Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

RL1100 with a bullet feeder?

3 minutes ago, Dirty_J said:

Did you just take a bunch of Adderall? 😝

Its not purely a “cost of destroyed primers” equation.

Time is also money and the 1100 will simply crank out more ammo than a similarly equipped 650/750. 

With two young kids to chase around the house, the 20% reduction in loading time is invaluable to me at this point in life. Even for “double” price. (Even though it’s really more like $700 more). 

No doubt! I'd still go for the best press you can get your hands on!

But I have to disagree that an 1100 will necessarily crank out that much more ammo than a similarly equipped 650/750, especially if both are equipped with MBF's, a finished round happens as fast as you can pull the handle with either one of them.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

It comes down to a matter of force I’d say. The forward priming stroke soaks up energy. 

That’s based on Dillon’s quoted numbers... and I’m inclined to believe them. 

Sounds like a live streamed race between a comparably equipped 750 and an 1100 is in order!

2 minutes ago, Dirty_J said:

It comes down to a matter of force I’d say. The forward priming stroke soaks up energy. 

That’s based on Dillon’s quoted numbers... and I’m inclined to believe them. 

Sounds like a live streamed race between a comparably equipped 750 and an 1100 is in order!

Hahaha that's funny!

Except someone would want to include a Mark7... with 10 stations, meaning: separate decap and size, swage, separate expand and powder, powder check, an MBF, seat, then crimp... that'd be faster than either lol.

10 hours ago, Dirty_J said:

Did you just take a bunch of Adderall? 😝

Lmao, I was just thinking the same thing.

Don't get it twisted you still run into occasional smashed primers with the 1050.  I would surmise it is much less than the 650/750 but it still happens.  Even when the primer is removed and the casing has been swagged.  This does become more rare after you get a feel of when something goes wrong with the decapping and/or swagging process.  You really do get a feel for when the is an issue at the bottom of the down stroke on the 1050 and I imagine it would be the same with the 1100.  Note if it feels spongy at the bottom to check both the decapping station and the swagging station casings for issues.  

For this very reason when I go to automate next year I will be processing 9mm brass before reloading.  Currently I wet tumble my 9mm, dry the casings in the in a dehydrator setup, lube then load with the old primers in place.  My rejection rate averages out to about 1-2 per 1000 rounds.  That rate is high enough where I think automating a system with this many rounds does not make sense.  I have only been reloading for about 6 months and I think my system is pretty smooth, but I do hate hicups in the process due to priming issues, which with exception of missing that pesky 380 auto cartridge in my prepped brass, is just about the only issues I run into when reloading on the 1050.  

One thing is for certain.  I think all of us can agree thank god we can reload our own.  I know its hard to find primers, but If you are diligent you can find them.  I have found a few local places, and I just make it a point to stop into those places every day on the way home from work.  Lucky for me they do not limit the number of boxes.  I also order from local shops on line and pickup local.  Helps with hazmat fees, and I have been getting primers for about 2.6 cents a primer.

Well, I hope I don't smash as many primers as with the 750, I went ahead and ordered an 1100 against some of my own logic lol. I already have the MBF, so the rig should be pretty sweet once it shows up...

I plan on running manual, and have no real plans to automate because honestly the 750+MBF was cranking out plenty of rounds for me, and I'm kind of sure the 1100+MBF will be even better. If I change my mind and decide to move to automation down the road, I've already made up my mind that that'll mean getting a Mark7, they're purpose-built for automation and just seem better built and engineered to me for that.

I just decided I think the 1100 will work better in in my case for the long run since I think priming by feel on the upstroke kind of sucks and would rather be able to control primer seating depth mechanically for consistency reasons. Plus, I want to stick to one-pass loading using range pickup brass, so the swage station is something that will come in handy over time. I know a lot of guys don't mind doing it, but I'd like to avoid having to pre-process brass if I can for now. 

Edited by ck1

37 minutes ago, George16 said:

How many weeks until you receive the 1100? I hope it’s less than a month.

Hahaha.... the Dillon guy didn't even really say lol, said "it could be a while, hopefully not too long..." 😝 I ordered "No caliber - Small Priming System" on your tip, hopefully that helps a bit!

On 7/30/2020 at 5:25 PM, ck1 said:

...I think the same logic that justifies guys moving up from a 650/750 to a 1050/1100, spend more to get more, works even better once you look at the Mark7 Evolution vs the RL1100... especially when you factor in possibly automating down the road. The Rl1100's look like great presses for sure and I wish I had one instead of my 750, but I don't think I can buy an RL1100 when an Evo is only about $800 more using the same logic. JMHO.

That logic will lead you down the rabbit hole...

So the 1100 is not that much more than the 750 so just buy the 1100.

So the Evo is not that much more than the 1100 so just buy the Evo.

Then you are going to want to automate it eventually so just buy the Revo to start with.

And changing from small primers to large is no fun so just buy two Revo's, one for large, one for small.

😀

6 minutes ago, ddc said:

Then you are going to want to automate it eventually so just buy the Revo to start with.

And changing from small primers to large is no fun so just buy two Revo's, one for large, one for small.

😀

Right...

the $1200 press is great... but the $2000

press does this... but you might want that... so get the $4000 press... but yeah... changing primer size is a PITA... so just get two of them. 

2nd mortgage on the house and still searching for the perfect machine. 😂

38 minutes ago, ddc said:

😀

29 minutes ago, Dirty_J said:

Right...

the $1200 press is great... but the $2000

press does this... but you might want that... so get the $4000 press... but yeah... changing primer size is a PITA... so just get two of them. 

2nd mortgage on the house and still searching for the perfect machine. 😂

LOL! Scope creep is real hahaha!

Honestly, what I said before about cost vs benefit still holds true, the 750 w/case feeder + MBF is pretty awesome; but while it's hard to put a price on annoying, apparently for me the price of annoying is $1000. Regardless of cost, the upstroke-priming and crimped brass was killing me, so I figured WTH! 😉 I decided to trade-up to the 1100 because if I didn't, I'd end up getting the Evo, than I'd have to automate it, then etc... lol!

5 hours ago, ck1 said:

Hahaha.... the Dillon guy didn't even really say lol, said "it could be a while, hopefully not too long..." 😝 I ordered "No caliber - Small Priming System" on your tip, hopefully that helps a bit!

Not sure if the “No caliber-small priming system” is the same as the “specific caliber conversion without dies” I ordered mine with. That’s a new terminology for me since ordering mine.

14 hours ago, ck1 said:

LOL! Scope creep is real hahaha!

Honestly, what I said before about cost vs benefit still holds true, the 750 w/case feeder + MBF is pretty awesome; but while it's hard to put a price on annoying, apparently for me the price of annoying is $1000. Regardless of cost, the upstroke-priming and crimped brass was killing me, so I figured WTH! 😉 I decided to trade-up to the 1100 because if I didn't, I'd end up getting the Evo, than I'd have to automate it, then etc... lol!

I think you are right that the most bang for the buck would be the 750/casefeeder/mbf combination.

But after having experienced both the 650 and the 1100 I have to say that I am more than happy to have moved to the 1100.

Of course the fact that I have an Ammobot on it colors my perceptions for sure. 

On 7/29/2020 at 9:17 PM, HOGRIDER said:

D_J:

As a new RL1100 owner, I'll chime in with my findings............

After many, many, years of loading on the XL650 platform for competition and now recreational shooting, I made the jump to the RL1100 platform.  I had read so many posts here on the forum about the merits of the S1050.  Just about the time I was ready to order, the RL1100 is gaining all the spotlight and coming with an additional 1 year warranty for the SAME MONEY!

My biggest disappointment was I went through 14 WEEKS of aggravation waiting on an order that was supposed to arrive in 6-8 weeks.  It was supposedly due to Covid-19; but was still a stressful time!  And calling/talking to the reps at Dillon Precision just added fuel to the fire!  So, if you decide to make the jump just be prepared for a substantial wait.  Hold onto the 750 until your RL1100 arrives at your doorstep if you don't want your reloading process to be interrupted.

Just today, I loaded my first 100 rounds with the RL1100 optimized (to my standards) plus I have just added the Mr. BulletFeeder along with the Pro Series Dropper.  Let me just say that I was so impressed with how well the press and MBF functioned that I just stood back and said: "why did I wait so long to do this!"  Yes, it's that good!  However, I have loaded several hundred rounds without the MBF; and IMO, once you get the RL1100 set up to your standards, it's still an absolute joy to load on compared to the XL650/750 platform.  And, I AM NOT putting down the 650/750 platform in any way; it's just I now like knowing that I have additional Stations that IMO improve the quality of ammo being produced plus I absolutely love the 1050/1100 priming process!

I still don't have my camera system set up for monitoring the powder level, but today I knocked out 100 rounds in about 15 minutes using the MBF; and I was still stopping a few times to weigh the powder drop!

Not the first rejected round; and the finished rounds were excellent in OALs, etc.

Yea, the finished bullet bin is always in the way; but you just learn to work around it.  Visibility is not restricted in any way IMO!

Bottom line is I definitely recommend making the jump to the RL1100; and later on you can add the MBF which just offers the icing on the cake! 

👍😁

I agree with the above, definitely go with the RL~  and don't look back, you can get the MBF later on or buy one from Karl Bibb on Facebook which is a 3D printed one and works well~ 

20 hours ago, chgofirefighter said:

I agree with the above, definitely go with the RL~  and don't look back, you can get the MBF later on or buy one from Karl Bibb on Facebook which is a 3D printed one and works well~ 

Rob:

I mounted the MBF on a pipe platform with Rick's delrin mount.  After installing the new motor/gearbox assembly, the Pro Dropper Assembly, and the correct Collator Nose Guide Spacer, I was AMAZED at how easily the RL1100 operated with my only input of pulling the handle and paying attention to the powder measure assembly operation!!!!!

Since this is my first foray into the 1050/1100 platform, I've got a gut feeling that I need to set up some sort of camera system to monitor my powder drops.  Many experienced loaders will probably chime in and say it's not necessary; but my better judgement says to monitor it until I've had several thousand, problem free reloads that only require my attention to keep the powder hopper full of N320!

Is this a fair assessment?

;)🤔:cheers:

Since this is my first foray into the 1050/1100 platform, I've got a gut feeling that I need to set up some sort of camera system to monitor my powder drops.  Many experienced loaders will probably chime in and say it's not necessary; but my better judgement says to monitor it until I've had several thousand, problem free reloads that only require my attention to keep the powder hopper full of N320!

Is this a fair assessment?

[emoji6][emoji848]:cheers:

Just this week I grabbed a $50 endoscope on amazon to monitor powder drops. This is after >100k rounds loaded in the last 5 years. Should have done this much earlier.

10 hours ago, TeedOff said:

Just this week I grabbed a $50 endoscope on amazon to monitor powder drops. This is after >100k rounds loaded in the last 5 years. Should have done this much earlier.

Teed:

I definitely understand your position and appreciate your honest feedback!

Since I've never purchased an Endoscope, I'm wondering if the "semi rigid" cable is strong enough to support the camera being placed near the shell plate for a solid, non-shaking, view during operation?

I've had my eye on this one:  

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07QV83RSS/?coliid=IOA9DR8P09GA6&colid=1MM0GJ6KCYV6I&psc=1&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

Right now I have a spare 10" Samsung (Android) tablet that I can mount/use with the Endoscope.  Also have a 7" vga monitor that I could hook up directly to an automotive back-up camera.  I'm thinking that the Android Tablet with the Endoscope camera will be the way to go; but I'm open for suggestions!

Thanks!

🤔

9 minutes ago, HOGRIDER said:

Teed:

I definitely understand your position and appreciate your honest feedback!

Since I've never purchased an Endoscope, I'm wondering if the "semi rigid" cable is strong enough to support the camera being placed near the shell plate for a solid, non-shaking, view during operation?

I've had my eye on this one:  

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07QV83RSS/?coliid=IOA9DR8P09GA6&colid=1MM0GJ6KCYV6I&psc=1&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

Right now I have a spare 10" Samsung (Android) tablet that I can mount/use with the Endoscope.  Also have a 7" vga monitor that I could hook up directly to an automotive back-up camera.  I'm thinking that the Android Tablet with the Endoscope camera will be the way to go; but I'm open for suggestions!

Thanks!

🤔

Here's the one I got: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08127CGGM/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I also picked up these: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B084TZ4KM2/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I sort of half-assed twist tied the camera so that its looking right down into the case before it goes up into the bullet dropper.  I used another twistie thing to "secure" the endoscope cable to the case feeder support.  The cable is semi-rigid...enough that it seems to stay in place with no shaking...loaded about 500 rounds with it this way and I'm happy with the view on the screen.  Ultimately I'll fab up something more permanent but for now this works.  Oh yeah, the monitor itself is set on a stack of die boxes behind the press.  As I type this I realize it is ghetto AF, but I just wanted to see if it worked before I spent any effort making it look good.  No, I'm not taking any pictures of the setup as it stands today...lol.

1 hour ago, TeedOff said:

Here's the one I got: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08127CGGM/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I also picked up these: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B084TZ4KM2/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I sort of half-assed twist tied the camera so that its looking right down into the case before it goes up into the bullet dropper.  I used another twistie thing to "secure" the endoscope cable to the case feeder support.  The cable is semi-rigid...enough that it seems to stay in place with no shaking...loaded about 500 rounds with it this way and I'm happy with the view on the screen.  Ultimately I'll fab up something more permanent but for now this works.  Oh yeah, the monitor itself is set on a stack of die boxes behind the press.  As I type this I realize it is ghetto AF, but I just wanted to see if it worked before I spent any effort making it look good.  No, I'm not taking any pictures of the setup as it stands today...lol.

Thanks Teed for your input!

Think I'll try the Endoscope route.......if it doesn't satisfy my needs, I'll send it back and go with plan B.

👍

• 3 months later...

Whatever you decide to do you might want to order your Dillon press and/or accessories before December 31 because I just received my Jan/Feb Blue Press and the price of the 750 press is going up over $140 (new price starts at $679) and the RL1100 is going up $100 (new price is $2099). I did not look at accessories but Dillon usually goes up 5%-7% per year on all items...

On 12/9/2020 at 4:11 PM, 1911in9mm said:

Just ordered an 1100 myself last weekend.  Went with the no caliber small primer option in hopes it may appear sometime before next April.  We shall see. 

Not sure where you purchased this from, but dillon said they will no longer sell like this except through them. This was as of last week as I too had a other no caliber set on order through a vendor. 

Edited by nxfedlt1

Ordered through Bobcat Armament on Black Friday.  He’s been seeing them on a somewhat regular basis.  

4 hours ago, nxfedlt1 said:

Not sure where you purchased this from, but dillon said they will no longer sell like this except through them. This was as of last week as I too had a other no caliber set on order through a vendor.