Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Nighthawk Custom 1911 and IDPA

Nasradamus

Hello,

I am about to purchase a Nighthawk Custom 1911.  This will be my first high end 1911.  I am leaning towards the Agent 2 or the President.  I occasionally shoot Carry Optics in IDPA, so I will be getting them optic ready with their IOS system.  I was wondering if both these pistols would be legal in IDPA ESP division.  IDPA states that Carry Optics must be compliant with ESP Division requirements. 

Thank you,

Danny

On 8/1/2020 at 8:21 PM, Nasradamus said:

Hello,

I am about to purchase a Nighthawk Custom 1911.  This will be my first high end 1911.  I am leaning towards the Agent 2 or the President.  I occasionally shoot Carry Optics in IDPA, so I will be getting them optic ready with their IOS system.  I was wondering if both these pistols would be legal in IDPA ESP division.  IDPA states that Carry Optics must be compliant with ESP Division requirements. 

Thank you,

Danny

What is your interpretation of IDPA's ESP rules, as well as the general pistol rules that apply to all divisions, when you compared them to the features of the gun you're interested in?

On 8/1/2020 at 6:21 PM, Nasradamus said:

Hello,

Thank you,

Danny

I'm not super-familiar with Nighthawks (I'm a poor) so my response is based on looking them over on their website. Take with the appropriate amount of salt.

I don't see anything that would prevent you from using either in IDPA ESP/CO. Humorously, IDPA is less strict about machining/porting/lightening 1911's than USPSA's SS division is, so the frame windows are good to go. They both appear to make weight (the limit is under 43 oz with a magazine inserted) and will fit in all other dimensions.

It looks like you'll also be covered in terms of using the iron sight "plate" in ESP rather than the dot:

8.2.2.2.A. Sights may be changed to another notch and post type. Slides may be machined to accept different style sights.

I interpret the bold part to cover the swappable system as the net result is still notch and post. As always, your mileage may vary.