Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!
Sign in to follow this  
Broncos79

Binoculars vs Spotting Scope LRP Shooting

All - new to Long Range Precision shooting and trying to decide between binoculars vs a spotting Scope - Binos appear more versatile and the spotting scope more specialized- hoping to learn from those who have evaluated this decision already 

appreciate perspectives and pros and cons 

Depending on what you trying to accomplish - a spotting scope on a good solid mount with higher magnification has advantages. 

Binoculars are superior for long range spotting use, but they are incredibly specialized. For instance 15x Swarovski SLC, or Zeiss Conquest. Or 18x Vortex. Occasionally you’ll see two spotting scopes held together in a fixture (Big Eye). All of these methods give less eye fatigue and better depth perception/ visual clarity. All of them are very expensive.

Most people use a spotting scope. I’ve had good luck with Vortex Razors, Leupold Gold Ring and Swarovski.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Posted (edited)

Pretty much all the high power guys use Kowa scopes.  Probably a reason why.  That's what I have and am very happy with it.  If i were to choose something else, I'd go with Nightforce, which is a very nice piece.  Most high quality binocs max at 10x, and to go over that and get good quality glass is very expensive.  I don't really see anyone using binocs at the shoots.  

Edited by ltdmstr

Great points all - sounds like the consensus is to go with a spotting scope - now to research brands, features and cost 

I have a Kowa. With the zoom eye piece at 60X I can see 22cal holes in the black at 300 yards

And again the mount/stand is important. I have looked thru great glass on a mount that wiggles. It takes a lot away from the sight picture watching thru a wobbling scope

Great points all - sounds like the consensus is to go with a spotting scope - now to research brands, features and cost 

Speaking of stand/mounts - any recommendations or models to stay away from?

9 hours ago, Broncos79 said:

Speaking of stand/mounts - any recommendations or models to stay away from?

You get what you pay for.  The best glass in the world will  look like crap if the stand is being blown by wind.

I have a Ray-Vin that works very well.

What position do you plan on using the spotter in?

When it comes to glass there is a difference in those that cost 200 bucks and 3000+, I spend my money first on a high dollar rifle scope first instead of a Swaro spotter or Swaro binos.  if that is covered get a spotter first, I prefer the straight ones over angled models, unless F-Class is your game, then get some 10x Swaro ELR binos, ie Bino/LRF

In High Power I use a Konus 100mm, which is the poor man's spotting scope at about $300.

If High Power was my main game I'd get a Kowa. The 25x long eye relief on a 80mm main tube with Calcium Flouride lenses lets you see so much more detail than a lesser scope with higher magnification. If the detail isn't there already what good does magnifying the haze get you? Seeing .22 holes in the black at 200yards is doable with the Konus but I have to concentrate. They jump out at you in the Kowa and you can actually see them at 300yd.

My binos are 8x because I expect to have to hold them. Maybe I could hold 10x stable enough to get use of it but I wouldn't go higher.

Edited by belus

On 8/2/2020 at 7:50 PM, Chillywig said:

And again the mount/stand is important. I have looked thru great glass on a mount that wiggles. It takes a lot away from the sight picture watching thru a wobbling scope

THIS ^^^

And a good stand isn't cheap, so don't forget to factor one in when setting your budget.