Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

JP GMR-15 Trigger Question

I've been running a GMR-15 for about 6 months, and the only complaint is the stock trigger.  Most of my 1911/2011's have 2 - 2 1/2 lbs triggers.  My SCSA RFPO gun is a Volquartsen Scorpion that also has a 2 1/2 lbs trigger.  My RFRO has a Kidd single stage trigger that less than 1 1/2 lbs.  

I heard from several fellow competitors that the Hiperfire ECL is a great fit for the JP.

I'm looking for feedback from those who have one in a GMR-15.  Any issues?  Did the safety have to be replaced?  Any issues with the firing pin breaking?

Thanks

Typically the JP competition trigger runs 3.5 lbs, and this duty spring (usually a supplied option spring) I believe runs 4 pounds. I have replaced the JP trigger in my GMR 15 with a Trigger Tech Diamond. You can dial those sub 1lb if you want to but I hear guys are runn8ng into issues running that light of a setting. From the Trigger Tech thread some like the some do not. For the most part I have heard they run well. Mine is relatively new and I have not put it through a lot of testing yet. Initial results are great. The Diamond is an AR trigger. Trigger Tech is currently designing a PCC Specific trigger, which I will be interested in when it’s released. The hammer looks different from what I have seen so far. 

The current pull is around 3 3/4 lbs.  I'm having issues with trigger freeze on close targets (5-15 yds.), and it's costing me big time.  On one stage last match, I lost over a second and pulled a C on the last shot trying to overcome the "freeze".  A lot of reading and watching some of Max's videos points at a heavy trigger pull weight as the cause.

10 hours ago, cferree said:

The current pull is around 3 3/4 lbs.  I'm having issues with trigger freeze on close targets (5-15 yds.), and it's costing me big time.  On one stage last match, I lost over a second and pulled a C on the last shot trying to overcome the "freeze".  A lot of reading and watching some of Max's videos points at a heavy trigger pull weight as the cause.

The yellow spring is the 3.5 lb trigger. At least in my JP triggers they are. 

Which JP Trigger are you running, curved, flat, Armageddon?

I’m not sure I agree with that premis the trigger is causing trigger freeze, but who knows, a lot of people have shot way more than I have but I think you can train to operate any trigger. At some point I am sure there are equipment limitations but plenty of people shoot JP triggers super fast. Trigger freeze is what’s going on with your finger not the triggers operation in my eyes. I don’t care for how far back the curve is on the curved JP triggers. The JP triggers I have sit almost all of the way back in the trigger shoe. The trigger operated fine but I found I would occasionally have trigger freeze or not let the trigger reset before trying to pull it again. I don’t blame the trigger weight for this. This was the bio mechanics of my hand, finger and how I griped the rifle operating the trigger.  I run flat triggers on all of my pistols and the position of the flat trigger in comparison to the curved JP trigger is much further forward in the trigger shoe.  I almost never experience trigger freeze with flat triggers in my pistols. I wanted to have my rifle triggers in a similar position.  So I have recently changed to flat Trigger Tech triggers in my PCC nad AR. The flat what they call two stage trigger pull is about 1-1.5 mm of travel and I think the reset travel is about the same. I have limited time on the Trigger Tech triggers in my PCC and AR, but after shooting  a couple of practices with the PPC, AR practice last week and a carbine match this last weekend with zero trigger freeze issues and faster splits I am confident I made the right choice. I think everyone has to figure out what works for their hands/fingers. I’m sure there are people on here that can go into more detail what causes trigger freeze (most of what I have gathered is it’s mostly from over tensing your hand that pulls the trigger).  I loose dexterity in my fingers once I start curling my fingers up towards the back of the trigger shoe. Flat triggers in the correct location of where the trigger breaks and solves this issue for me. I would play with hand tension on your trigger hand before I go messing with triggers or changing them out. If you shoot other guns without trigger freeze I would try to see how your bio mechanics differed between the two guns. Chasing triggers is expensive. It is possible that a lower trigger weight would not correct the issue. 

I have not seen seen a lighter spring than 3.5 lbs for JP triggers. But I have not looked for one either. I think I have seen a video where someone slightly modified a spring to get it lower but I have never tried that. 

Before changing or or modifying triggers do your homework. For instance Tigger techs like AR gold triggers have weak resets. Some people ride the reset when shoot and hate light resets. For this reason they don’t like those triggers. 

All of this is my personal experience and it’s limited at that. Just sharing how I fixed my trigger freeze issues in regards to my GMR 15. 

Edited by Boomstick303

Boomstick, I think you are 100% right about finger position on the trigger. I have always felt the same with ar style rifles. I solved it (for me) by using a different grip. I use the Ergo Tactical Deluxe grip. It is fatter and fills my hand better and the angle feels right also. I can use the pad of my finger without having to contort my whole finger.

I use the factory JP trigger, 3.5 lb,  and it is fine and has a quick reset. But triggers are a very personal preference thing. OP, or anyone, you might try that grip. It's a lot cheaper than a new trigger.

Edited by egd5

TriggerTech are nice, and I have them in all my bolt guns.  Tried a TT Diamond in my JP PCC and couldn't get it to run reliably.   Currently running a CMC which is 3.5 lb single stage, but works 100% and has a very clean crisp break. 

2 hours ago, ltdmstr said:

TriggerTech are nice, and I have them in all my bolt guns.  Tried a TT Diamond in my JP PCC and couldn't get it to run reliably.   Currently running a CMC which is 3.5 lb single stage, but works 100% and has a very clean crisp break. 

Trigger Tech is working on a PCC specific trigger. I am curious if there is any difference besides the hammer design. I have not had any issues with the AR Diamond trigger yet. I am running it just under 2 lbs. 

I was having constant doubles then multi-round bursts with the TT Diamond.  I have a TT Competition, which is fixed 3.5 lb, but haven't tried it yet because I'm pretty happy with the CMC.  My 1911/2011 guns are all light triggers, but I don't find that necessary for a pcc.  Having said that, if/when TT comes out with a pcc trigger, I'll definitely try it out.

Interesting thread - I have the flat faced JP modular trigger - I can't say that I"ve had "trigger freeze" that I didn't cause - mainly because I didn't let it reset properly - is this the same problem you are having?  That doesn't mean the JP trigger can't be reworked - maybe for a shorter reset?  Just for kicks, I just ran out and measured my JP - Average 2lbs, 8oz from 12 pulls.

I had a Timney 2lb (AR, not 9mm) trigger in my other PCC and it would double and triple fire randomly so there must be something to the dedicated PCC trigger.  RSOs don't like that so I changed it to a CMC dedicated 9mm which is really good, probably similar to the JP, maybe a little heavier.  

Keep us posted.  

I have the flat faced jp competition trigger in my gmr.  I can attest the 3.5 pull and the trigger freeze... I've been looking for a solution but its frustrating as the good hair triggers like the elfmann etc are not at all reliable for pcc.  

I think the forceful reset of the trigger that max leograndis talks about is super important but I still think it'd be great to get a hair trigger that offers that in a pcc.

On 8/2/2020 at 9:45 PM, ltdmstr said:

I was having constant doubles then multi-round bursts with the TT Diamond.  I have a TT Competition, which is fixed 3.5 lb, but haven't tried it yet because I'm pretty happy with the CMC.  My 1911/2011 guns are all light triggers, but I don't find that necessary for a pcc.  Having said that, if/when TT comes out with a pcc trigger, I'll definitely try it out.

Is your PCC short stroked?