Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Reloading advice for a g17

Desk-Jockey

Putting this here for advice specific to glock shooters.  Getting back into USPSA and shooting a G17 in production for now and anticipate a jump to carry optics in the next year.  

I am setting up my reloading press and looking for some hints on preferred reload formulas and other advice.  

- I plan on using coated bullets.  Do I need to swap to an aftermarket barrel?

- going to see what my gun likes between 124 and 147 and what feels best to shoot.  What’s your favorite recipe for minor PF?

- I have a Wolff guide rod.   Thinking about a calibration pack of springs to tune once I zero in on a load.  

Edited by Desk-Jockey

Not definitive by any means, but here's what I do:

1.  I run a KKM barrel.  I don't think it is NECESSARY with coated bullets.  I've run Blues thru an OEM barrel with no problems.

2.  I like 124s, as the recoil impulse seems to be over with quicker, IMHO.  I run 4.1 gr. of N320 or 3.8 grains of TiteGroup behind Berry's or Xtreme plated bullets.

3.  I use tungsten uncaptured guide rods with a 13# or 14# spring.  You have to be careful to test your individual gun, ensuring that pressing the trigger doesn't cause the slide to unlock whenever running lighter-than-stock recoil springs.  My gun wanted to do this with 11# springs, so I went with 13's.

Edited by Braxton1

Hello: I use 124-125 coated bullets, Clean shot powder or Tite Group powder. I load to 1.125" OAL since that works for the bullets I am using in a stock Glock 17 barrel. 13lb ISMI recoil spring, steel or tungsten guide rod. Since you have a Wolff guide rod use a 12lb Wolff recoil spring. Thanks, Eric

1) No need to swap to an aftermarket, the OEM barrel is plenty accurate for USPSA and will run coated just fine.  I use Sport Pistol which is supposed to be better for coated bullets.

2) I use Blue 125 RNs.  I found with the 124/5s that the dot got back on target a little faster than the 147s.  Pick up some of each and play around with what feels better to you.  Sport Pistol, Blue 125 RN, loaded to 1.130" OAL has worked flawlessly and averaged around 131PF in my G17.  Your mileage may vary on loads.

3) I also use a 13lb spring on an uncaptured guide rod.  I think between 12-15lb springs should be fine and I've honestly tried them all but settled on the 13.  Depending on your shooting supply vendor preference, some lb weights are more commonly sold than others if that matters to you.

4 hours ago, cjmill87 said:

1) No need to swap to an aftermarket, the OEM barrel is plenty accurate for USPSA and will run coated just fine.  

been doing the same on my glocks (17 and 19 both gen 5) this year, been using summers bullet coated 9mm 145 grain, 4.6 wst powder, WSP primer @ 940/fps. 

Don't waste money on a KKM, I've shot 20,000 plus rounds through a factory barrel and it still looks new. I shoot Blue Bullet 125 gr, 1.125 OAL, 3.7 gr Titegroup and that makes 131 PF out of a 17. For 150 gr Blue Bullets I load to 1.15 OAL and 3.2 gr Titegroup, but between the two I prefer the 125. 

What gen 17 you running? I run a Gen 5, stock barrel with 125 blue round nose, 3.8 sport pistol at 1.080", 14# spring on a stainless uncaptured rod. This set up is the best for me I've come up with, I know some can load longer, but with the round nose this gets me 100% punk testing in my barrel.

14 hours ago, floater said:

What gen 17 you running? I run a Gen 5, stock barrel with 125 blue round nose, 3.8 sport pistol at 1.080", 14# spring on a stainless uncaptured rod. This set up is the best for me I've come up with, I know some can load longer, but with the round nose this gets me 100% punk testing in my barrel.

gen 3.  

I am going to order some summers and blue bullets and see what she likes.  

• 3 weeks later...

You probably don’t need a aftermarket barrel, unless you can outshoot the barrel you have. Coated is fine in your oem, may even be more accurate running pills at .356. In oem gen3 barrels I’ve found that the mages are the limiting factor on loading long. Most shooters run the 13lb recoil spring, but you may want to get 11, and a 15 and see which gives you smaller groups at about 7 yds,while practicing double taps. If you run Wolff you can get a heavier tungsten guide Rod  than you can running ISMI, as the wolff’s fit on a larger diameter rod. Although I have not found any great benefit to either one. 

Gen4 17, OEM barrel. 13 lb ISMI recoil spring, 5 lb striker spring, type 0- blood.   I'm using Acme 124 coated bullets, Tula, CCI or Win SP's and W231.   W231 isn't my first choice for powder 'cause it burns dirty but I have a ton of it and it meters well in my Dillon.  When I run out of W231, I'm going to try to work up a load using WST. 

It's not like the soot left behind by W231 is a major problem but since I know there are cleaner burning powders out there, I'll go there. 

Edited by NETim

I run the stock barrel and it has around 60,000 down it, works fine.

I'm on a 124g DGbullet with 4.0 grains of clean shot. 

11pound ismi recoil spring on a Jager products gen4 guide rod and a 4.5 pound striker spring. 

Johnny Glock trigger in all my Glocks.

Confirming what others have said here...

Factory barrel is fine for coated bullets in my experience. I’m using 135 Blues

Sport pistol is my preferred powder and tite group is my backup. 3.3 to 3.5gr of either in a Glock 17.

13lb spring helps with 130PF ammo.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk