Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

43X brass to face issue

OnnaBugeisha

43X with around 6,000 rounds through it. About 1,000 rounds ago, started to have a significant BTF issue, with a few rounds from every mag coming straight back at me - bouncing off my hat, my eye pro, my face.  Tried different mags, different ammo.  Had a Glock armorer look at it at a GSSF match; he said he didn’t see any reason I should be having that issue but replaced the extractor to see if that helped. It didn’t. Anybody else having this issue?  Were you able to fix it?

Does it have the breech face cut? Usually the ones that do throw the brass out like crazy. 

Not sure if it relates, but I have heard the RSA should be changed frequently on the 43/43X/48 pistols — like every 2,500 rounds and certainly by 5,000. 

23 hours ago, GJM said:

Does it have the breech face cut? Usually the ones that do throw the brass out like crazy. 

Not sure if it relates, but I have heard the RSA should be changed frequently on the 43/43X/48 pistols — like every 2,500 rounds and certainly by 5,000. 

It does have the breech face cut, as does my gen 5 G34, and I’ve never had that problem with the 34. So weird.

Good point on the RSA - I hadn’t changed it yet because it’s still tight and I haven’t had any problems with the gun returning to battery, but it’s definitely worth trying changing that out to see if it helps. 

17 hours ago, lgh said:

BTF meaning ... ? Factory ammo or reloads. Gun Stock or ...

BTF = Brass to Face

All factory ammo.  Variety of Blazer Brass (115, 124, 147 grain), Federal Black Pack (115 gr I think), Magtech (124 gr), SB (124 gr), and other range ammo. Also couple different types of self defense ammo - Gold Dot, HST, Hornady.  Seems slightly worse with the Blazer 124, but changing ammo didn’t really make a difference. 

Gun is completely stock.

3 hours ago, ima45dv8 said:

Did the armored change the recoil spring assembly?

He did not.  I did tell him the round count and specifically asked if the RSA might be the issue since the problem seemed to correlate with rounds through the gun and nothing else was showing wear. I’ll change it out and see if that helps. 

He should have changed it. That's sorta the standard `first fix` for getting brass in the face. If that doesnt work then the shooter`s grip is next. Since you been running it fine for this long i doubt thats the problem. 

14 hours ago, ima45dv8 said:

He should have changed it. That's sorta the standard `first fix` for getting brass in the face. If that doesnt work then the shooter`s grip is next. Since you been running it fine for this long i doubt thats the problem. 

@ima45dv8

Thanks for the input!  I thought it was really odd that he changed the extractor but not the RSA.  I don't have this issue with any of my other guns (including 2 other Glocks) so my assumption is that its something specific to that gun.  Will change out the RSA and see what happens.....