Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

45/70 BFR Squib

Pnut

This happened today. 

No one was hurt and I didn't crap my pants (I had to check, lol). 

I still can't believe I don't have a single scratch. 

I am posting this here as a reminder to be very careful. 

SmartSelect_20200730-210537_Gallery.thumb.jpg.d9c4a1beccbb90bfa901c15100467f03.jpg

I noticed some weird stuff also, the first 5 rounds all had light strikes the first time, then shot the second time. 6th round also, had a light strike. The 7th was the squib, the 8th blew it up. 

Edited by Pnut

Reloads I am guessing?

And, being a single action, and I assume  relatively slow fire, did you not notice that the bullet didn't make it out of the barrel?

Wow, that looks fun! Like the claw in those games where you try to pull your prize out... Your prize is that you walked away unharmed. 

Edited by IVC

On 7/30/2020 at 9:08 PM, Pnut said:

I noticed some weird stuff also, the first 5 rounds all had light strikes the first time, then shot the second time. 6th round also, had a light strike. The 7th was the squib, the 8th blew it up. 

Light strikes? Primers were not seated all the way. Whats your reloading method?

1 minute ago, Chillywig said:

Light strikes? Primers were not seated all the way. Whats your reloading method?

Single stage. Used a hand primer for each round. LR primers. New Starline brass. 

Back when I shot ICORE with light trigger job revolvers I used a hand prime tool after I loaded the ammo to make sure the primers were set and set hard in the pocket. Also had to use federal to make sure they went bang on the first try

That poor BFR is a mess. Glad your OK 

I don't think my pants would have been after that

I want to test if it was the gun or the primers. So I am taking apart the 25 rounds I loaded for that session and will shoot the primers to burn them off when I get the gun back. 

I did ask MRI to check the light strike issue while they replace the barrel. 

Edited by Pnut