Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Help! RFRO for kiddo - BUDGET BUILD recommendations needed

theautobahn

Background - my son shot his second steel challenge match this past weekend. The first match he shot last fall - we swapped guns back and forth. He used my SW 15-22 with a cheap 1-4 on it and his TCR22 (Thompson 10/22 rip-off) with a TRS-25. He said he liked the scope better on 1x than the red dot, so before last weekends match, I swapped optics around. After sighting everything in, we played with the plate rack to work on commands and transitions and the rifle with the scope was on the heavy side for him (he's a tall 11 year old, but seems to lack upper body strength). So he ended up using MY TCR22 that I had moved the TRS-25 to, and I used the 15-22 with a Primary Arms red dot.

We talked after the match. He enjoyed himself and wants to set his TCR22 up for Steel Challenge. However, the more I think about it, the more I'm thinking I want to build one of my 10/22's into a steel challenge gun that maybe we share (or maybe I'll start shooting pistol to try to help with my abysmal USPSA performance... 😜).

I have a few 10/22's - one in particular, that I'm good Franken-gunning. I am looking for suggestions on stocks, barrels, optics, etc. BUDGET FRIENDLY.

I'm thinking either a Hogue Overmold or Blackhawk Axiom stock, a lightweight .920 barrel and some sort of comp. Maybe the polymer C-MORE? Any other suggestions? Other upgrades?

Had an old 10/22 in the safe so I threw this one together for my daughter. Kidd trigger parts & ULW barrel. Plastic C-More 8MOA on a used Striplin mount i picked up here. Comp is a Griffin Ti taper mount (for suppressor use around the house). Axiom stock is cheap, light, and adjustable. Right after I installed the Kidd barrel, Wiland introduced their shrouded barrel. :-(689cfd192664d2a27085111c063b29bd.jpg

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

The OP didn't specify the age or size of his son, but I did learn something great this weekend.  A customer's very small son shot my T/CR-22 at our local SCSA match and it was much too big for him.  I measured his Length-of-Pull and it only was 10.25".  The LoP on the rifle is 13.5".  I checked the Blackhawk website for the specs on the Axiom for the 10/22.  It goes all the way down to 9.5", which should be plenty short for this young man, so we ordered one.

I wouldn't go too expensive on the compensator.  IMHO, the only real purpose for a comp on an RFRO is to make it loud enough that the timer will pick up its shots.  Additionally, the skinny barrel on the base model T/CR-22 is plenty light.  No real need to pay for a carbon-wrapped or aluminum barrel.  (My T/CR-22 weighs 4.57# with the SPARC II optic.  My MLR-22 is right there at 4.72# with a C-more.)

10 hours ago, Braxton1 said:

The OP didn't specify the age or size of his son, but I did learn something great this weekend.  A customer's very small son shot my T/CR-22 at our local SCSA match and it was much too big for him.  I measured his Length-of-Pull and it only was 10.25".  The LoP on the rifle is 13.5".  I checked the Blackhawk website for the specs on the Axiom for the 10/22.  It goes all the way down to 9.5", which should be plenty short for this young man, so we ordered one.

I wouldn't go too expensive on the compensator.  IMHO, the only real purpose for a comp on an RFRO is to make it loud enough that the timer will pick up its shots.  Additionally, the skinny barrel on the base model T/CR-22 is plenty light.  No real need to pay for a carbon-wrapped or aluminum barrel.  (My T/CR-22 weighs 4.57# with the SPARC II optic.  My MLR-22 is right there at 4.72# with a C-more.)

Sorry. He's a 5'2" 11 year old. But his upper body strength is a bit lacking. He struggles holding long guns up for too long. Otherwise I'd probably let him try my SBR PCC.
I think the TCR's are solid guns, but I kinda got the itch and just want to build something. But maybe I'll just get a CMORE and stick it on his rifle for now to make sure he actually enjoys it. But then again, I kinda want something for steel challenge, too...

PS - I looked at my original thread and did mention his age, but it's buried in that wall of text... 😉

11 hours ago, EarlKeese said:

Had an old 10/22 in the safe so I threw this one together for my daughter. Kidd trigger parts & ULW barrel. Plastic C-More 8MOA on a used Striplin mount i picked up here. Comp is a Griffin Ti taper mount (for suppressor use around the house). Axiom stock is cheap, light, and adjustable. Right after I installed the Kidd barrel, Wiland introduced their shrouded barrel. 😞689cfd192664d2a27085111c063b29bd.jpg

Oof. Centerfire can on a rimfire? Does it disassemble for cleaning? We have a direct thread rimfire can, so while I don't "need" the comp for a .22, it's nice to have the threaded barrel.

I'm going to try to find a cheap Axiom and go from there. This build is pretty close to exactly what I was thinking of doing. Thank you.

Oof. Centerfire can on a rimfire? Does it disassemble for cleaning? We have a direct thread rimfire can, so while I don't "need" the comp for a .22, it's nice to have the threaded barrel.

I'm going to try to find a cheap Axiom and go from there. This build is pretty close to exactly what I was thinking of doing. Thank you.
It's a form 1 30cal sub can(my first) and while heavy(15oz), it suppresses the .22 pretty well . I needed a comp for the 10/22 for timer purposes, so I said what the heck and bought the taper mount. I'll move the comp/mount to another rifle when the stamp comes in for my rimfire can.
Its a fun little rifle, my daughter loves it. Good luck with your build.

6 minutes ago, EarlKeese said:

It's a form 1 30cal sub can(my first) and while heavy(15oz), it suppresses the .22 pretty well . I needed a comp for the 10/22 for timer purposes, so I said what the heck and bought the taper mount. I'll move the comp/mount to another rifle when the stamp comes in for my rimfire can.
Its a fun little rifle, my daughter loves it. Good luck with your build.

Just be careful - if you shoot a bunch of .22 rimfire, it tends to gum up the can, then when you shoot a higher pressure centerfire round through it, you can cause some issues (read: metal chunks flying). As long as you can clean baffles / internals when going from rimfire to centerfire, you should be good to go.

In order of budget for your existing 10/22.  Axiom stock.  Wiland LLW 22 barrel (super fast transitions), and if there is money left in the budget a Kidd single stage trigger and bolt buffer.  I use a Sig Romeo One on mine, because it is inexpensive and has the required height.

Like ZZT posted

Axiom Blackhawk stock $45-70 on ebay

Whistlepig Lightweight threaded 16.5" barrel $185

Allchin 10/22 Muzzle brake $49

Kidd drop-in trigger kit $105

Use the TRS 25 if it's the right height on the Axiom stock.  A tube sight works fine on a rifle and it won't wash out in bright sunlight.  The light barrel and muzzle brake aren't strictly necessary, since your son is only 5'2" tall if the RO holds the timer higher than your son's head, it will pick up the shots fine.  However, shooting a custom rifle with fancy parts.....that's priceless to your son.

Nolan

The reason I mentioned the Wiland LLW (Ludicrously Light Weight) is it weighs only 11 oz. and all the weight is between your hands.  It is a 5.5" rifled barrel with a light weight steel shroud pinned and welded on.  It is the fastest transitioning barrel I've used yet.  Also, with no weight hanging out front you son will not get tired holding it.  BTW, the report is loud enough for any timer to pick up.

• 1 month later...

So... he's getting everything this weekend.

I ended up going with:
Axiom stock

Wiland LLW barrel

Kidd trigger (and a boatload of their other small parts including slingshot upgrade, rail, recoil spring, etc.)

I'll just polish the factory bolt and receiver a touch and call those good.

Two additional questions:

I got the trigger spring kit - what weight do people feel is appropriate? I've always been a "either your finger discipline is good, or it isn't" kind of guy and run light triggers on my stuff. But not sure how a sub-3 pound trigger would be for a kid...

Ammo? Do people have a preferred .22 load? I value cleanliness over accuracy for steel challenge since I HATE cleaning guns. We ran Rem Thunderbolts a couple matches ago and that was a horror show of dirtiness (we both had FTE's toward the end). I'd like something I can buy a boatload of. Mini-mags? Something else?

Personally, I run a 2 lb. trigger on my single stage Kidd.  What ammo your gun will like depends on which chamber you have in your LLW barrel.  If you ordered it with a Benz chamber you WILL have to be careful what ammo you run in it.  It has to be clean, so that means no bargain ammo or heavily waxed ammo.  Wolf, Norma Tac-22, SK, Eley all run well and are clean and accurate.  I like CCI AR-Tactical because they work and I can use the same ammo in my RFPO gun.

If you didn't specify a chamber you got a Sport chamber, so you can run just about anything.

8 hours ago, zzt said:

Personally, I run a 2 lb. trigger on my single stage Kidd.  What ammo your gun will like depends on which chamber you have in your LLW barrel.  If you ordered it with a Benz chamber you WILL have to be careful what ammo you run in it.  It has to be clean, so that means no bargain ammo or heavily waxed ammo.  Wolf, Norma Tac-22, SK, Eley all run well and are clean and accurate.  I like CCI AR-Tactical because they work and I can use the same ammo in my RFPO gun.

If you didn't specify a chamber you got a Sport chamber, so you can run just about anything.

I didn't specify and would have gone Sport anyway, probably. This gun was more for going fast than to put all the shots on a dime at 100. I have a soft spot for .22's and have other guns that could do that if I was interested in that sort of thing. But I've been on more of a Ricky Bobby ("I wanna go fast") kick lately.

If it were for me, I'd go with the lightest pull for sure. But didn't know what people's opinions were on a 2# trigger for a 12 year old (he just had his birthday). Like I said before, in my opinion, either you have trigger discipline or you don't, and 1 pound isn't going to make a huge difference.

ammo selection... I've gotten good reliability out of CCI Blazer... bought some at bulk prices before Wuhan Flu at less than 4 cents... individually packaged... works well in my BRN22 PMACA chassis 10/22, M41 and G44

a local club is running a Rimfire Challenge where you shoot 3 SC style stages, first with pistol, then rifle...getting a good turn out

Edited by Les Snyder

• 2 months later...

I need to grab some pictures, but I ended up doing a LLW barrel (swings super fast), an Axiom stock, and a bunch of Kidd parts (trigger kit (2 1/4 lbs), firing pin, recoil spring, buffer, charging handle, bolt release, pic rail, etc.). I polished the bolt and tried beveling the back edge, but I'm pretty sure he's just getting a new bolt for Christmas. Oh, and I ended up buying a Holosun tube sight for it.

I wanted to thank all of you for your suggestions. It came out really nicely and the kiddo is super happy with it. I'm honestly kinda jealous.

theautobahn... I really like the Holosun large window 510 sights... in Florida the ambient light can play hell on dot intensity from stage to stage depending on the amount of shade, and time of day... the solar cell provides a continuously bright dot... I have one on both my 10/22 and Mk IV lite... it looks a little funny on the Ruger, but the large window makes tracking the dot a lot easier for me... this dot sighted pistol is a new game as I've shot iron sight pistols for 30 or so years... regards

my competition long rifles are all AR platform based... when I decided to build another 10/22 I went with a Brownells BRN22 with integral rail and  barrel, Ruger bolt/charging handle, and BX trigger group and used a PMACA chassis... angle fore grip, Hogue AR grip and SOPMOD style rear stock

Edited by Les Snyder