Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Need Glock 19 bullet suggestion

ormandj

I've got a good bit of BE-86 and CCI 500s sitting loose, and I'm about to start reloading for pistol again. It's been 10+ years since I last loaded for pistol - and prior I was doing 45 ACP w/ Zero Bullets. Component selection is obviously a little more difficult to come by right now, so the whole test everything/pick what works best option is out for me. I'm looking for suggestions on 9mm projectiles to use. This isn't for competition (at this point) - but to practice without blowing through my defensive ammunition at great cost. I'm shooting 147gr Federal HST, so I'm looking to approximate the recoil/characteristics of this. I'm planning to shoot 1-2k rounds per month for a while to build proficiency again, so will be buying at least a reasonable quantity.

What jacketed bullets are considered the go-to for reloading in 147gr nowadays? I'd consider coated/plated if they would function well/not be horrible to shoot/clean, but I wouldn't mind paying a little more to not worry about issues if it makes sense. I'm not trying to save every last dollar, just not shoot $2 bills downrange every time I pull the trigger. It's fine if they're not currently in stock (I expect this, in fact), I just need to know what to start watching like a hawk to purchase when it is available. It's hard picking up where I left off over a decade ago, it seems like there's a lot more options out there. Thanks!

For jacketed, can’t go wrong with Montana Gold or Zero.
For plated, I’ve been shooting Berry’s for the last 15+ years with great results from my Glock’s.
As far as coated go, I really can’t comment. I just got a case of Blue Bullets and Precision Bullets to test and play with due to cost, and mainly availability issues currently with Berry’s.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

For jacketed, can’t go wrong with Montana Gold or Zero.
For plated, I’ve been shooting Berry’s for the last 15+ years with great results from my Glock’s.
As far as coated go, I really can’t comment. I just got a case of Blue Bullets and Precision Bullets to test and play with due to cost, and mainly availability issues currently with Berry’s.

Recently tried coated bullets for the first time. Have shot 1.5K+ DG bullets (125 CN) out of my G19 and so far so good. Only bought 2K of it and it was slightly cheaper than the Blues. Once they're out, I'm gonna try some of the Blues.

You are all wonderfully helpful, thank you for the responses and information, it gives me a great starting place to do some research. With the coated bullets, such as the Blue bullets, does the coating rub off on your hands or anything like that? I'm assuming it's baked on, I just want to make sure I'm not essentially dealing with blue lipstick sticks, that would drive me nuts. On the Hi-tek coated bullets, is the 'smell' issue real, or is that just bad batches done by poor suppliers who didn't properly cure them? Thank you all.

You are all wonderfully helpful, thank you for the responses and information, it gives me a great starting place to do some research. With the coated bullets, such as the Blue bullets, does the coating rub off on your hands or anything like that? I'm assuming it's baked on, I just want to make sure I'm not essentially dealing with blue lipstick sticks, that would drive me nuts. On the Hi-tek coated bullets, is the 'smell' issue real, or is that just bad batches done by poor suppliers who didn't properly cure them? Thank you all.

Coated Bullets do have a small to them when using a fast burning powder, like titegroup. I have tried multiple manufactures of coated bullets and all will have a smell to them when shooting hot burning powder because it starts burning the coating off the bottom of the bullet

2 hours ago, ormandj said:

With the coated bullets, such as the Blue bullets, does the coating rub off on your hands or anything like that? I'm assuming it's baked on, I just want to make sure I'm not essentially dealing with blue lipstick sticks, that would drive me nuts. On the Hi-tek coated bullets, is the 'smell' issue real, or is that just bad batches done by poor suppliers who didn't properly cure them? Thank you all.

The DG bullets didn't leave any residue on my hands or on my reloading press. But I see a bit of green marking inside my mags when I clean them, where the bullets rub the front wall of the mags. Not a big deal, a few brush strokes is all they need. As of the smell, it has a distinct smell, especially since I use Titegroup, but I can hardly smell it when shooting outdoor. Thankfully none of the ranges I go to is indoor.

5 hours ago, ormandj said:

I haven't noticed any coating rubbing off with SNS bullets. When I load a few hundred Blue Bullets (no bulletfeeder), my fingers get bluish, but it's not an issue with normal handling.

Well, managed to snag a good number of 147gr JHPs from Zero. Thank you again for all of the advice, I'll pick up smaller quantities of the coated when I can find them in stock and give them a try - I'd not have tried them if I hadn't gotten feedback here, so I really appreciate it.

I forgot to ask one more question - what brass should I be looking for? Any brands to look at/avoid? I've generally just purchased loaded ammunition and collected, but that's a bit harder right now. Knowing what brands to look at will help with opportunistic shopping.

Lot’s of threads on brass, essentially CBC is hardest to load deep, watch out for steel and stepped brass. These days there’s a lot of NATO “crimped” primer pocketed brass, so swaging the pockets or just sorting them out will make seating primers a little easier. 

If you haven’t read it here yet, learn to “plunk” test you reloads to make sure it will seat and fire in your gun. Bullet profiles matter. 

Enjoy!

Copy that, will dig. No worries on steel, I don't shoot it rifle or pistol. I avoid crimped too, I'm not a range brass collector. I read you on the 'plunk' test, I've loaded 10s of thousands of pistol rounds, just stopped about 12 years ago or so since I was only shooting rifle. I'll make sure to test fit before loading up a few k. Thanks!

I, too, have recently gotten back in the game. 

I have found this forum to be an extremely helpful resource. 

I'm shooting these through a G19 gen4.

Using an older Lee turret press and dies. 

147gr Montana Gold + 3.2gr of HP38 (plunked at 1.110 OAL) have performed flawlessly with the best results (for me). 

I've recently started loading/shooting local mfg Hi Tek coated 147gr FN using 3.2gr Sport Pistol (plunked at 1.120 OAL). A little dirtier but performing flawlessly.

Mixed brass. Agreed on CBC brass issues. 

Winchester and CCI primers.

I have not Chrono'd yet (next purchase). 

Zero feed issues. 

Welcome back to the game!