Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Trigger Upgrade for S&W M&P 9PC 4.25”

ICEMAN550

I have the performance center M&P 9 (gen 1) with RMR. I recently inherited it and never spent much time with M&P besides firing a few magazines of friends guns. I usually stick with my Glock 17 and now the Sig P320.  How does the M&P compare with a trigger upgrade?  I really don’t like the plastic hinged trigger. Is the apex flat trigger better? Since it only has the 4.25” barrel Im not sure what to do with it. Since it has the RMR I was thinking of trying in USPSA carry optics. 

Edited by ICEMAN550
Correction

I ran the hinged trigger for a couple of years. I ended up using their polymer curved trigger with the competition internals (non-forward set sear, but the loop is open so the break-point is pretty far forward . . . it just has a ton of overtravel).

The flat face is pretty nice from what I recall (I shot a buddy's setup for a match with the flat face + forward set sear kit). Very nice break and short reset. I don't have much experience with the sig/Glock, so I can't really make any comparisons.

I don't think you're really at a disadvantage with a 4.25". My loads are coming in at 137pf and they feel great and more importantly I understand how the gun is going to feel with the load I'm using. It's hard for me to estimate the advantage of chasing the power factor floor, so I just set my press and go with it.

One thing to note (I didn't see this mentioned in your post), the ported barrel would put you into Open Division.

9 hours ago, Rez805 said:

I ran the hinged trigger for a couple of years. I ended up using their polymer curved trigger with the competition internals (non-forward set sear, but the loop is open so the break-point is pretty far forward . . . it just has a ton of overtravel).

The flat face is pretty nice from what I recall (I shot a buddy's setup for a match with the flat face + forward set sear kit). Very nice break and short reset. I don't have much experience with the sig/Glock, so I can't really make any comparisons.

I don't think you're really at a disadvantage with a 4.25". My loads are coming in at 137pf and they feel great and more importantly I understand how the gun is going to feel with the load I'm using. It's hard for me to estimate the advantage of chasing the power factor floor, so I just set my press and go with it.

One thing to note (I didn't see this mentioned in your post), the ported barrel would put you into Open Division.

I forgot about the ported barrel putting me in open. It’s been a couple years since I have shot a match. If I pick up an after market non ported would that be legal for carry optics?

I forgot about the ported barrel putting me in open. It’s been a couple years since I have shot a match. If I pick up an after market non ported would that be legal for carry optics?

Yes, I suggest an Apex Semi Drop in.

16 hours ago, ICEMAN550 said:

How does the M&P compare with a trigger upgrade?  I really don’t like the plastic hinged trigger. Is the apex flat trigger better?

The Apex flat face trigger kit is really quite nice. Mine runs at about 4# with very little over-travel and a nice crisp break. It's as good as any striker fired trigger I have tried with friends around the range.

2 hours ago, BobRockefeller said:

The Apex flat face trigger kit is really quite nice. Mine runs at about 4# with very little over-travel and a nice crisp break. It's as good as any striker fired trigger I have tried with friends around the range.

I also run the Apex FSS Flat faced trigger with competition springs.  My trigger pulls at about 2.5lbs and has very little pre-travel and a short reset.

2 hours ago, stick said:

I also run the Apex FSS Flat faced trigger with competition springs.  My trigger pulls at about 2.5lbs and has very little pre-travel and a short reset.

Did you guys reporting the great trigger pulls with the Apex FSS triggers also install the Apex sear and Ultimate Striker Block?  I've installed only the Apex sear and striker block while keeping the factory trigger and springs and they alone made a huge improvement over the factory trigger pulls.  I wonder how much effect the Apex trigger itself can have.

Edited by SteelCityShooter

1 minute ago, SteelCityShooter said:

Did you guys reporting the great trigger pulls with the Apex FSS triggers also install the Apex seat and Ultimate striker block?  I've installed the Apex sear and striker block while keeping the factory trigger and springs and they alone made a huge improvement over the factory trigger pulls.  I wonder how much effect the Apex trigger itself can have.

I installed the whole kit - trigger, trigger return spring, sear, sear spring, striker block, and striker block spring. Other than the trigger return spring, I can imagine that the parts you installed would be most of the improvement. But I had to get rid of the stock plastic, curved, and hinged trigger.

31 minutes ago, BobRockefeller said:

I installed the whole kit - trigger, trigger return spring, sear, sear spring, striker block, and striker block spring. Other than the trigger return spring, I can imagine that the parts you installed would be most of the improvement. But I had to get rid of the stock plastic, curved, and hinged trigger.

Thanks, that's what I assumed.  A lot of shooters don't like the OEM hinged trigger but I never had a problem with it. 

20 hours ago, SteelCityShooter said:

Did you guys reporting the great trigger pulls with the Apex FSS triggers also install the Apex sear and Ultimate Striker Block?  I've installed only the Apex sear and striker block while keeping the factory trigger and springs and they alone made a huge improvement over the factory trigger pulls.  I wonder how much effect the Apex trigger itself can have.

I installed the competition springs.