Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Shock Bottle vs Armananov Gauge

WaltK

Hello Members

I recently acquired both the above 100 round gauges in 9mm. Out of a hundred rounds the Shock Bottle showed 

about 10 or so rounds sitting slightly high with one sitting a substantial bit higher. If I slightly push these rounds in they will go almost completely flush except for the extra high round.  When I placed these rounds in the Armananov gauge they all read flush.  What's that all about? I went to Shock Bottle's website  and read the FAQ section. Seems to make sense. I did do the plunk and rotate test and the high rounds did pass except for the extra high round which passed in the Armananov gauge. The barrel is a Kart fitted for a RO. I really don't know if I want to keep the Armananov gauge. Any real world experiences and or comments?

I like the SB because I can flip the rounds into my Dillon boxes.  If I get one that is tight in the SB I check it in a Dillon gauge.  If it passes the Dillon gauge It goes in the box, if not, it get recycled.

I did not know Lyman made a 100 round gauge.

The trick is to find a gauge that is smaller than your barrels chamber. So if a round sits proud in your gauge and fits your barrel you know your good. What I have learned is to use a maximum cartridge gauge, instead  of a gauge that is cut to minimum chamber dimensions. If your barrel is cut to minimum chamber dimensions, those dimensions are larger than a maximum case gauge dimensions. So any round that passes a maximum case gauge has to fit in a minimum cut chamber.

2 hours ago, 12glocks said:

I did not know Lyman made a 100 round gauge.

I just happened to see it while shopping online for powder and primers.  It was on sale for ~$80.

20200728_082103.jpg

Also I just learned that this gauge is available as a "match" or "super match" grade. My unit is bare aluminum. 

Is this the super match unit? So is the anodized unit just the match grade? I did sent them a email for clarification.

Just now, wdfwguy said:

I'll try and remember/find the site where I saw the sale...

But they're on the Lyman website if you just want more details

Yeah, I checked that out. But it is the full retail price. 

Called Dawson Precision. The gentleman stated that if the gauge is a "super" unit it will be marked as such. 

Also he stated the anodized gauges are slightly looser due to the anodizing process. 

Waiting on email from Shockbottle concerning this statement.

Edited by WaltK

Just got a reply from Shockbottle.  Man do they have quick excellent service!

Bare gauge is tight. Anodized gauge slightly looser. Who would have thought that.   

Case closed. Thanks for the replies. 

I don't know about shock bottle but my EGW 4 hole has no "throat".  A sized case will gauge but a loaded round with any bearing surface above the case mouth will not.

My Lyman single has a long throat so a new load must be verified by plonk.  

I have both and I find the Armanov to be a tad tighter than the Shockbottle, both are anodized black, but the Shockbottle's holes are a bit rounded over while the Armanov have sharp edges.

I also have both; but I did get the Armanov Case Gauge 3-in-1 bundle that included the OAL Checker and Brass Marking Stencil. 

I find myself primarily using the Armanov which comes with the free flip cover.  And, I like using the OAL Checker! 

This video offers up some of the highlights...............

https://youtu.be/JQwHfFfmMJs

• 1 year later...
On 7/27/2020 at 10:53 PM, MemphisMechanic said:

The shock bottle is the tightest gauge I have used, in addition to being rapid-fire because you’re case gauging 100 rounds at a time.

I like it because of both attributes.

Tighter than EGW? Cuz I have the EGW and thinking to buy the Shockbottle. 

I have the armanov case guage in 9mm I got it with the 3 n 1 bundle and have been very happy with it. The armonov is tighter than the chamber of my competition guns so I know any round that passes will work in my barrels. Any rounds that don't I plunk in the tightest barrel and if it passes that then it goes in the practice can. Any round that doesn't goes in the pull pile. I've been extremely happy with it and everything that came in the bundle plus it all has its own neat box to go in.

I don't get 99.99% but anything that doesn't gauge in my one-hole Wilson, I set aside and when I am done with the rest of the batch, I wipe them off and brush the gauge.  Most but not all will fit then.

We won't talk about the A-MERC cases that turned up in some range pickup the other day.

My hundo is tighter then all the 9mm barrels I have. I do find that every so often I will start to get a few cases not sitting flush in one hole but will in another hole. That's when I know it's time to clean it.