Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

New CO shooter

Stdz

So my plan is to buy a dove tail optics plate for my CZ Shadow 2 to run it as CO gun. 

I can't decide between buying a used SRO or a DPP. I know the warranty on the DPP (life) is much better than Trijicons SRO (2 or 5 years). 

If I really like CO i'm going to get it machined. Any advice? 

My SRO’s have been great, have them mounted on an SP01 and SP01 Bull Shadow. The 5moa is super bright and really easy to pick up in all light conditions. 

I would also suggest if you do like carry optics is to just buy the Shadow 2 optics ready slide, I know it’s a bit of coin but you have the option to always use the factory slide in production if you want.

SRO, i currently have 2 DPP that are getting sent back to Leupold because they randomly shut off (a decently common issue) and I’m desperately wishing I had gotten my slide milled for an SRO. I will be seeing if a Sig Romeo pro 1 fits the slots which it should, which I will need to run for about a month or two while my DPPs are out getting repaired so that I can shoot my state sectional

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There is an upgrade from leupold for the battery issue.  I run the DPP On my Sig and I like the size of the glass.  I run the 2.5 MOA and for the most part it’s bright enough.  A little  brighter would be nice.  I don’t like the controls but the price was right.   

There is an upgrade from leupold for the battery issue.  I run the DPP On my Sig and I like the size of the glass.  I run the 2.5 MOA and for the most part it’s bright enough.  A little  brighter would be nice.  I don’t like the controls but the price was right.   

I agree with these comments as well. There was once or twice I wished it was slightly brighter, but nothing that killed a stage or anything like that. Also, the controls are annoying to say the least, but it works. It is a large window to look through as well, there is however a very small (maybe 1/8th inch) at the bottom the window where you cannot see the dot. Never had that be a problem though.

By an “upgrade from Leupold” you mean you have to send the red dot in and they fix it correct? Because that is what the gentleman from Leupold told me to do when I called in.

19 hours ago, looking4reloadingdeals said:

I agree with these comments as well. There was once or twice I wished it was slightly brighter, but nothing that killed a stage or anything like that. Also, the controls are annoying to say the least, but it works. It is a large window to look through as well, there is however a very small (maybe 1/8th inch) at the bottom the window where you cannot see the dot. Never had that be a problem though.

By an “upgrade from Leupold” you mean you have to send the red dot in and they fix it correct? Because that is what the gentleman from Leupold told me to do when I called in.

Are you saying that the DPP has a large window? Cause I thought the SRO had a larger window. 

How are people doing on this dots lasting as slide rides? It's pretty tough to beat the leopold "Just send it in and well fix it" warranty.

On 7/29/2020 at 4:29 PM, jcc7x7 said:

Egw Optic plate is easy to install.   Usually it will tap in place.

Or just a little fitting

That's good to know. I am worried about it being wobbly or not being tight but it sounds like it actually locks in pretty well

As far as the warranty goes...think about how much optics have changed in the last 5 years...don't you think they'll continue advancing?  In 5 years time that SRO will probably be outdated and you'll be ready for a new one anyways

Are you saying that the DPP has a large window? Cause I thought the SRO had a larger window. 

How are people doing on this dots lasting as slide rides? It's pretty tough to beat the leopold "Just send it in and well fix it" warranty.

I have only used a couple of dots so my opinion on the size of the window is very limited. That said, after I had my draw down on the new pistol I bought and put the DPP on, I have very few issues finding the dot if it wasn’t my fault with a crappy draw.

So, an update on the warranty. I called into Leupold today saying that I bought one, it started failing after 5-6k, not the worst thing ever, I bought another brand new one so I could continue shooting the rest of my season. That new one failed after ~1k (note, same letters in the serial number so likely the same exact issue showing themselves at different points in the life of the dot. They are both AF models which supposedly have a higher chance to fail even though it is the second most recent model, based on another thread on here and not my experience at all). I said I was worried because I bought the new one hoping to shoot my state sectional coming up without problems. The gentleman on the phone said he would hook me up since I bought two and had a level two match coming up. He sent me a shipping label and told me to send both of the dots in and they would have both of the broken dots fixed and back to me within two weeks (including shipping) using 3 day shipping from me to them, and the same coming back. I decided to keep one of the dots to continue practicing with, and to send one back and it will be back before my level 2 match which I will mount and shoot only a few rounds through to zero right before the level two match, then continue to shoot it after and see how it lasts.

This is certainly a testament to their customer service imo, and that they understand that the competitive shooters using their dots may have higher level needs over casual shooters? I’m not sure, but either way I am happy with my second conversation with customer service as my first one went “send it in and we’ll fix it”, and while he was entirely helpful and respectful on the phone, that was his final say. I didn’t say anything about a match coming up or anything, I took it as it was and bought a new one. So it seems that the commitment to Leupold and buying two DPP helped me out in the long run? Not sure, take it as it is. But, after this conversation I am less “SRO 100%” and happy Leupold stands behind their product even though the first time I called was different. Seems Leupold wants to take care of their compete everyday shooters? Although it does seem buying two Leupolds is the move from the start if you committing to the DPP.
Hopefully that helps someone.

On 7/29/2020 at 7:06 PM, looking4reloadingdeals said:

SRO, i currently have 2 DPP that are getting sent back to Leupold because they randomly shut off (a decently common issue) and I’m desperately wishing I had gotten my slide milled for an SRO. I will be seeing if a Sig Romeo pro 1 fits the slots which it should, which I will need to run for about a month or two while my DPPs are out getting repaired so that I can shoot my state sectional

Depends on who milled it. Romeo 1 Pro will not fit on my M&P slides milled by Primary Machine.

I only briefly looked through the SRO. It did seem narrower (due to its round shape compared to the DPP).  The SRO might be a tad bit taller.  

The DPP battery contact is held in place by tape (solder would just break) and has a tenancy to slide off the circuit board contact pads.   I think the upgrade has a new board and has more adhesive area.  I have the upgrade but I also added a thin plastic support between the battery contact and the rear of the housing to prevent the contact from sliding rearward off the circuit board pads over time.  I'm at about 3K rnds and so far no problem.

On 7/30/2020 at 7:39 PM, Stdz said:

I can beat their warranty with a Trijicon product, which are a whole hell of a lot more durable and robust than anything Leupold has ever made.