Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Front sight loose on a 929

MikeyScuba

Well that’s a first for me having the pinned front sight come loose.  Explains why I’m constantly adjusting the rear when I’m shooting groups.  I’m getting good groups just in a different place each time I go to the range.

How do I tighten it?  I’m not overwhelmed with choices of decent revo smiths north of the border.

thx

9 minutes ago, mchapman said:

A different gun than the one with the worn hammer stud?

Yea.  I’m debating on just shooting that f@@ker until it breaks.  I don’t have a gunsmith up here I trust yet importing it to Mojo might not be a possibility right now due to Covid??  Something about US gov’t being short staffed... like really?!?  I’ll call the import/export place tomorrow.
 I did get Dave O to start a 3rd 929 for each of us.  These things are worse than potato chips lol.

Easy to import a gun into Canada.  We have no shortage of civil servants up here.

9 minutes ago, NoSteel said:

Roll pin probably has compressed a little and became loose??  I replaced mine when I put a FO sight on.

Anyone got dimensions of a roll pin?  Would be nice to have a simple fix.

13 minutes ago, MikeyScuba said:

Anyone got dimensions of a roll pin?  Would be nice to have a simple fix.

Don’t remember the pin size.  For a new sight you end up with a new one and drill the sight to fit tight.  Idea of the work needed:  https://www.revolversupply.com/blog/replacing-front-sights-on-sw-revolvers-can-i-install-a-new-front-sight/

Drill it out to .062 or 1/16 and get Spirol pins that are 1/16" diam. x 1/4" long. www.mcmaster.com has them. You want #91598A105. You get 100 pins for US$5.19 + shipping.

Edited by Toolguy

1/16” solid pin

1/16” drill bit

Install front site in gun. Use drill press to drill halfway through front sight base and front sight. Flip gun over and repeat. Install solid roll pin with hammer and punch. Use clear 2 part epoxy to seal both sides of roll pin. 

If you’re still worried about it, install 2 of them.