Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Shock Bottle vs Armananov Gauge

WaltK

Hello Members

I recently acquired both the above 100 round gauges in 9mm. Out of a hundred rounds the Shock Bottle showed 

about 10 or so rounds sitting slightly high with one sitting a substantial bit higher. If I slightly push these rounds in they will go almost completely flush except for the extra high round.  When I placed these rounds in the Armananov gauge they all read flush.  What's that all about? I went to Shock Bottle's website  and read the FAQ section. Seems to make sense. I did do the plunk and rotate test and the high rounds did pass except for the extra high round which passed in the Armananov gauge. The barrel is a Kart fitted for a RO. I really don't know if I want to keep the Armananov gauge. Any real world experiences and or comments?

I like the SB because I can flip the rounds into my Dillon boxes.  If I get one that is tight in the SB I check it in a Dillon gauge.  If it passes the Dillon gauge It goes in the box, if not, it get recycled.

I did not know Lyman made a 100 round gauge.

The trick is to find a gauge that is smaller than your barrels chamber. So if a round sits proud in your gauge and fits your barrel you know your good. What I have learned is to use a maximum cartridge gauge, instead  of a gauge that is cut to minimum chamber dimensions. If your barrel is cut to minimum chamber dimensions, those dimensions are larger than a maximum case gauge dimensions. So any round that passes a maximum case gauge has to fit in a minimum cut chamber.

Also I just learned that this gauge is available as a "match" or "super match" grade. My unit is bare aluminum. 

Is this the super match unit? So is the anodized unit just the match grade? I did sent them a email for clarification.

Called Dawson Precision. The gentleman stated that if the gauge is a "super" unit it will be marked as such. 

Also he stated the anodized gauges are slightly looser due to the anodizing process. 

Waiting on email from Shockbottle concerning this statement.

Edited by WaltK

I don't know about shock bottle but my EGW 4 hole has no "throat".  A sized case will gauge but a loaded round with any bearing surface above the case mouth will not.

My Lyman single has a long throat so a new load must be verified by plonk.  

I also have both; but I did get the Armanov Case Gauge 3-in-1 bundle that included the OAL Checker and Brass Marking Stencil. 

I find myself primarily using the Armanov which comes with the free flip cover.  And, I like using the OAL Checker! 

This video offers up some of the highlights...............

https://youtu.be/JQwHfFfmMJs