Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Shorten screws for frame optic mount

costeel

Apologies if this is answered some where already, my search returned no results.

I picked up a new frame mounted optic mount. The screws are too long and extend through the frame.

What is the best method for trimming small screws and not messing up the threads?

Edited by costeel
Grammar

I've had good luck with a Dremel and cut-off wheel.  I've also just put the screw up against my grinder to get it to the right size.

Better method is to buy a shorter screw from Brownell's.com.  I understand Ace Hardware now has gunsmithing screws so that will help as well.

If possible obtain a nut that threads onto that screw. Run the nut down onto the screw.

Cut with dremel or file it down with a belt sander.

Round the rough edge slightly with a hand file.

Back the nut off the screw, causing it to straighten that last slightly marred thread.

;) 

Drill and tap steel flat stock, I used a old Dillon flat wrench, screw in the screw and cut with a dremel cut off wheel

once you cut the 1st screw the right length, measure it with a calipers and lock the adjustment, use that to measure the rest of the screws when you cut them

I use a vertical belt sander.  Hold the screw up against the belt and turn while sanding.  Works perfectly.  BTW, I would not buy screws from the local hardware store.  You want the best quality, so buy them online from someone like McMaster-Carr.

5 hours ago, MemphisMechanic said:

If possible obtain a nut that threads onto that screw. Run the nut down onto the screw.

Cut with dremel or file it down with a belt sander.

Round the rough edge slightly with a hand file.

Back the nut off the screw, causing it to straighten that last slightly marred thread.

;) 

This:  I like to use 2 nuts tightened against each other at the position where I need to cut,  helps as a guide as well as something to clamp in the vise securely.

8 hours ago, AzShooter said:

I've had good luck with a Dremel and cut-off wheel.  I've also just put the screw up against my grinder to get it to the right size.

Better method is to buy a shorter screw from Brownell's.com.  I understand Ace Hardware now has gunsmithing screws so that will help as well.

Same here. Just zip them off with a dremel

• 4 weeks later...
On 8/1/2020 at 8:14 AM, rishii said:

Drill and tap steel flat stock, I used a old Dillon flat wrench, screw in the screw and cut with a dremel cut off wheel

once you cut the 1st screw the right length, measure it with a calipers and lock the adjustment, use that to measure the rest of the screws when you cut them

This works great.  If you get the thickness right or make up a stack of washers you don't even need to be careful after the first one.  Use a piece of 1/8" to 3/16" steel strip and you can just hold the thing against the grinding wheel or belt until it starts to cut the strip, then stop.  Unscrewing the screw from the strap fixes the threads at the end.

You do need a tap in whatever thread your frame holes are though.