Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Reasonably priced .40 1911s?

On 8/25/2020 at 9:04 AM, Bird_Dog0347 said:

What problem did you solve with the high mag catch? I've got a SVI SS in .40 that runs perfect with Tripp mags and 8 rounds, but when I try to load 9 or 10 (depending on which follower I use in the Tripp 10rd mags) it just nosedives on the feed ramp and won't chamber. I'd really like to get at least 9 in there so I don't have to barney up. Just not sure if I'd need to go up or down on the mag catch?

that is exactly the problem I was having, except it was also sometimes happening with only 8 in the mag (I put 9 rounds in the first mag, but 8 in the others for ss major). it got slightly better the longer I loaded, but the higher mag catch seems to have solved the problem. having the mags break in more and get smoother around the feed lips also seems to be helping. Mine are brand new wilsons. My buddies older wilsons functioned flawlessly in the gun, which is why I bought wilsons in the first place.

1 hour ago, motosapiens said:

Mine are brand new wilsons. My buddies older wilsons functioned flawlessly in the gun, which is why I bought wilsons in the first place.

I shoot a .40 Trojan in SS Major and also use Wilson magazines without issue. I think most of my magazines are an older generation because the follower has a nub like USGI magazines. Only one has a smooth follower like their current pictures, but that lack of nub makes it much easier to fit 9 in the tube.