Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Which CZ for Production Division?

anonymouscuban

Hey all.

I currently shoot a SP-01 Safety version that's upgraded with CGW pro package, 10x bushing, etc. I love the gun but I'm now looking to buy a replacement.

I want to stick with CZ. Living in California, with our stupid gun roster, none of the newer CZ pistols are available in stores so it makes it very difficult to preview any of them. I've had the opportunity to shoot a stock Shadow 2 for several hundred rounds at the range. I like it and I know its the workhorse for Production division.

That all said, I would love to hear from those have shot some of the other models before I make a decision. For example, the AO1-LD, Shadow 2 Orange, Bull Shadow.

Are any of these worth the premium over a stock S2 considering I can easily upgrade it with a few springs and such?

Thanks for help this inmate of People's Republik.

Sent from my SM-G930U using Tapatalk

I know a few high level shooters in California that shoot CZ. They have their choice of whatever is in the stable. All of them prefer the S2 and have 4+ of them.
Yeah, the S2 seems like the go to Production CZ at my local matches as well. Just not sure if it's because everyone shoots it and the difficulty in getting off roster pistols here.

Sent from my SM-G930U using Tapatalk

I have a SP-01 safety version with the addition of fiber optic sights, g10 grips and trigger work from CJ Maven. It is much improved over stock. However I much prefer my Shadow 2 which has only been upgraded with a 13lb hammer spring and 13lb recoil spring. After the trigger work, the SP-01 has a lighter trigger than the S2.

My son greatly prefers the SP-01 over the Shadow 2. I greatly prefer the S2 over the SP-01. He just likes the feel and balance of the SP--01 better. Slow fire on paper, they're basically the same. But for me, shooting and moving, the S2 is preferable. 

There are so few people shooting Production that I don't know what most people use, but the Shadow 2 is popular and what I use for Production. This weekend there were three Production shooters in my squad. Two of us with Shadow 2's and one guy with a Glock 34. Those two guys were the top Production shooters at the match and they were pretty much  equally accurate with the guy shooting the G34 being faster.  Also, there was a guy shooting Carry Optics in our group using a Shadow 2. His gun has CGW trigger work with the slide milled and lightened by GCW.

Can't speak to the AO1 or Orange. I'm sure they're fantastic, but you won't go wrong with the Shadow 2. Whether or not it's an upgrade over your SP-01 will be personal preference.

Edited by Stafford

The top two I've shot are the AccuShadow 2 and the A01-LD.   

Maybe my weirdness, but the biggest takeaway for me was the trigger guard.  The rounded trigger guard of the A01 was really cooperative with the way I like to grip.  The Shadow 2 trigger guard seems a bit too big, and is a tiny bit in my way.  Could I adapt?  Of course.  But why bother, when the A01 is right there?

Gonna be a totally personal decision, and imo the only wrong answer would be to fail to try them both.

The S2 is hard to beat.  The performance you get for  the price is hard to go another direction.

I really like the sound of the A01LD, but justifying the cost is hard... especially since I've never actually handled one in person.  I'd like to get one, but then I'd be investing in all new mags and holster.  And I'd need to still keep all my old stuff for backup.

35 minutes ago, LuvDog said:

The S2 is hard to beat.  The performance you get for  the price is hard to go another direction.

I really like the sound of the A01LD, but justifying the cost is hard... especially since I've never actually handled one in person.  I'd like to get one, but then I'd be investing in all new mags and holster.  And I'd need to still keep all my old stuff for backup.

The A01LD can run on standard CZ75 mags. You can either get the special grips from CZC that make up the difference in the width of the CZ75 vis-a-vis the P10 mags, or you can do what I do which is just run the CZ75 mags and live with a bit of wobble. 

3 hours ago, Stafford said:

My son greatly prefers the SP-01 over the Shadow 2. I greatly prefer the S2 over the SP-01.

Small hands prefer the traditional 75-series grip, and I’ve known several junior and youth shooters who universally love that smaller grip.

Bigger hands? The SP01 is a bit cramped and the Tanfoglio-sized grip of the Shadow 2 is a much better fit. I certainly fall into this group.

Also? Production Ms and GMs tend to be 16-45 year old males who have larger hands, and they set the trend other guys follow.

Edited by MemphisMechanic

17 minutes ago, MemphisMechanic said:

Small hands prefer the traditional 75-series grip, and I’ve known several junior and youth shooters who universally love that smaller grip.

Bigger hands? The SP01 is a bit cramped and the Tanfoglio-sized grip of the Shadow 2 is a much better fit. I certainly fall into this group.

Also? Production Ms and GMs tend to be 16-45 year old males who have larger hands, and they set the trend other guys follow.

I'm 6'1 and I think my hands are about average for a person of that height.

Shadow 2 did not fit me and it felt like it wanted to duck hunt. SPO1 and 75's feel good to me, Tanfo's a little better.

I think it is just a personal thing. 

7 hours ago, Stdz said:

SP01 would be a good budget choice. Just don't try making it into a S2. 

Many like the looks and feel of the S2, and the oem trigger will be good enough for many, beyond that I can not see any advantage to one over the other. The SP01 firing pin block is noticeable but if you make it right (polish and lighter spring) it still allows for an excellent trigger. On both guns the triggers and accuracy can be excellent, I ended up doing the same trigger work to the S2 that I did to my other CZ's but I am overly fussy. 

Disadvantage to no firing pin block is that if you make the normal mods (extended firing pin, reduced weight firing pin spring) and reload with deep seated federal primers and flub the draw the gun can go off when it hits the ground. Happened to me with a 75. 

I shot the S2 for a couple seasons but then went to the older 75 Shadow (short dust cover), which is close to the pre-B I started with.

I don't think it really makes much difference.  The lighter gun feels more nimble to me and feels closer to the SS guns I also enjoy shooting on occasion.

I've stopped chasing performance in different guns and use the money to buy better reloading gear and components.

Shooting more always is the better investment. I just feel you can't beat the S2 weight and trigger combo. It's one sweet shooting gun. I'm excited to get a optic on the thing. 

if you are used to the SP-01, Keep shooting it. 

The rear cut on the S2 is deeper than the SP-01, it will make your presentation a bit off. 
I have a few SP-01/S1, added the S2 and quickly ditched it. Its (S2) a top notch gun, but having 1,000s or rounds on the SP-01, it through me off a bit. 

I’ve had multiple S2s (with and without optics cuts), CZ75 variants and now 2 Bull Shadow variants.

personally, the standard Bull shadow is a perfect blend of S2 and SP01. I like the short dust cover and rounded trigger guard. It’s more balanced toward the rear (and adding heavier grips and extra cap Mag further pulls the balance into the palm).

but in reality, only you can decide which suits your hand and shooting style best.

• 3 weeks later...

I live in Northern Cali and shoot a CZ Sp01 that has Cajun Gunworks parts in it. I thought of the idea of buying a Shadow 2 also, but decided that buying it off roster used at double the price wasnt possible. I recently purchased a  complete BullShadow upper from CZC for one of my SP01's . Testing it now and have not shot it in a match yet, but so far in practice Im liking it.

• 2 weeks later...

The SP01 Shadow versions are what you want for competition, if you prefer that grip over the large S2. Shadow implies no firing pin block, thus better trigger pull.  SP01 Shadow Custom are CZ Custom shop versions with all the trigger work and basic tuning out of the box, good value and nice trigger.  

The SP01 Shadow and the Shadow 2 are very good value for the money. A little bit of polishing and a 13lb hammer spring or even a 11.5 and the gun will not hold you back. If the additional $1000 are wort it, is a question only you can answer. My sp01s cost me between 850 and 1150 and the additional money spend will not make me shoot better and it will not make me feel better either.  That said, I spent more money than I needed on a Tanfoglio limited and it makes me smile every time I pick it up. So it is more a “feeling “ question than a “performance “ question as long as the gun fits you perfectly and points easily for you.  You will know when you pick up the gun which fits you, doesn’t mean you can’t shoot the others. If you didn’t know right away when you picked up the shadow 2 than stick with your sp01. 

On 8/6/2020 at 7:10 AM, IHAVEGAS said:

Many like the looks and feel of the S2, and the oem trigger will be good enough for many, beyond that I can not see any advantage to one over the other. The SP01 firing pin block is noticeable but if you make it right (polish and lighter spring) it still allows for an excellent trigger. On both guns the triggers and accuracy can be excellent, I ended up doing the same trigger work to the S2 that I did to my other CZ's but I am overly fussy. 

Disadvantage to no firing pin block is that if you make the normal mods (extended firing pin, reduced weight firing pin spring) and reload with deep seated federal primers and flub the draw the gun can go off when it hits the ground. Happened to me with a 75. 

That is very helpful, thank you for sharing your experience with the non firing pin block CZs. Logic says that firing if dropped has a higher probability of occurring with these pistols, but you have real experience with it. 

• 4 months later...