Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Reasonably priced .40 1911s?

It looks like these are dropping like flies from the common manufacturers.  Springfield doesnt have any, the Sig Max is discontinued and not really showing up on Gunbroker, and Dan Wesson also has dropped the .40 full size to my knowledge.  What manufacturers have offerings out there in the 1000 range if anything at all is still being produced?  

It looks like these are dropping like flies from the common manufacturers.  Springfield doesnt have any, the Sig Max is discontinued and not really showing up on Gunbroker, and Dan Wesson also has dropped the .40 full size to my knowledge.  What manufacturers have offerings out there in the 1000 range if anything at all is still being produced?  
Sig match target elite

https://www.academy.com/shop/pdp/sig-sauer-1911-traditional-match-elite-40-s-w-pistol

Sig Max Michel 40

Rock island
https://www.armscor.com/firearms/ria/rock-series/rock-ultra-fs-40-sw/

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

I was looking for a couple of 1911 .40s a few years back. I ended up with a Sig Stainless Match Elite (new) and an STI Sentry (used but excellent condition). I’ve not looked in a few years but I’d be surprised if any major manufacturer is making any .40s now. When I was looking, Matt Cheely was making some .custom 40s but I’m not sure he still is.

Thanks for the replies.  There no academy's in VA unfortunately and none with any in stock near my relatives where I could go in and see if they could ship out of state to an ffl.  I guess ill keep my eye on the various for sale forums and see what pops up.  Im in no rush.

Rich

is it as simple as a drop in barrel or would there be breech face issues?  What about the 40 magazine in that larger frame?  Any issues with the shorter bullet length?  

31 minutes ago, Guy Neill said:

40 and 10mm have identical breech face.

40 magazines, if different at all, would have an internal spacer for the shorter cartridge length.

seems like many people use 10mm mags anyway, and load long like for limited guns. I know I do. 

I also had been keeping my eyes open for a 40, mostly so i could use my limited ammo and not have to switch a press over to 45 when I wanted to shoot SS. Buddy of mine came over to the house and brought a gun in rather than leave it in his car. Turned out to be a NIB trojan 40 he wanted to sell. So I bought it. so far it's taken $35 in parts to make it run well (dawson high mag catch).

Such a shame about the .40 losing status. Maybe like me some shooters will see that shooting an unpopular caliber where reloading stuff is available (while the 9 is not) is better than not shooting at all. I must have 4k loaded and components to make a whole LOT more.  I shelved all of my 9's for the foreseeable future and won't look to 9's for a while.

Anyway, the Rem R1 is still available and about $1k, and modding a 10mm to .40 is pretty straightforward as is a 9mm frame with a .40 upper with minimal issues to deal with. 

Also, I KNOW the lure of a 1911, but why limit to 1911? Tanfoglio (from EAA and IFG but IFG has a small frame version EAA does not) is still very much in the .40 camp and withis $1k budget.  

I have a like new Kimber Custom II in 10mm. All you would need to get is a 40 s&w barrel. I’ve been meaning to sell it, but thinking about selling a gun and actually getting around to it aren’t the same thing :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think the Rock Island is the only factory .40 currently in regular production, but Remingtons and some SIGs may still be around.

Fitting a .40 barrel to a 10mm or getting a custom or semi-custom like the DW is another option.  For match use, you may not be happy with a drop-in .40 barrel..

Some of the 9mm 1911s use a .40/10mm breech face.  I have a 2016 manufactured Kimber 9mm that has a .40 breech face, purchased a .40 barrel and can shoot both through it. I have read the Para Ord/USA 9mm models also use a .40 breech face but have never measured one to see if true.

Do the kimbers have wilson/nowlin barrel ramps?

Down here people buy 9mm and 38 super STI's, have the barrels reamed out and the breachface modified to 40 cal size so we can shoot 357 sig. Easy enough to do but would probably cost more with a 40 barrel than buying something in 40 to begin with. 

Thanks all.  I think the DW SSC is about the top of my range so maybe the best option or the 10mm TRP with a new barrel.  I saw Atlas has a nice 40 single stack but for that amount I can buy the SSC, a bunch of mags and an xl750.

Edited by 18111811

1 hour ago, 18111811 said:

Thanks all.  I think the DW SSC is about the top of my range so maybe the best option or the 10mm TRP with a new barrel.  I saw Atlas has a nice 40 single stack but for that amount I can buy the SSC, a bunch of mags and an xl750.

I was looking for another Trojan in 9mm and stumbled across this one in .40, looks like it was well loved, but a lot of life left I'd bet:   [link removed per Forum Guidelines - Sorry]

The Trojan's I've had over the years were/are on par with the DW's, better than most if not all of the others in the around or a bit over $1000 range IMO.

Edited by ima45dv8
Link to off-site auction removed

12 hours ago, ck1 said:

Sorry, meant no harm, no affiliation, just stumbled upon a cool find the OP might dig... 

No worries. We get that you were being helpful.

It`s just is something we decided against long ago after some problems it caused.

You could send it in a PM.  ;)

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/31/2020 at 3:32 PM, motosapiens said:

seems like many people use 10mm mags anyway, and load long like for limited guns. I know I do. 

I also had been keeping my eyes open for a 40, mostly so i could use my limited ammo and not have to switch a press over to 45 when I wanted to shoot SS. Buddy of mine came over to the house and brought a gun in rather than leave it in his car. Turned out to be a NIB trojan 40 he wanted to sell. So I bought it. so far it's taken $35 in parts to make it run well (dawson high mag catch).

What problem did you solve with the high mag catch? I've got a SVI SS in .40 that runs perfect with Tripp mags and 8 rounds, but when I try to load 9 or 10 (depending on which follower I use in the Tripp 10rd mags) it just nosedives on the feed ramp and won't chamber. I'd really like to get at least 9 in there so I don't have to barney up. Just not sure if I'd need to go up or down on the mag catch?

On 8/25/2020 at 11:04 AM, Bird_Dog0347 said:

What problem did you solve with the high mag catch? I've got a SVI SS in .40 that runs perfect with Tripp mags and 8 rounds, but when I try to load 9 or 10 (depending on which follower I use in the Tripp 10rd mags) it just nosedives on the feed ramp and won't chamber. I'd really like to get at least 9 in there so I don't have to barney up. Just not sure if I'd need to go up or down on the mag catch?

There may be two issues here.  First, Tripp mags are set up for GI mag catch height.  There are manufacturing tolerances, so the weight of the extra cartridges may be pulling the mag down just far enough to cause problems.  You have +.010" and +.020" higher mag catch shelf heights available, if that is your problem.

Second, Tripp 10-round 40 mags are finicky to start with.  If they are new it may be mag spring tension that is the problem.  I've owned several brands of high capacity mags in various calibers that initially caused nose dives on the first two rounds.  Leaving them fully loaded for a couple of weeks let the springs take a set.  That cured the problem in every case except one.