i couldn´t  shoot since march due to corona.   

12 hours ago, rowdyb said:

Thanks. I know lots of people do it that fast, but it is a best for me.

I'm having a hard time breaking 2.9. My draw is okay on its own and the splits are there, but when putting it all together at speed I either miss my grip or fumble the reload. I nail most of my dryfire reloads and rarely fumble one badly in a match (though I'm more conservative there), but in drills like four aces I'm constantly sending mags flying or getting stuck on the magwell. I'm trying to work on staying relaxed and going fast without being frantic.

Edited by slowhands

I noticed mags on the ground while u were still seating.
Short class with Todd Jarrett playing games, saying I "should" be able to seat the reload before the empty hits the ground.  He then proceeds to do it repeatedly without effort. Made me hang my head and cry. I mean its freaky,, he doesnt even look like he is trying. he can be talking to you,, and pull it off.

Edited by Joe4d

53 minutes ago, Joe4d said:

Short class with Todd Jarrett playing games, saying I "should" be able to seat the reload before the empty hits the ground.  He then proceeds to do it repeatedly without effort. Made me hang my head and cry. I mean its freaky,, he doesnt even look like he is trying. he can be talking to you,, and pull it off.

Stop it about 0.32 and you'll see the mag seated as the old one is at knee height.

But yeah I always like pics of myself where that is happening. 

On 8/6/2020 at 11:31 AM, Joe4d said:

There is no real trick to this, except maybe to understand that the reload is a variable speed exercise, going "as fast as you can - medium/fast - as fast as you can."

There is usually way too much lollygagging in the initial pulling of the gun in and getting support hand on the magazine. If you get this part down, you can also be talking to people and doing it fast because it doesn't require visual inputs. You simply react quickly and move your hands with your fast twitch muscles. The time a magazine falls from 5 feet to the ground (on Earth, obviously) is 0.55 seconds. Your hands will be slightly above that, so we are talking closer to 0.6 seconds. That's a long time to do a (variant of) Burkett reload... 

Seating magazine before the old one falls down is like a timer - it just tells you that you moved the hands fast enough in the initial "as fast as you can" part of the reload and that you didn't mess up the insertion. 

You're consistent, but there are two things you can do to get sub 2.1 within the week.

1. What's your time to draw the gun to eye-level and fire a shot? Do not care about your sights. This is purely an indexing drill. If you initially see your sights, then you're going too slow. After a few dozen times, you'll start to see the fiber again but the main focus is lowering that time to the initial shot. A 0.90 average should be attainable.
  2. You're losing at least 2 tenths with the angle of insertion. I can see that you're very consistent with your current form, so ignore my comments if this will screw up years of practice. Try barely canting the gun. I'm talking roughly 10-15 degrees and reload that way. The reasoning is that your support hand has time to rotate the mag before it's inserted into the mag hole, but what slows down the overall reload is having to readjust the entire shooting grip back to a neutral position after seating. By having the gun in a more neutral position, there's less rotation needed with your shooting grip which allows for a quicker initial shot. I have to emphasize that you ignore your sights when pushing at this speed initially. A 1.05 average should be within reach.

Combined together, your average for this drill falls to 2.25 seconds.

A few months ago I was at 2.6 seconds. I didn't train 4 Aces ever, then decided to give it a go last week. I thought my timer was broken when it first went sub 2.10...

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...