Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

M&P15-22 Extraction

Smitty79

I have and M&P 15-22 with about 500 rounds through it.    It goes "bang" with every type of 22LR I feed it.    But the the only ammo that extracts reliably are the high velocity CCI.    Mini-mags and Stingers have been flawless.  Aguila Super Extra and Remington Thunderbolt fail to extract 1 round in 4.   Is there something I can due to tune it to run well on non-CCI ammo?    I have buckets of it.

My son has one and his had a few problems as well.  Do a search online for tuning the extractor.  Basically push/pull it until it barely (or just hints at) touches the bottom of the bolt.  Also push/pull until the tip of the extractor hook just barely touches the "rib" in the cent of the bolt on the bottom.  Once I did that, his has run flawless for many 1000 rounds.

Edited by s2000red
Misspell

23 hours ago, Smitty79 said:

I have and M&P 15-22 with about 500 rounds through it.    It goes "bang" with every type of 22LR I feed it.    But the the only ammo that extracts reliably are the high velocity CCI.    Mini-mags and Stingers have been flawless.  Aguila Super Extra and Remington Thunderbolt fail to extract 1 round in 4.   Is there something I can due to tune it to run well on non-CCI ammo?    I have buckets of it.

Do you mean failure to eject?  Stovepipes and empties caught in the receiver or is it leaving spent cases stuck in the chamber.

If it's failing to eject spent cases out of the receiver, it is may need the ejector tuned.  Gently bend it upwards until it just almost, but not quite drags on the bottom of the bolt and then then bend it in sideways towards the center until it again, almost, but not quite drags on the bolt.

Some people have fixed ejection problems with an aftermarket extractor, but both of mine run fine with the original extractor.  (Just make sure you still have one, I had one go missing after a Remington Thunderbolt case blew out.)

If it's leaving spent cases in the chamber, and is not resetting the hammer, it is short stroking from the weaker ammo.  The bolt is not moving far enough to the rear to hit the ejector and is stuffing the spent case back in the chamber.

There is a lot of good information on the 15-22 over on Rimfire Central.

Nolan

12 hours ago, Nolan said:

Do you mean failure to eject?  Stovepipes and empties caught in the receiver or is it leaving spent cases stuck in the chamber.

If it's failing to eject spent cases out of the receiver, it is may need the ejector tuned.  Gently bend it upwards until it just almost, but not quite drags on the bottom of the bolt and then then bend it in sideways towards the center until it again, almost, but not quite drags on the bolt.

Some people have fixed ejection problems with an aftermarket extractor, but both of mine run fine with the original extractor.  (Just make sure you still have one, I had one go missing after a Remington Thunderbolt case blew out.)

If it's leaving spent cases in the chamber, and is not resetting the hammer, it is short stroking from the weaker ammo.  The bolt is not moving far enough to the rear to hit the ejector and is stuffing the spent case back in the chamber.

There is a lot of good information on the 15-22 over on Rimfire Central.

Nolan

Thanks.   Cases are extracting from chamber but not ejecting from receiver.