Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Walther Q5 match steel frame?

OnnaBugeisha

I was looking at buying a CZ Shadow 2.  Loved how it shot but wasn’t sure how I felt about a DA/SA, and manual safety. Maybe down the road I’ll feel more confident switching platforms but for now, striker fired, no external safety is where I’m at.  So I’ve been lusting after the Q5 steel frame but haven’t had the opportunity to shoot one. Everything else I shoot is poly frame, striker fired semi-autos of various makes and calibers. How does the felt recoil of the SF compare with the felt recoil of, for example, a G34?  How does it compare with the Shadow 2?

The Q5 SF will have less noticeable muzzle rise compared to G34 or any other poly frame style pistol. The Q5SF compared to a S2, or Tangfolio Stock 2-3, or even a Sig P320 Legion all have pretty much the same muzzle rise. From my experience shooting all these guns they all have a slightly different recoil impulse and I believe that can attributed to the grip, bore axis, and ergonomics of each pistol. Basically the heavier guns are going to soak up more of the recoil and your sights are not going to lift as high when compared to a polymer gun. There are pros and cons to all of them, but they are all great guns. I hope this info helps. 

I have CZ's, Beretta's, M&P's, and Q5 Match SF. They all have their own qualities, but I prefer the Q5 SF. The CZ might be hard for you to rack the slide because the slide is short and narrow because it sits inside the frame. The Q5 SF slide has lightening cuts in it and sits taller and wider around the frame, so it will be easier to rack the slide. The CZ and Beretta have the double action first pull single action there after, and safeties that you'll have to get used to.  Where as the Q5 SF will have a constant trigger pull. The Q5 SF seems to be the most accurate for me. 

I have had all of the CZ’s. Shadow 1 and 2. They shoot great, but for me, my trigger finger touches my support hand while shooting, I never cared for it. I picked up a Q5 SF on a whim, and loved it. Added a sprinco trigger kit, it just works for me. It’s a very accurate gun, easily shooting an inch and a half @25, with syntech 124’s. I liked it so much, I sold my Shadows, and bought another Q5 SF. It is now my production and carry optics pistol of choice. 

• 3 weeks later...

So.....To follow up, I bought the Q5 Pro SF.  100 rounds through it to get the rear sight adjusted and I’m totally in love.  It is one sexy hunk of metal and shoots like a dream.  The grip is a little bit thick for me so I ordered the thin Lok Grips. Now I need to stock up on mags.  And thank god I bought ammo before it all disappeared - would be SO SAD if I couldn’t actually shoot it!

On 8/3/2020 at 7:03 AM, Apexer said:

I have had all of the CZ’s. Shadow 1 and 2. They shoot great, but for me, my trigger finger touches my support hand while shooting, I never cared for it. I picked up a Q5 SF on a whim, and loved it. Added a sprinco trigger kit, it just works for me. It’s a very accurate gun, easily shooting an inch and a half @25, with syntech 124’s. I liked it so much, I sold my Shadows, and bought another Q5 SF. It is now my production and carry optics pistol of choice. 

How do you like the sprinco trigger kit?   I have a non steel frame match and wondered if it would work with it?

I like the kit, but I also did a lot of work at one sitting to the trigger. I drilled and taped the sear housing, polished all the contact surfaces, and added the spring kit. The combination of all the above made it very nice, 3 pounds or so, and still a decently forceful reset. 

• 4 weeks later...
On 8/3/2020 at 8:03 AM, Apexer said:

Hey Apexer, what did you think of the recoil impulse between your CZ Shadows and the Q5 SF?

I felt like they were about the same. And because of that, coupled with no double action, or trigger return springs to worry about, and the grip fits my hands better, I went all in on the Walther.

23 minutes ago, OnnaBugeisha said:

@Apexer and @stock (and anybody else who shoots CO with a Q5 SF): which dot did you pick and do you like it?  Thanks!

I have been shooting it since right after it came out, so 2 full seasons. I’ve tried a number of dots and here’s my assessment. 

Holosun 507C: good optic, window size fairly small. I found the circle dot reticle a little distracting so ended up running it on dot only, and I prefer bigger dot size so ended up moving away from it. Reliability and durability was flawless. 

DPP: reliability nightmare. Glass super clear and decent size. Not a fan of the controls. I hear they’ve made some design updates to fix some of the issues but I could never trust one again. 

SRO: I never had any reliability issues, definitely a top 2 optic right now. Glass has a bit of a tint to it, not as bad as the RMR but noticeable vs. say the DPP. Glass also gives a bit of distortion. Dot is reasonably crisp on the 5moa model, less satisfied with it on the 2.5. Some ghosting of the dot shooting into the sun. Anecdotally I’m starting to hear of and see on friends’ guns some reliability issues at higher round counts, but I think the amount of use vs. repair frequency is acceptable. 

Romeo 3 Max (on Springer plate for the Walther). This is my current optic and I have no plans to change. Biggest window size, glass is 2nd clearest after the DPP. Controls are straightforward, dot is crisp and has the best brightness range of the bunch for sunny days. No dot ghosting. Battery life has been good too. Durability has been solid, had a few drops without issues. Sits a little high as its base is pretty thick but I think it’s a winner. Ive got it on all 3 guns. 

I went with the SRO . Haven't had any issues at all . Still running the original battery after a full season of matches every weekend.  I turn it on in the morning and shut it down when I bag it . I did check out a buddy's XL and that is a nice option but as of now I'm happy with the SRO 

I own the Shadow 2 and Q5 SF Pro, I've shot the G34 but not many rounds.  I feel like my S2 has a little better recoil feel than the Q5 due to the lower bore axis - it pushes straight back vs. a flip.  Either one is insignificant in my opinion, especially with softer ammo.  The Glock is not in the same league with either of these, a function of mass of the plastic vs. steel.  I've left the stock grips on my Q5 but several friends have changed them to Loks and they say this makes it even more controlable.  

Good luck.