Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Cancelling matches gracefully

There have been a bunch of matches getting cancelled this year, some more gracefully then others. What do you think is the best way to handle this as a Match Director? What aspects of the cancelations are the most frustrating to you as a competitor?

A canceled match is a canceled match. Graceful or not it’s important to be decisive and do it early enough to allow shooters time to schedule elsewhere or in a makeup match. 
  If COVID keeps this up there will be even more cancellations, probably without makeups. 

I would prefer a short direct email. I'm probably in the minority but I don't want a long story about the how and why and gosh we're sorry.

Just a it's canceled, thank you for your interest and here's your full refund. All the other stuff can be somewhere else for a person to access or request. 

Edited by rowdyb

I'd like to know as soon as you know you might have/want to cancel, even if you don't do it right then so alternate plans can be made.

I also want an e-mail, not just a posting on your facebook or website or twitter account or ParaGram or Enos that I might not ever see.

4 hours ago, shred said:

I'd like to know as soon as you know you might have/want to cancel, even if you don't do it right then so alternate plans can be made.

I also want an e-mail, not just a posting on your facebook or website or twitter account or ParaGram or Enos that I might not ever see.

Exactly.

On 7/27/2020 at 7:17 AM, rowdyb said:

I would prefer a short direct email. I'm probably in the minority but I don't want a long story about the how and why and gosh we're sorry.

Just a it's canceled, thank you for your interest and here's your full refund. All the other stuff can be somewhere else for a person to access or request. 

Yes. We all know the reasons. Just tell me ASAP and we'll move on.

• 4 months later...
On 8/1/2020 at 6:32 AM, shred said:

This!

It certainly would be considerate to the shooting community to inform everyone as soon as possible.  The there is Governor Whitmer.  She is hell bent on destroying the Michigan economy while dressing up as some sort of empress.  Since the Michigan Supreme Court slapped her down, ruling that her executive orders over-stepped her authority, she just has the Michigan Department of Health and Human Services (MDHHS) issue the orders she dictates.  The previous one was issued December 8th and went into effect December 9th.   Another one was just issued on December 18th and went into effect December 21st.

When the state locks you our of your clubs indoor pistol range on this short notice, it just plain sucks.

BC

whitless.jpg

2 hours ago, BillChunn said:

It certainly would be considerate to the shooting community to inform everyone as soon as possible.  The there is Governor Whitmer.  She is hell bent on destroying the Michigan economy while dressing up as some sort of empress.  Since the Michigan Supreme Court slapped her down, ruling that her executive orders over-stepped her authority, she just has the Michigan Department of Health and Human Services (MDHHS) issue the orders she dictates.  The previous one was issued December 8th and went into effect December 9th.   Another one was just issued on December 18th and went into effect December 21st.

When the state locks you our of your clubs indoor pistol range on this short notice, it just plain sucks.

BC

whitless.jpg

WHY , are you complying with illegal edicts? 
Will you do the same when she tells you that guns are bad and turn all of them in to the local PD ?  - No need to answer, we already know.