Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

9mm load that will work in Glock 19 and 1911.

Bobkoh

Sorry guys, I am new to reloading 9mm and have no problems with a 9mm 1911 (I'll be adding a  2nd shortly), however a friend of mine has my Dillon and it would be nice to set up a load (preferably 124 grain bullet) that works in both a stock Glock 19 and (the easy one) a 9mm 1911. I normally use 231 if anyone out there knows of a load, it would be a great help

One more question, is anyone using coated bullets in a stock Glock 19? Sorry I have to ask, I am NOT a Glock person. The blue bullets look interesting, but after asked two Glock armorers, it's a "not sure" kind of things.

Thanks in advance for your help. 45acp is still easy, I'm still using my 44 year old Star. :)

Edited by Bobkoh
minor correction

If the 9mm load will work in the 1911, then it will work in the Glock.  The finicky gun is the 1911, not the Glock! 

Is that always the case? Don’t some 1911s allow you to load much longer than will fit in a Glock magazine?

Years back when I shot a .40 cal SVI, I was using an OAL that wouldn’t fit in a Glock mag. I don’t know about traditional 1911s, but my STI 9mm will also accept a much longer OAL then the Glock.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

what you will find is basically bullet profile that the 1911 will feed and a length that will fit into the Glock .At one time I had three different 1911s .#1 would only feed /function wilt round nose ammo loaded to 1.175 ish length . That would not fit in any Glock mag that I have .#2 would feed /function with round nose ammo loaded to 1.150 length .some times this would not work in my glocks but rarely. # 3 worked with all bullet profiles and  is very length tolerant.         As far as coated bullets go yes they are arguably the most used bullet composition. use the search or better yet just look tear are at least three discussions going on right now.

Can't speak to the 1911 until you have one on hand, but the Blue Bullets have worked fine in my stock 3rd Gen G19 and G17. I went from XTreme 9mm 115g to Blue 115g with no issues. Seating profile was the same so no die adjustments were needed. Shot about 1K Blue and then went back to plated. Didn't care for the smell of the Blue, although most people don't notice it.

Dave

Generally, if the round will work in your 9mm 1911, it'll work in your Glock. That said, depends on which generation Glock you have, as I've been hearing for a while now that the Gen 5 Glock's are their own animal now and have much shorter chambers than the older generations, so you may have to load for those more like you would for a CZ (shorter rather than longer).

For some reason a lot of guys try to load their 9mm rounds as longs possible, mostly because they can. But if loading long isn't needed for feeding/reliability or noticeably better accuracy, rounds that are loaded shorter or to a more "middle-of-the road" length will work in more guns...  I load my 9mmm to 1.115 on average (to accommodate an CZ S2 with a shorter chamber), and the same load/round works great in an 9MM STI Trojan, Glock 17 3rd Gen, and MPX PCC. I've tried loading longer to squeeze more accuracy or to just see what it did for me in my Trojan (9mm 1911), but it didn't get me anything extra or perform any differently than the 1.115 round in my case (other than being a little long for the CZ).

As far as the Blue Bullets, that's all I use, but I'd recommend the "special order" .356 size over their standard .355. Seems for every other coated-bullet maker out there besides Blue, .356 is the standard... so I consider .356 the "real standard" if you will. The slightly larger tighter fitting bullet is generally considered less likely to lead up your barrels. I've heard Blue just went to "their standard" size of .355 so guys new to coated bullets wouldn't have to adjust their flare much or over crimp them as easily and mess up their coating. YMMV.

Here are my couple of cents.  First, I simply cannot stand the smell of most coated bullets when fired.  Even using cool burning powders I get a lot more smoke that with plated or jacketed.  Plus, plated and jacketed are much more accurate in all my guns.

Second, the OALs you can run in a 1911 are mag related (as long as you have enough leade to accommodate).  With the mag catch and mags I use I can run RN from 1.126" to 1.161" OAL.  Bullet profiles with huge hollow points or wide meplats require OALs at the shorter end of that range. 

So my advice would be to develop a load that runs in a Glock/mag and then tune your 1911 to run the same.  If you want to run coated I'd recommend Precision bullets.  They are more accurate than most coated, and they don't smell when fired.