Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

BEST PRIMERS? Small Pistol CCI vs Winchester?

Joeg26er

Winchester are easier to ignite.

CCI run through most Dillon presses better. I prefer CCI because my guns aren’t spung lightly, and will eat anything.

I often load CCI 550s - the magnum primers that are even harder - becuase they’ve always been easiest to find.

Edited by MemphisMechanic

I like the Federal match primers the best, they're the easiest to set off (necessary with some guns when using lightened striker/hammer springs) and run through the press great.

That said, these days the best primers are whatever ones are in-stock or you can actually find lol! 🤪

20 minutes ago, Joeg26er said:

Just saw 5,000 sell on GB for $700 to $625 plus shipping ! Ouch

I honestly wish people would stop, and just refuse to buy anything from these price-gouging scumbags!

Yeah, I'm a capitalist too, but the members of the gun community who hoard ammo/components just so they can turn around and gouge shooters who just need the stuff to actually shoot are the lowest of the low IMO.

4 minutes ago, Joeg26er said:

not sure it's actually price gouging when it's an auction? Seems like that's the buyer's bidding it up to what they are willing to pay?

It's capitalizing on a shortage to make a buck (while at the same time many of the same people are buying up all the ammo/components they can get their hands on, creating/perpetuating the shortages). I understand it's an auction site and the price ends up where buyers drive it... but for me it doesn't excuse or forgive the unscrupulousness.

I don't even use small pistol primers in any of my handgun, maybe if I reload 380. I use CCI small rifle primers for everything. I've had no problems at all. It saves me a lot of money not having to buy small pistol primers and small rifle primers,  and I use up Less storage space. Just saying

I prefer CCI over Winchester, but I take what I can get.  Right now I have 8k CCI SPP and 200 Winchester LPP.  I'm loading 9mm more than 45acp, so I have more SPP.  I've never had a problem with either of them, My XL650 loads them all.

Winchester primers seem to be the least consistent on size/shape, and I've had them jam up my primer feed and pickup tubes. But once they're seated, I haven't had a problem. Right now, I'll buy anything I can get. I was lucky to pick up an extra 5k Win SPPs from Powder Valley just a couple weeks ago.

On 7/26/2020 at 11:37 AM, ck1 said:

I honestly wish people would stop, and just refuse to buy anything from these price-gouging scumbags!

Yeah, I'm a capitalist too, but the members of the gun community who hoard ammo/components just so they can turn around and gouge shooters who just need the stuff to actually shoot are the lowest of the low IMO.

An auction setting cannot be price gouging because the consumers set the retail price.

It is all just supply and command as we have all been taught by Ricky LaFleur.

On 7/27/2020 at 2:46 AM, usmc1974 said:

I don't even use small pistol primers in any of my handgun, maybe if I reload 380. I use CCI small rifle primers for everything. I've had no problems at all. It saves me a lot of money not having to buy small pistol primers and small rifle primers,  and I use up Less storage space. Just saying

I was desperate one time, out of small pistol primers, and needed more to keep shooting this local weekly competition. I found a box of small rifle benchrest primers and thought I was getting utterly ripped off paying like $60 for it. They worked fine in my 9mm, though. I believe the amount of bang in them was the same as small pistol primers and the only difference was the hardness of the cup, but my Beretta had no problem igniting them, so I was golden.

Several years ago during a previous shortage I put in for a club buy that I was convinced would never come through, and miracle of miracles it did, and I managed to take ownership of an entire case (over 12k) of small pistol primers for what would by any recent standard be a song. I think I ended up paying like $240 or so for it. If I were uncrupulously capitalist and didn't need to keep shooting right now it would appear I could make a small fortune off what's left of those primers. Geez.

13 hours ago, Sleigher said:

I believe the amount of bang in them was the same as small pistol primers.

I was told by a well experience shooter and reloader never use small pistol primers when loading rifle rounds. They are not as hot and cannot ignite the large amount of gunpowder even in 223 you will end up blowing up your weapon and possibly yourself

9 hours ago, usmc1974 said:

I was told by a well experience shooter and reloader never use small pistol primers when loading rifle rounds. They are not as hot and cannot ignite the large amount of gunpowder even in 223 you will end up blowing up your weapon and possibly yourself

Never heard that. If the powder is right same basic burn. What I did hear was the pistol primers are softer and will possibly slam fire with rifle bolts which don’t have firing pin springs. Additionally pistol primers can pierce through, something I have personally seen with AR based PCC shooting Federal SPP. 

On 8/1/2020 at 6:55 PM, HesedTech said:

Never heard that. If the powder is right same basic burn. What I did hear was the pistol primers are softer and will possibly slam fire with rifle bolts which don’t have firing pin springs. Additionally pistol primers can pierce through, something I have personally seen with AR based PCC shooting Federal SPP. 

No idea about hardness, I will say I have loaded midlevel 45/70 with winchester L pistol, seemed to work just fine in my Ruger #1. Although no slam fire issues to worry about.
I a kinda upset about this winchester thing. When I bought my Dillon in the 90's CCI were notorious for not working.  So always used winchester. After about a 10 year break I got back into shooting recently ordered a bunch of Winchester and now have had some problems. Jammed in the tubes. Seems 1 bad primer in every box of 100 from this last 1k brick I opened. 1 had a discolored primer I didnt use, another actually had a single small pistol primer in the box.  Guess it is CCI and federal for me from now on. Problem for me now is I am sitting on old CCI and New Winchester,,,   

Edited by Joe4d