Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

How anal is too anal...

unisonicz

wow, I should have came up with something different for the title... anyways. My charge weights fluctuate plus or minus .05gn. I am loading 38$c, 125gn blues, 10.4gn AA#7 is what I am aiming for. 1.225 OAL.

Edited by unisonicz

+/- 0.05 is nothing to be concerned over.  That could be a variety of factors from the AC blowing on the scale to electronics that are too close to the scale, to out of calibration, to something stuck on the platen.  That's not enough variation to make a difference.  Shoot away!

0.05gn is traditional, that is why measures have traditionally measure in 0.1gn increments. a reading of 6.4gn is really somewhere between 6.35_ to 6.44_ gn, which is your +/- 0.05gn.

Now, for pistols that shoot groups measured in multiple inches at 25 yards (and, generally, in multiple inches at distances of less than 15 yards), the exact powder weight is of no significance as long as it is safe. The bullet hasn't even properly stabilized yet, and any external ballistic calculator will show you that changes of 100 fps mean NOTHING at POI at 25 yards or less—they are all on almost EXACTLY the same upward arc.

So, Is your anal weight control ACTUALLY doing you any good? No. Could be important if you were shooting 100+ yds with a 0.5 MOA gun

your actual charge weight may not even be that much of a variation.  Just the accuracy of the scale. You are lo0ading powder by volume not weight. (assumption) using the  scale to adjust a volume powdermeasure. Once its set its set. Id use a chrono and SD results at that point.  Once my stuff is set its set and I load.  If I come back to that load later I will rechrono the new batch..  

7 hours ago, unisonicz said:

wow, I should have came up with something different for the title... anyways. My charge weights fluctuate plus or minus .05gn. I am loading 38$c, 125gn blues, 10.4gn AA#7 is what I am aiming for. 1.225 OAL.

Are you weighing one charge at a time or ten?

I am just working up a ladder with #7, which I have never used before.. I have been using up the last bit of 7625 I have. Started at 10gn and working up to 10.4gn. Most everything I have been looking at is guys are using 10.4 with 3 poppel holes and 2 port comp. Figured 10gn would be a good starting point. I am using a lee pro 1000 eith a lee auto drum. #7 is so fine that it is leaking like a siv out of the auto drum which I am reading is common. 

Just wanted to check with more experienced loaders about the variances. I will be running them all through the chrono here in the next day or so.

Thanks for the feed back everyone.

13 hours ago, unisonicz said:

wow, I should have came up with something different for the title... anyways. My charge weights fluctuate plus or minus .05gn.

.05gn is 5/100ths of a grain.  Are you sure you didn't post a typo?

5 hours ago, unisonicz said:

I am just working up a ladder with #7, which I have never used before.. I have been using up the last bit of 7625 I have. Started at 10gn and working up to 10.4gn. Most everything I have been looking at is guys are using 10.4 with 3 poppel holes and 2 port comp. Figured 10gn would be a good starting point. I am using a lee pro 1000 eith a lee auto drum. #7 is so fine that it is leaking like a siv out of the auto drum which I am reading is common. 

Just wanted to check with more experienced loaders about the variances. I will be running them all through the chrono here in the next day or so.

Thanks for the feed back everyone.

Id actually start at 9.4 grains. I have 3 popples and 3 port comp and 10.4 was putting me at 180 pf

The gun was incredible flat but it was very explosive. 

Start at like 9.4 and work up .2 grains till about 10.4 

You will know you hit the sweet spot when you see very little dot movement 

Also take your load and fire it at a white piece of paper from 2 inches away. You will see if the proper amount of gas is being expelled from the comp by the splash pattern you see. If the ring is really splashy and fuzzy looking you will want to scale down a little in the powder because it means all the gas is being dispersed and then some. Once the ring gets nice and clear you know that all the gas you are pumping in is working and also functioning the comp correctly.

11 hours ago, AverageJoeShooting said:

you should load a bit longer 1.230-.1235 gives you more space in the case and also lets the bullet hit the feed ramp before going in.  makes feeding more reliable. 

i use 9.6 grains of aa7 in 38sc loaded to 1.233 with blues and im right at 170 pf

I will play with the OAL a bit. It feeds and shoots very reliable at 1.225.

Edited by unisonicz

@AverageJoeShooting went to the range last night. 125gn rn blue, 1.225 oal- average of 10 shots through chrono.

9.4gn - 168.6pf

9.6gn - 171.6

9.8gn - 173.8

9.8 felt a little snappy and little bit of dancing dot but 9.6 felt pretty good and dot looked good. Paper test was okay, they all pretty much looked the same so unsure on that part. Appreciate your input on a starting point. 10.4 would have been violent. Going to pull some bullets now lol.

2 hours ago, unisonicz said:

@AverageJoeShooting went to the range last night. 125gn rn blue, 1.225 oal- average of 10 shots through chrono.

9.4gn - 168.6pf

9.6gn - 171.6

9.8gn - 173.8

9.8 felt a little snappy and little bit of dancing dot but 9.6 felt pretty good and dot looked good. Paper test was okay, they all pretty much looked the same so unsure on that part. Appreciate your input on a starting point. 10.4 would have been violent. Going to pull some bullets now lol.

Yea absolutely. I'm at 9.6 and it feels perfect to me. For the paper test what you are looking for is just as clear of a ring as you can get. All that means is the the comp is effectively putting to use all the gas you are pumping into it. If you had a ton of splash it would mean you have more gas than you need, which could be an indicator that you should scale down..unless it feels comfortable to you and has low dot movement