Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

XDm 5.25 9mm striker malfunction

SingingShooter

While I’ve not read each and every topic thread on XDm, I’ve scanned through the zillions of topics here and haven’t seen this particular one addressed...I’m hoping someone out there has had a similar experience and can help:

About my gear: all original (about 7 yrs old) except for a slide mount optic and Dawson extended magazine base pads

The scenario:  After performing a reload (not from lock-back either... dropped mag still has rounds), I pull the trigger and nothing. No click, no light strike, nada!  I rack the slide ejecting a chambered round, and the next shot goes bang with no problem. This doesn’t happen every time, but often enough for me to be concerned.  At first I thought it was because I had too many rounds in the magazine (with Dawson extended pads my 19 round mags can accommodate up to 21 or 22 rounds) so I started offloading the mags to 20 instead of 21, but that hasn’t made a difference and doesn’t seem to be relevant factor given that I have to re-rack the slide.  What’s going on?!?

I think you might have a weak sear spring and the reloads are letting the striker fall. the gun doesn't go off because the striker falls to the trigger safety.  Shoot your gun adn make sure the striker is cocked, then slam a mag home and see if the striker falls.  If it does then your striker is slipping off the sear.  Might be a spring, might be a sear or striker issue.   Springfield will probably fix it for free regardless, if it is OEM.  That is where i would look first.  also make sure noting is keeping the sear from fully resetting.   Good luck

5 hours ago, RJH said:

I think you might have a weak sear spring and the reloads are letting the striker fall. the gun doesn't go off because the striker falls to the trigger safety.  Shoot your gun adn make sure the striker is cocked, then slam a mag home and see if the striker falls.  If it does then your striker is slipping off the sear.  Might be a spring, might be a sear or striker issue.   Springfield will probably fix it for free regardless, if it is OEM.  That is where i would look first.  also make sure noting is keeping the sear from fully resetting.   Good luck

That was a huge help — thank you. On Monday I’ll call Springfield. I sent an email with this exact question and haven’t heard back. Never fails that stuff breaks over the weekend! 

What pound recoil spring are you using? If it is too light or wore out when seating the mag the slide is being bumped back far enough to disengage the trigger. Or as mentioned above both ways are easily checked and will save time off for repair at Springfield. 

Rich

18 minutes ago, RIIID said:

What pound recoil spring are you using? If it is too light or wore out when seating the mag the slide is being bumped back far enough to disengage the trigger. Or as mentioned above both ways are easily checked and will save time off for repair at Springfield. 

Rich

Couldn’t tell you what pound recoil spring...it’s all OEM.

23 minutes ago, SingingShooter said:

So I’ve ordered a 16# Wolff recoil and striker spring. And wouldn’t you know, when tearing it down and removing the striker spring I found this: 

Your  picture didn't show up. I  am curious as to what you found.  Let us know, thanks