Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Please Critique my 4th match

Edwards30

Hey everyone, as the title says this is my 4th match shooting Uspsa. On this particular match I shot my classifier as a B

I am looking for any criticism you guys may have on where I can pickup time, maybe change some technique, or anything in between.

I am shooting production with a Glock 34

At the end of each video is a quick thing showing HF and time. Hopefully it’s long enough to pause on. 
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLC0EifAtRvYcSasYShGRRZl57l45Qz5rp

You're doing well for your 4th match and your accuracy is decent.

Here are some of my observations:

• You commonly shoot standing still with one leg forward as if your lower body was frozen in the middle of walking.
  • When you lean, you don't get low enough. You bend only at the waist, so that's forcing you to lean harder with your upper body. Look how the leg that's supporting all your weight is nearly fully extended.
  • Your biggest time loss is the absence of shooting on the move. A general rule is if your movement to the next shooting position still allows you to engage the targets you're already shooting at, then you should be moving and shooting.

I suggest dry firing position entry drills where you have to transition 90+ degrees. Notice your shoulder positioning, you want it so that they're neutrally open to the targets within your cone of fire. Right now your leading foot is way out there and that's forcing your upper body to be skewed one way.

Just be open to experimentation and cognizant of your body positioning.

P.S. I shot SWPL as well and squad with the GM that won your division. Feel free to sign up for NRG on 8/1 (PM squad 10) with Jon and I. 

Stage 3

Draw looked good.  You were stationary too long after the first shot.  After engaging the first target you need to be moving.  Your reloads need to be done while moving.  

I'm very impressed that it's only your 4th match.

My criticism would be learn to lower your body walk heel to toe and learn to shoot on the move.  I would also recommend you anticipate your reloads faster and perform them while moving from position to position.

Thanks for the replies from you two.

This was the first match I have ever tried any shooting on the move, I've been crouch walking around my place for a little while now while dry-firing to practice it haha.

It seems everyone has told me I need to get lower while shooting and in the match I feel like I am, but thats why video is so good I guess.

CClassforLife, I think the next match I am going to is the DWB on 16th I believe it is.  Then I will shoot SWPL again next month as well.

7 hours ago, CClassForLife said:

3 hours ago, stick said:

]

Looked great for a 4th match. The main takeaway would be that there's an almost 1:1 correlation between how much you practice and how much you improve. Do lots of good quality dryfire. Do lots of good quality livefire. 

There are a lot of training resources out there; I'd recommend Mike Seeklander's book. 

If you have a treadmill at home that's an easy way to practice moving with a gun. 

Don't ignore marksmanship/accuracy. Someone (maybe Mr. Stoeger?) said that after all the draws and reloads and movement.....you still need to be able to hit stuff. 

You’re doing quite well for your 4th match!

You’re good on accuracy, lots of A’s.

Draw looks good, too.

A couple items for your consideration:

Be ready to move the moment you break the last shot in each position.

Shoot on the move to the limits of your capability.  You did this when approaching the target on a few of the stages.  Given your accuracy, you’re ready to do more.  On stage 3, from the port, you can can engage all 3 targets while moving, you can roll right through that position on your way to the last position.

Plan your reloads so they happen while you’re on the move and finished before you reach your next position.

Dry fire, dry fire, dry fire, that’s where the gains happen!  I agree with the comment above about Seeklander, and I personally have used Ben Stoeger’s books.

Again, great job, and kudos for being open to constructive comments!

12 hours ago, Jetskidawg said:

You’re doing quite well for your 4th match!

You’re good on accuracy, lots of A’s.

Draw looks good, too.

A couple items for your consideration:

Be ready to move the moment you break the last shot in each position.

Shoot on the move to the limits of your capability.  You did this when approaching the target on a few of the stages.  Given your accuracy, you’re ready to do more.  On stage 3, from the port, you can can engage all 3 targets while moving, you can roll right through that position on your way to the last position.

Plan your reloads so they happen while you’re on the move and finished before you reach your next position.

Dry fire, dry fire, dry fire, that’s where the gains happen!  I agree with the comment above about Seeklander, and I personally have used Ben Stoeger’s books.

Again, great job, and kudos for being open to constructive comments!

Thanks for taking the time to make the comments.  
I agree 100% with the fact I am confirming on my shots before moving.  When I watch the video is drives me mad as in real time I feel like I'm flying through.

I have the DryFireMag for my Glock and I feel like that has substantially improved my results.  I'm also basically crouch walking around my home when practicing to get used to shooting on the move.  This was literally my first time practicing shooting on the move with live ammo.  

I'm fairly happy with my times in each stage, if I can catch my accuracy up to my speed then I would be ready to start pushing the speed again.

41 minutes ago, Edwards30 said:

Thanks for taking the time to make the comments.  
I agree 100% with the fact I am confirming on my shots before moving.  When I watch the video is drives me mad as in real time I feel like I'm flying through.

I have the DryFireMag for my Glock and I feel like that has substantially improved my results.  I'm also basically crouch walking around my home when practicing to get used to shooting on the move.  This was literally my first time practicing shooting on the move with live ammo.  

I'm fairly happy with my times in each stage, if I can catch my accuracy up to my speed then I would be ready to start pushing the speed again.

You’re way ahead of where most people are with this few matches.  An interesting thing you may experience down the road, is that on your best stages, you’ll feel like it was slow motion, at least not rushed, because your economy of movement will improve with less stops and starts.  It will flow.  Looking forward to seeing your progress!

15 minutes ago, Jetskidawg said:

An interesting thing you may experience down the road, is that on your best stages, you’ll feel like it was slow motion, at least not rushed, because your economy of movement will improve with less stops and starts.  It will flow. 

This

I'm starting to see that phenomenon in my development.

Looks really good and I agree with SGT_Schultz, your transitions (and your movement) seem to get faster during the match.  You'll gain time being more aggressive in moving from one shooting position to the next and as others have pointed out, reloading while moving to those shooting positions.

On 8/7/2020 at 10:24 AM, SGT_Schultz said:

OP, the polish plate rack on stage 6 was dope.  Nicely done.

You've been given tons of good advice here.  Your target to target transitions seemed to get faster as the match went along.

On 8/8/2020 at 9:19 AM, mvmojo said:

Looks really good and I agree with SGT_Schultz, your transitions (and your movement) seem to get faster during the match.  You'll gain time being more aggressive in moving from one shooting position to the next and as others have pointed out, reloading while moving to those shooting positions.

Thanks for the replies.  For some reason I'm not getting the emails on my own thread.  I completely agree as the match went on I seemed faster.  
Could this be mitigated by doing some more dry fire before a match?  I spent 30 minutes before leaving the house to practice reloads and transitions.  I wonder if I could be doing more.