Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

627 and push type loader

Makicjf

I've been using the speed beez push loader for 38 special and steel challenge.  I'm loading strong hand and supporting the cylinder with my weak hand as I click the rounds into the cylinder.  The use of 38 special allows me to segregate PF, not have to de-moon to clean and preserve the 38 Shorts.  I've found the roll crimp I  use for the 38 SCto be fantastic for ES and reloads, but the case moths tend to crack after 7-10 reloads. I managed to V notch my crane on my 627 pro using moon clips 2 days before the 2018 IRC.  I don't want to repeat the lead spitting, cylinder not opening, pattern shooting fiasco that occurred when I hodge podged the crane from my 610 into service as an expediency.     

In ya'lls experience,  if I keep the yoke screw tight and support the cylinder in low stress ,low speed reloads, can I avert the cylinder flying V?   Would I just be safer to use moon clips despite the perceived advantage of  38 special for steel challenge?   

Tangentially, where could I locate a full length  yoke screw to sidestep the whole issue?

Jason

Edited by Makicjf

11 minutes ago, Makicjf said:

Tangentially, where could I locate a full length  yoke screw to sidestep the whole issue?

For a 929 I pulled the plunger and spring out of the yoke screw & installed a piece of drill bit, cut to length and pointed to approximate the plunger tip shape. 

For what it is worth, best I can tell is that on some guns the yoke V is better centered relative to the yoke screw than on others. If your gun is fitted a bit flakey (like mine) the plunger may just be contacting a minimal portion of the V and more susceptible to damage than another gun. 

Jason, if the ES that you are refering to is IDPA I don't have a clue as to their rules are , but I use my 38 spcl. brass for my use in steel challenge or when not having to reload on the clock. I am using the inexpensive, .20 thick moonclips and don't worry about sorting the brass for headstamp.. It really doesn't really matter if there is some wobble since I not in a hurry to reload.. Doing this it allows me to have my SC loads and not put extra wear on my short colts and good moonclips.

54 minutes ago, mchapman said:

Jason, if the ES that you are refering to is IDPA I don't have a clue as to their rules are , but I use my 38 spcl. brass for my use in steel challenge or when not having to reload on the clock. I am using the inexpensive, .20 thick moonclips and don't worry about sorting the brass for headstamp.. It really doesn't really matter if there is some wobble since I not in a hurry to reload.. Doing this it allows me to have my SC loads and not put extra wear on my short colts and good moonclips.

ES = Extreme Spread the difference between the fastest and slowest rounds in a tested sample

Thanks guys!

99% percent of my 38 special brass is Federal and Remington.  They fit the .025 Revolver Supply clips perfectly.  I'll either fit a full length yoke screw or pick up another 50 clips.  

The Extreme Spread (ES) in *--  38 Shorts and the Brazos Bullet 158 (159.7 =/-) dropped to less than 20 when I loaded to 1.20 and firmly roll crimped into the lube ( this is a coated bullet) groove.  The groups shrunk as well.  I had less accuracy less velocity per grain of powder and a much larger ES when I tried taper crimping at 1.185. I'm assuming better case tension allows for more pressure before release: this, and being a bit closer to the throat is why I think the load is more consistent and accurate.  The roll crimp also expedites reloads by eliminating the case mouth.  I get identical results with the same bullet and same charge of Bullseye in 38 special cases trimmed to .898 and roll crimped into the upper or actual crimp groove. This creates an OAL of 1.210.  Given the fact I have 4k of Fed and RP 38 special brass,  I intend to over time replace the short colt cases with the trimmed specials.

At low velocities, how different should (would) point of impact be between a 158 at 725 and a 125 at 850?  I'm toying with the idea of smaller pellets for Steel Challenge, but don't want extreme disparate zeros by bullet.  

Jason

I shoot a 929 primarily but I also shoot a 686 Plus for practice and sometimes in a club match. (686 I shoot 38 Special brass cut to .900)

Both guns shoot .3575 coated bullets (because that's what my bullet guy's swager is) and I shoot the same powder charge whether I am shooting 96 gr, 105 gr (Bayou) 125 gr, 135 gr, 147 gr or his 155 gr. The POI doesn't change much at all. I hardly notice much difference at 50 yd and no difference at 35 yd. I shoot whichever I have most of in practice except for "important" SC matches.

Hope the info helps.

Mine will shoot about any brand of bullet as long ass it is .357 or .358.

It is awful with .355 or .356!

The accuracy doesn't fluctuate much at SC distances.

I was just out emptying moon clips on Pendulum with 96, 125 and a mix of 130/147 and 155.

Gun shot fine.

Pendulum still ain't my stage!

11 minutes ago, Dr. Phil said:

I was just out emptying moon clips on Pendulum with 96, 125 and a mix of 130/147 and 155.

Gun shot fine.

I have forgotten how to shoot Speed Option...;0

Jason

I actually like Speed Option.

I really don't care for Pendulum. I think it's the toughest of them all.

I also don't care for Smoke and Hope. I feel like it's point and shoot. All that practice and go point and shoot.

Yuk.

But the guns will do what we tell them!

18 hours ago, Dr. Phil said:

Gun shot fine.

Pendulum is Nobodies stage!

I actually heard KC say that he would love an SC match with 8 stages of Pendulum!

Yikes!

What's wrong with that guy?

Of course I think he is (or was) world record holder at least for a while.