Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Les Baer 1,5” 50 yards guarantee.

Phoenix1977

1 hour ago, BigMoneyGrip said:

I can't shoot 1 1/2 at 50 yards and I'm sure the guns without that guarantee would outshoot 99% of the people anyway. 

I'm pretty good, I used to do Bullseye Shooting,  years ago.  Can I shoot an inch and a half at 50 yards standing with both hands?  not on my best day.  so you got to ask yourself, are you capable of shooting inch and a half groups at 50 yards? To make it worth spending all that extra money. I have a great Springfield Armory range officer, @ 25 yards I can keep and pretty much into 10 and the X-Ring of a B27, I'm about 2" to 4"  that's good for me.

On 8/2/2020 at 5:58 PM, Phoenix1977 said:

Hello guys,

I’m at the point of ordering a Les Baer 1911 in .45 ACP. Should I spend the extra money for the 50 yards accuracy guarantee, or is it overkill?

I do shoot competition, but not beyond 25 yards.

I think it is overkill, but it still might be worth it to you.

If the gun brings more pride of ownership, and/or if you get a kick out of shooting the best groups you are capable of and/or if you like to have one gun where you feel like group size is all about how you are shooting, the extra $300 might make sense. 

Thank you guys for your comments.

Since i’m from the Netherlands and Les Baer’s are really nowhere to be seen or even sold, I have to buy one in Germany and import it to the Netherlands, I expect it to be a long wait. Long story short; it’s gonna take time and money, so i’ll throw in that extra $300 and buy my dreamgun. Buy once, cry once.

And nothing is more worse;  “Wow...is that a Les Baer?!” ...”yes, it sure is”...”does it have the accuracy guarantee?”......”ehh, no it doesn’t”.....”ow....that’s a pity, because....”

🥺

The question is not whether the OP can shoot 1.5" groups at 50 yards, the question is how much more margin for error it gets you.  The difference between 3" and 1.5" at 50 is a big deal.  It is not so much at 25, but it is still there.

The OP wants to shoot at 25 yards only.  A pistol that gives you 3" at 50 yards will give you approximately 1.25" groups at 25.  So at 25 from a Ransom rest it is entirely possible that none of the ten shots hits the X ring.  The 1.5" at 50 gun will give you .625" groups at 25.  So every shot from the rest touches the X ring.

The same logic applies to the 10 ring.  Yes the 3" gun will put all ten shots touching the 10 ring from a rest.  The 1.5" gun gets you all Xs.  Now factor in the one handed hold.  You wobble.  The 3" gun will get you a 100 if you don't wobble at all.  The 1.5" give you some margin for error.

FWIW, I go for accuracy.  That's why I paid $75 extra for my Marvel Precision Unit One to come with the .400"~.499" accuracy guarantee at 50 yards using Eley Target 22 ammo.  That's why I built my own target 1911 45 and fit it so precisely it locks up Identically each time.  It took two barrels to get the accuracy I wanted.  Accuracy is important to me because I want to down right know that a bad score was MY fault and not the guns.

So, can I shoot 100 10X slow fire at 50 yards with my 22 upper and ammo.  No.  But I know the gun can.

very good point zzt,  I looked at it the same way when I purchased the 1.5 group gun,  now my performance is all on me.  and at 25 yrd free hand it makes a difference stacking bullets is easier, do I still pull shots absolutely. but its fun trying to get the gun to perform like I know it can.  

On 8/6/2020 at 5:38 PM, zzt said:

The question is not whether the OP can shoot 1.5" groups at 50 yards, the question is how much more margin for error it gets you.  The difference between 3" and 1.5" at 50 is a big deal.  It is not so much at 25, but it is still there.

The OP wants to shoot at 25 yards only.  A pistol that gives you 3" at 50 yards will give you approximately 1.25" groups at 25.  So at 25 from a Ransom rest it is entirely possible that none of the ten shots hits the X ring.  The 1.5" at 50 gun will give you .625" groups at 25.  So every shot from the rest touches the X ring.

The same logic applies to the 10 ring.  Yes the 3" gun will put all ten shots touching the 10 ring from a rest.  The 1.5" gun gets you all Xs.  Now factor in the one handed hold.  You wobble.  The 3" gun will get you a 100 if you don't wobble at all.  The 1.5" give you some margin for error.

FWIW, I go for accuracy.  That's why I paid $75 extra for my Marvel Precision Unit One to come with the .400"~.499" accuracy guarantee at 50 yards using Eley Target 22 ammo.  That's why I built my own target 1911 45 and fit it so precisely it locks up Identically each time.  It took two barrels to get the accuracy I wanted.  Accuracy is important to me because I want to down right know that a bad score was MY fault and not the guns.

So, can I shoot 100 10X slow fire at 50 yards with my 22 upper and ammo.  No.  But I know the gun can.

IMO this is the correct way to look at this. not well if you cant outshoot the gun, its worthless.

On 8/5/2020 at 1:42 AM, Phoenix1977 said:

Thank you guys for your comments.

Since i’m from the Netherlands and Les Baer’s are really nowhere to be seen or even sold, I have to buy one in Germany and import it to the Netherlands, I expect it to be a long wait. Long story short; it’s gonna take time and money, so i’ll throw in that extra $300 and buy my dreamgun. Buy once, cry once.

And nothing is more worse;  “Wow...is that a Les Baer?!” ...”yes, it sure is”...”does it have the accuracy guarantee?”......”ehh, no it doesn’t”.....”ow....that’s a pity, because....”

🥺

Well there you go, I think you made the right decision, for you. If it makes you happy and you got the money, do it. If somebody has something I want I buy it price don't mean everything. If I have something that's not for sale,  but somebody really really wants it!  and the price is not a factor they did it. That's the good thing of life.