Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Shooters World Powder 9mm

ezra650

I've read several posts on people using Major Pistol for 9mm major loads and enjoying it. However, I've got a single stack open gun, 2 port comp, and I'm trying to decide which SW powder I should go with. I obviously won't be loading major so I'm looking at slightly faster powders. It's a steel challenge gun.

My goal is to get a powder I can load up and get some gas as I need it for my comp in steel matches and also load down to typical minor velocities with good performance for other guns. Think 1000-1300fps range with a 115gr.

Has anyone tried auto pistol or ultimate pistol?? Experiences, opinions, load data? I was thinking of getting 10lbs of ultimate pistol, but now I'm considering getting 5lb of each or something.

Thanks.

I use Major Pistol under a 115 for major, and under a 124 for minor.  I want the gas to work the comp.  You'll want to stay closer to 1300fps.  If you want to go lower in PF, think a much faster powder like e3 or Sport Pistol.  You won't make the gas, but you'll have minimal recoil.

Most SCSA Open shooters I know stay in the 140-155 PF range with a powder in the WAC speed range.  I originally bought a bunch of 3N38 to use for major.  I can't fit enough in to make major with a 115 and still seat the bullet.  So I'm using it under a 124 for steel.  At 140 PF the muzzle rises a little less than my major load.

6 minutes ago, zzt said:

I use Major Pistol under a 115 for major, and under a 124 for minor.  I want the gas to work the comp.  You'll want to stay closer to 1300fps.  If you want to go lower in PF, think a much faster powder like e3 or Sport Pistol.  You won't make the gas, but you'll have minimal recoil.

Most SCSA Open shooters I know stay in the 140-155 PF range with a powder in the WAC speed range.  I originally bought a bunch of 3N38 to use for major.  I can't fit enough in to make major with a 115 and still seat the bullet.  So I'm using it under a 124 for steel.  At 140 PF the muzzle rises a little less than my major load.

Well that's why I was thinking of getting ultimate pistol. It's a faster powder, but not so fast that I can't play in the upper range. Part of my problem is I have no idea wether or not I will prefer a 140-150pf or a 125-132pf for steel challenge. I guess I need to load some of both with the powder I have on hand and see. I've got Longshot and ramshot comp on hand so that should give me some sort of baseline for both side of the spectrum. My gun will run both with a 7lb spring. 

You mentioned 3n38. You know I thought about getting some 3n37 to try, but the shooters world is available local for a heck of a deal. I still might pick up some VV powder later on. 

52 minutes ago, ezra650 said:

You mentioned 3n38. You know I thought about getting some 3n37 to try, but the shooters world is available local for a heck of a deal. I still might pick up some VV powder later on. 

I wouldn't bother.  VV makes excellent powders, but they are more expensive.  Honestly, even if 3N38 were the same price as SWMP, I'd still use SWMP.

If you want to work the comp you'll want 140-150.  Ramshot Competition is very close in burn rate to e3.  If you can run 115-125 with a 7 lb. spring, I think you will like it.  I'd go lower if your gun will run it.  I run 109 PF in my PCC and it is soft.

Hello: It will depend on the bullet you are using for steel challenge. A 95 grain 380 bullet works well at 140PF and is soft like a 22. Since you only shoot 1 shot on each target the comp doesn't have to work as well as double taps on paper. So using 115 grain bullets at 120PF will work great with any powder your gun will run with. That is what some of the top Open shooters are running. Most run a fast powder for steel challenge in the Clean Shot range or faster. I know where you can get some locally Caleb if you need some Shooters World powder. Thanks, Eric

12 hours ago, zzt said:

I wouldn't bother.  VV makes excellent powders, but they are more expensive.  Honestly, even if 3N38 were the same price as SWMP, I'd still use SWMP.

If you want to work the comp you'll want 140-150.  Ramshot Competition is very close in burn rate to e3.  If you can run 115-125 with a 7 lb. spring, I think you will like it.  I'd go lower if your gun will run it.  I run 109 PF in my PCC and it is soft.

Well that makes things simpler. Thanks for the insight on VV. I've only loaded a couple lbs of N340. I do like the tubular shape over the flakes. Press operates much cleaner. Hopefully when I switch from the dillon measure to the hornady LNL it won't be a concern.

Yep the ramshot should tell me if I like the fast stuff. I'll probably load to 1000fps with a 115 and go up from there. I dont like a sluggish gun and I honestly don't think it will run anything less. In fact I think 1050-1100 will be the minimum to run the gun. If I like the faster powder I'll switch my SW order to clean shot instead. 

11 hours ago, Aircooled6racer said:

Hello: It will depend on the bullet you are using for steel challenge. A 95 grain 380 bullet works well at 140PF and is soft like a 22. Since you only shoot 1 shot on each target the comp doesn't have to work as well as double taps on paper. So using 115 grain bullets at 120PF will work great with any powder your gun will run with. That is what some of the top Open shooters are running. Most run a fast powder for steel challenge in the Clean Shot range or faster. I know where you can get some locally Caleb if you need some Shooters World powder. Thanks, Eric

Yep all true. I considered using 380 bullets, but I didn't want to deal with sourcing and loading them. I'll be using 115gr plated or JHPs. 

If you are talking about Gary that's who I'm already in touch with about the SW powner ;) thanks Eric!