Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Improvement on Stern Defense mag adapter

About to build a competition PCC using a pre-ban lower here in CT.   While I heard good things about the Stern mag adapter, the mag release button sucks and seems incomplete in design, but I don't have a better answer on how to improve. 

Anyone have a point of view on how it can be improved or if there is a better answer than the clunky button in front of trigger finger that must be pressed forward in order to drop the mag. 

https://getstern.com/mag-ad9/

image.thumb.png.d17dbae2e43b818961662077e72eac5f.png

Have you bought the adapter yet? If not check out the PSA adapter. It’s an all aluminum adapter that has the mag release in the front and is shaped like a curved trigger. All the reviews seem to say it works good and is well made.

https://palmettostatearmory.com/psa-custom-9mm-glock-compatible-mag-well-conversion-block.html

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I haven't purchased it yet.   The PSA adapter seems interesting and is a different approach to mag catch.    Anyone else have hands on experience with the PSA adapter ?

I should add that I am a left handed shooter so the Stern seems particularly difficult to actuate for safe / fast mag changes; 

Edited by jrdoran
19 hours ago, Scooter said:

Make yourself a lever that spans to the other side so you can use your trigger finger.

I really like this idea ( I could even weld it to the existing lever ).  I don't have a mag adapter in hand, but my question is how much lateral sideways force on the lever is OK.  Will the mag drop lever still function OK if I have it extended to span to the left side ? 

Hard to explain but you hopefully get the drift that today the level is a direct push back, with the sideways span it will have some lateral force put on ejection lever, dunno if that is an issue or not ?   

23 hours ago, jrdoran said:

I really like this idea ( I could even weld it to the existing lever ).  I don't have a mag adapter in hand, but my question is how much lateral sideways force on the lever is OK.  Will the mag drop lever still function OK if I have it extended to span to the left side ? 

Hard to explain but you hopefully get the drift that today the level is a direct push back, with the sideways span it will have some lateral force put on ejection lever, dunno if that is an issue or not ?   

I don't think it would be an issue since the mag release rides in a slot almost the full length. I'll check with the extra one I have whether it would work out not.

On 8/3/2020 at 10:36 AM, jrdoran said:

Just extend the button higher and get use to it. Instead of press now is push with your trigger finger.

How is PSA conversion better? It required your weak hand to hit the release!

I have a Stern Defense kit on my carbine, you just need to get use to the mag release button.

I wasn’t saying the PSA was better or worse, I was just throwing out other options. I don’t own either as I have a dedicated lower. I didn’t realize you could reach the mag release with your strong hand. I thought both required weak hand to grab mag/use thumb to release mag or grab and pull trigger like on the PSA.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On 7/31/2020 at 10:49 PM, jrdoran said:

About to build a competition PCC using a pre-ban lower here in CT.   While I heard good things about the Stern mag adapter, the mag release button sucks and seems incomplete in design, but I don't have a better answer on how to improve. 

I recently finished building my first PCC AR with a generic lower (which takes a STANAG 556 mags) and the Stern mag adapter. I figured I wanted to dabble in PCC but didn't want to invest too much for just trying out.

Pros:

- Easy to install, easy to remove, easy to clean

- Super reliable, I've even tried the flattest ugliest flat nose I can find and it would still feed

- Mags drop free (tried ETS 40 rounders, Glock 33 rounders, G19 mags, PMAG 19/17/21)

- Last Round Bolt Hold Open

Cons:

- The mag release button location, which to me a non-issue. I just had to practice reloading for the stages that requires mandatory reloads, which are not many to begin with, probably 1 stage per match? Took it to a match and scored 56% on CM 18-09, and I can tell you it wasn't the releasing the mag that slowed me down. 😆

For the rest of the "freestyle" stages, it's really really a non-issue, unless it requires more than 41 rounds, since I don't have a long stick with extensions.

On 8/3/2020 at 7:36 AM, jrdoran said:

So I 3D printed a lever that fits over the Stern's mag release button and spans to the other side as a test. Works fine, no binding.

That looks great.   Interesting, one  could vary thickness to accommodate different trigger finger lengths, etc;    Could you take a pic of the backside on how the lever slips onto the existing tab ? 

Edited by jrdoran
45 minutes ago, jrdoran said:

Could you take a pic of the backside on how the lever slips onto the existing tab ? 

This was just a proof of concept to see if the lever would bind. The lever simply slipped over the top. I wouldn't make it the same way if I was making a lever for myself. 

Though I'm now intrigue to make one to make the gun ambidextrous. My would be different to clear my large magwell.

• 3 months later...

I used one for a while and didn't have any problems with the mag release once I got used to it.  But I like the concept of a larger one like that, anything that makes its quicker and more definite...especially for a lefty shooter.  I'd also like to see a Stern Adapter that works with a CMMG Radial Delayed Blowback upper.

Edited by MoRivera
  • 3 weeks later...
13 hours ago, LowSpeedHighDrag said:

What about using Endomags with the normal mag release?

I already use those (CMMG ones for their RDB system), and they are great, super-reliable.  I'd just like to also use Glock mag options that have even more capacity for certain matches, whereas I'm 'limited' to 30 in the Emdomags.

The 'regular' Endomags I'm still iffy about, with that plastic ejector and bolt hold-open.  I know they had some issues at first, wonder if they've improved.

22 hours ago, MoRivera said:

I already use those (CMMG ones for their RDB system), and they are great, super-reliable.  I'd just like to also use Glock mag options that have even more capacity for certain matches, whereas I'm 'limited' to 30 in the Emdomags.

The 'regular' Endomags I'm still iffy about, with that plastic ejector and bolt hold-open.  I know they had some issues at first, wonder if they've improved.

I haven't had any issues with them, but I don't have a high round count yet.

Ah, forgot one issue - they don't seem to play well with a short stroked PCC.

Edited by LowSpeedHighDrag
12 hours ago, MoRivera said:

I tried the regular Endomags. Used them once and took them all out and threw them in a box. The plastic ejector is the main issue. If it is in the proper position, they ran fine. However putting the mags into mag pouches will bump the ejector out of position. With the bolt closed, the ejector doesn't line up with the groove on the books carrier and then you can't insert the mag. Bolt open, bolt runs into the ejector and jams up.