Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

CZ Custom RDS Baseplate Cut for SP-01 Shadow?

Tanders

Is anybody running a dot on a SP-01 Shadow with a CZ Custom RDS baseplate cut?  If so, how do you like it and what kind of optic lifespan did you get?  Any idea how the dot longevity compares to direct mounting?  I have heard people say that mounting to an adapter plate on the slide of a metal frame gun is more likely to beat up a dot because the attachment isn't as solid as direct mounting, but I'd be interested to hear from someone who has run this particular setup if that is actually true.

I have that exact setup....it works good for me so far.  I bought it used from a good buddy with an older jpoint on it.  He had put about 500 rounds thru it...I have probably put 3-4000 rounds?  Ive had to adjust the dot once since I sighted it in.  I've never heard about the adapter plate theory.

I really hate the idea of being tied to one brand (or family) of dot so I think this is the way to do it.  Also have a plate with iron sights on it that I can throw on if I want to shoot production.

In a perfect world all dots would have the same mounting pattern...wouldn't that be nice?!

I have a SP-01 Shadow with a CZ Custom baseplate cut.  I haven't had any issues with the Vortex Venom on it yet. 

As tightly as the plate fits the cut, I seriously doubt the RDS is subjected to any more impact that a slide that is cut specifically for one RDS.  I am convinced that the plate isn't moving, and the bosses and screws on the plate keep the RDS from moving.  

I also like the fact that I can change to another optic brand if I choose to do so.  

1 hour ago, Ken6PPC said:

I have a SP-01 Shadow with a CZ Custom baseplate cut.  I haven't had any issues with the Vortex Venom on it yet. 

As tightly as the plate fits the cut, I seriously doubt the RDS is subjected to any more impact that a slide that is cut specifically for one RDS.  I am convinced that the plate isn't moving, and the bosses and screws on the plate keep the RDS from moving.  

I also like the fact that I can change to another optic brand if I choose to do so.  

You have any idea how many rounds you've put through the gun with that dot?

17 minutes ago, Tanders said:

You have any idea how many rounds you've put through the gun with that dot?

Probably only a couple thousand, so I'm not much help to prove longevity.  Stuart at CZC could probably give you some data...  

I have one SP01 slide from CZC with the interchangeable plates and I have one direct/cut slide.  I can’t help on the reliability of the plate version but I would get the plate version over the direct cut again.  You are very limited with the direct cut end even if you think you know which red dot you want, you will likely change your mind 2 years down the road. Ask me how I know?  
My direct mount is for a Venom and the plate version is for a SRO, not really a fair comparison. As I also read the what you mentioned, I am running a plastic buffer from an S2 in my SP01 just for peace of mind. 

14 minutes ago, KlausN said:

I have one SP01 slide from CZC with the interchangeable plates and I have one direct/cut slide.  I can’t help on the reliability of the plate version but I would get the plate version over the direct cut again.  You are very limited with the direct cut end even if you think you know which red dot you want, you will likely change your mind 2 years down the road. Ask me how I know?  
My direct mount is for a Venom and the plate version is for a SRO, not really a fair comparison. As I also read the what you mentioned, I am running a plastic buffer from an S2 in my SP01 just for peace of mind. 

The S2 works OK with a buffer.  I use one in my S2 also.  Seems it was designed with the extra length of a buffer, so mine doesn't get chewed up like they do in my 1911's.  I won't use one in a 1911 for that reason.  

I’ve got the RDS plate system on my SP01 and SP01 Bull Shadow, both with SRO’s. The SP01 has 4K and the Bull has about 1k no issues with either one. When I had my Venom on my SP01 I maybe had 2k rounds on it before the dot went bad, pretty sure it was a defective dot I lost all elevation on that one.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 8/18/2020 at 7:19 PM, Malarky112 said:

I wasn't aware CGW has a plate system...do they?  I though they direct milled?

CGW uses a plate for RMR footprints, with or without a rear sight, they can direct mill a Venom/Doctor footprint as well a DPP, I believe.  CGW installed a plate and SRO on my SP01 and direct milled and installed a Venom on my PCR.

On 7/28/2020 at 5:04 AM, Tanders said:

I have heard people say that mounting to an adapter plate on the slide of a metal frame gun is more likely to beat up a dot because the attachment isn't as solid as direct mounting

I have an RMR riding on a P-10F with the OEM adapter plate for 10,482 rounds and counting.  No issues there.

Being a mechanical engineer I find no logic or physical explanation for the internet myth that you posted.  Correlation isn't indicative of causation.

Edited by SGT_Schultz

• 3 months later...

I have the CZC plate system on my SP-01 shadow. I got it for my Razor red dot which turned out to be a poor choice for a slide mounted dot. Super glad I got the plate system as I now use an SRO. Their plates are keyed into the slide, screwed down and the extractor pin goes through it. No chance for movement. 

Only problems I had with it were self inflicted. I didn't loctite the first dot and it came loose and chewed up the bosses on the plate. CZC was good enough to send me a new plate while I was waiting for VTX to send me a new dot. Long story short, after my 6th RZR I decided to go with SRO but CZC was out of rmr plates and I needed it before nationals so I had a local machinist remove what was left of the bosses from that first plate and put in steel bosses and tap holes for the SRO. 5-6000 rnds and no sign of letting up.

Plate system doesn't leave you married to a sight. There will always be something better.

On 8/28/2020 at 3:12 PM, SGT_Schultz said:

I have an RMR riding on a P-10F with the OEM adapter plate for 10,482 rounds and counting.  No issues there.

Being a mechanical engineer I find no logic or physical explanation for the internet myth that you posted.  Correlation isn't indicative of causation.

Somebody stayed awake in their statistics class!!  🙂

I have a CZ 75 Bull Shadow Optic Ready from CZC. Have a Sig Romeo1 PRO mounted on it, over 6,000 rounds, no hiccup either gun or red dot. In fact I still have the original battery in the Romeo1 PRO.

What's not to like??