Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Are M&Ps the best option for Carry Optics?

jwilkinson6

I am shooting a Legion right now, but every time I handle an M&P with the Apex trigger, I wonder why I wasted the money on the Legion. The only hang ups I have are the lack of an Optics ready model and that stupid little piece that hangs out of the backstrap at the magwell.

It’s possible I live under a rock and there is news of an Optics ready model, but is there anything you can do to fix that annoying little piece that I’m sure no one but myself is concerned about?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CORE models are available for the 1.0 and 2.0 (probably tough to find a 2.0 at this point). In addition, you can have a regular slide milled for a specific mounting pattern of you prefer a specific dot without having to deal with plates.

I don't know of a quick and easy replacement part. The only replacement that comes to mind involves adding a magwell--obviously a no-go for CO.

Ifyou think about its function (it holds the backstrap in place) you might consider ditching the existing backstrap and filling the the frame with some compound (e.g. tungsten putty) and add a layer of silicon carbide or wrap it with something (like a Hogue, Talon, or Pachmyer grip sleeve). You get the benefit of added weight and you wouldn't have to deal with the rod that holds the backstrap in place.

Edited by Rez805

1 hour ago, jwilkinson6 said:

It’s possible I live under a rock and there is news of an Optics ready model, but is there anything you can do to fix that annoying little piece that I’m sure no one but myself is concerned about?

The good news about that part is it works like a little, partial, magwell and helps guide the magazine in. Wilson Combat uses the same style piece for their Berettas (but theirs are metal, of course).

Not sure what you mean about the piece that hangs out of the backstrap, but the Carry Optics models are labeled "C.O.R.E." (Competition Optics Ready Equipment), such as:
https://www.smith-wesson.com/firearms/performance-center-mp-9-m20-core-pro-series-5-barrel

I have been under the impression that they abandoned the C.O.R.E. models, but like I said.

The piece I’m talking about is what holds the backstrap on. I’d be all for just using some Jb weld and silicone carbide to hold the backstrap on then removing that extra piece.

Speaking of backstraps, is anyone making a brass replacement like they have for the canik? Now that essentially everything goes in CO and Production.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Oh no, they didn't abandon the CORE models. In fact, there was quite a bit of hype/excitement/"when will we see these in stock!!!!???" surrounding the 2.0 CORE release.

I think there was a thread about someone making a heavyweight version of the backstrap. I'll dig it up.

Edit: 

Edited by Rez805

5 hours ago, jwilkinson6 said:

The piece I’m talking about is what holds the backstrap on. I’d be all for just using some Jb weld and silicone carbide to hold the backstrap on then removing that extra piece.

Speaking of backstraps, is anyone making a brass replacement like they have for the canik? Now that essentially everything goes in CO and Production.

Ah right, I forgot about how that stuck out a bit, as I run mag-wells except on my Shield, and it doesn't have replaceable backstraps.

I suppose once you know what backstrap you like, you could always cut the "nub" off, but it will just look funny.

One of the local gunshops in Knoxville, TN had a couple of the new 2.0 Cores in stock just this last week. So does Smoky Mountain Guns and Ammo as of yesterday. And I believe they will ship to your local FFL.

Alas, I want one of the new 2.0 Subcompact or the 3.6" compact models...no luck in finding those at all....

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Anyone have feedback on the Crimson Trace optic that comes with the CORE's, that I have seen. I really like the Trijicon RMR and was thinking of just having my back up M&P Pro Series (1.0) milled for the RMR. But also would consider a new 2.0 (CORE if I can find one), if I can mount a RMR on it. Is it just a matter of a appropriate base plate? New to the Optics game but these old eyes can use some help.

• 4 weeks later...

Are they the "best option"? Only you can say. They are an option. They work well, the mags with TTI extensions will hold 23 + 1 with no mag "tuning", the last round slide lock works with 23 + 1. As good an option as any other plastic gun. 

Been shooting my CORE 1.0 for about a year now as my competition gun, with a original deltapoint. Gun's reliable, and the Apex trigger is very very nice. 

The only reasons I would choose a different gun is with the magwell and mag release being small (compared to CZ's). As well, the beavertail on the gen 1's make it hard for me to get as high as I'd like on the gun. I can get a higher grip on a Glock. But still, the bore axis is still much better than a 320. 

Other than that, it's light so I can't tap it as fast as a Shadow.  

On 7/28/2020 at 7:46 PM, SteelCityShooter said:

The 2.0 CORE is very much alive and well.   It's available (as much as anything is these days) in 4.25" and 5" versions and with plain and ported barrels.  Mine is a 5" plain barrel, SKU 11828 and I'm very happy with it.

Hows the trigger on the 2.0 COREs? Apex still a must-have upgrade?

The M&P is a good pistol, no doubt.  While you're looking, you might wish to check out the Canik TP9SFx, pretty much competition ready out of the box.  Trigger is good and can be made better easily, comes with 3 20-rd mags and 4 mounting plates for optics included in the purchase package.  Best deal by far for the money IMHO.  Whatever you decide, good luck and shoot straight!

On 10/9/2020 at 11:27 AM, Ben53 said:

The M&P is a good pistol, no doubt.  While you're looking, you might wish to check out the Canik TP9SFx, pretty much competition ready out of the box.  Trigger is good and can be made better easily, comes with 3 20-rd mags and 4 mounting plates for optics included in the purchase package.  Best deal by far for the money IMHO.  Whatever you decide, good luck and shoot straight!

Just keep in mind that the Canik's not IPSC legal, only USPSA legal. Great value though, and a good trigger. The bore axis is very very high though, so quite a bit harder to shoot fast compared to a M&P. It's possible to shoot fast, but just harder. 

On 10/9/2020 at 10:00 AM, OptimiStick said:

Hows the trigger on the 2.0 COREs? Apex still a must-have upgrade?

The stock trigger isn't bad, certainly better than the M&P 1.0 I used to own, but to me the Apex is indeed still a must-have upgrade.  I installed the DCAEK which includes the Apex sear, sear spring and Ultimate Striker Block.  I did not install the Apex trigger return spring that comes with the kit as it's supposed to make the trigger pull heavier.  Not what I want.  I've never installed one of Apex's replacement triggers as the factory hinged trigger doesn't bother me at all.  

Edited by SteelCityShooter

Shot an M&P 2.0 for several months and matches in IPSC Production Optics. Very nice gun! Also I tried the P320 X5, which feels similar, and the X5 legion, which feels much better. But now I shoot with a CZ Shadow 2 Optics Ready, which in my opinion is today's queen of Carry Optics guns. With a delightful trigger and heavy frame, the gun is much more forgiving of sloppy trigger work during high speed shooting, and autoforwards on reloads, which is something I miss from the previous generation of M&Ps.

On 10/8/2020 at 8:20 PM, robertg5322 said:

Are they the "best option"? Only you can say. They are an option. They work well, the mags with TTI extensions will hold 23 + 1 with no mag "tuning", the last round slide lock works with 23 + 1. As good an option as any other plastic gun. 

Are you using the grams springs and followers in that setup for 23 rds?  Thanks.

On 10/10/2020 at 4:27 PM, SteelCityShooter said:

The stock trigger isn't bad, certainly better than the M&P 1.0 I used to own, but to me the Apex is indeed still a must-have upgrade.  I installed the DCAEK which includes the Apex sear, sear spring and Ultimate Striker Block.  I did not install the Apex trigger return spring that comes with the kit as it's supposed to make the trigger pull heavier.  Not what I want.  I've never installed one of Apex's replacement triggers as the factory hinged trigger doesn't bother me at all.  

I picked up a 2.0 CORE, and the Apex kit. Will install that here shortly. The stock trigger is...odd. It's certainly lighter /crisper break than the 1.0. Still a ton of travel, though it's not gritty anymore. But interestingly, while dryfiring, I get intermittent dead trigger. After play with it, it has to do with the geometry of the hinge. If I don't put a tiny bit of sideways pressure on the trigger as I pull, it won't release the sear. But as soon as I put just a tiny bit of pressure inwards with my trigger finger, then it does. Hopefully the Apex solves that with the non-hinged trigger.